PDA

View Full Version : OT: recommend a really good hunting boot?

veggieburger
10-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Currently I'm using my old Salomon trail runners to traipse across the hills, mud and trails. Not ideal! What I don't want is a pair of camo boots that look like something out of desert storm. I'm thinking a nice, rich looking pair of Danners or Red Wing leather boots with an aggressive tread and 6 or 8 inch height. The issue is that I have a narrow foot, and these boots tend to fit wide....plus being leather, they stretch quite a bit.

Any advice?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7072/7193893418_e7bbe84955_z.jpg

avalonracing
10-10-2014, 10:14 AM
"Veggieburger" is looking for a "Hunting" boot.

rnhood
10-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I like the Browning Featherweight upland boots made from Kangaroo leather. Lightweight and mobile, and plenty rugged. Cabelas offers their version and other vendors may offer an equivalent. About 2 lbs per pair. Great boots.

sashae
10-10-2014, 10:21 AM
I don't know if you're looking for more full-leather or a pac boot, but Schnee's (http://www.schnees.com/category/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots) makes AMAZING pac boots, and the hunter and extreme models have very aggressive tread. For full leather, White's (http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=449) and Danner (http://www.danner.com/product/hunt/) both make great boots.

jmoore
10-10-2014, 10:26 AM
I don't know if you're looking for more full-leather or a pac boot, but Schnee's (http://www.schnees.com/category/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots) makes AMAZING pac boots, and the hunter and extreme models have very aggressive tread. For full leather, White's (http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=449) and Danner (http://www.danner.com/product/hunt/) both make great boots.

I have the Schnees Hunter 2 and they are great boots. Really fantastic.

The answer to this really depends on the type of weather you will be hunting in. Cold wet and rocky will need a different boot than dry grassland or South Texas. I think I have more hunting boots than I do bikes or guns, which is saying something.

If budget is no issue, then Russell Moccasin's are the answer. They can custom make whatever you want.

veggieburger
10-10-2014, 10:31 AM
"Veggieburger" is looking for a "Hunting" boot.

Yeah, I like to mix a little bit of ground venison with my veggieburgers. Num num.

likebikes
10-10-2014, 10:31 AM
redwing 899

veggieburger
10-10-2014, 10:32 AM
I don't know if you're looking for more full-leather or a pac boot, but Schnee's (http://www.schnees.com/category/Made-In-Montana-Pac-Boots) makes AMAZING pac boots, and the hunter and extreme models have very aggressive tread.

Those Schnees are lovely! Never heard of them before today...

jmoore
10-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Those Schnees are lovely! Never heard of them before today...

Get them. You will not be disappointed. Here are mine in the field a few weeks back in Colorado.

sashae
10-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I have the short Hunter II as well and absolutely love em. Super comfy.

Likes2ridefar
10-10-2014, 10:50 AM
nevermind dont see the ones I remember being made.

EricEstlund
10-10-2014, 10:52 AM
On the Redwing site you can search by width. I have an A/ B width foot, and many of the "heritage" type boots (Danner, Wolverine, etc) are just to wide in a generous D.

If you want a logger/ packer type boot and have more money to spend, the White and Wesco offerings are very nice, and available in narrow and custom sizes.

Ken Robb
10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Since fit trumps all I would go to stores that have wide selections to try on. REI sells lots of boots though not "hunting boots" per se. A mega-store like Cabella's might make for one-stop shopping.

GScot
10-10-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't know about the Wolverine Heritage line offering widths other than D or EEE. If they do I can recommend them with two thumbs up for style and function. And the chrome tan leather can be cleaned and buffed up to like new after a weekend of stomping through muddy woods.

EricEstlund
10-10-2014, 11:35 AM
They don't. Their M is roughly a D.

CNY rider
10-10-2014, 11:56 AM
The classic LL Bean boot is a serviceable hunting boot at a reasonable price and it lasts forever.
The only drawback I have found is traction in wet snow is not great. I don't like having them on when we have something heavy to drag on wet/slick ground.

Last year I happened to look at Orvis website summer sale. They had a boot from Le Chameux on sale. They only had a few pairs, at greater than 50% off. My size was one of them. I took a flier and really lucked out. They are a perfect hunting boot. I wear them all winter long for sledding, shoveling etc. as well.
Prices are ridiculous but if you happen into a pair on sale give it a try.

redir
10-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Depends on where you hunt of course but I've always liked the duck boots.

veggieburger
10-10-2014, 12:27 PM
The classic LL Bean boot is a serviceable hunting boot at a reasonable price and it lasts forever.

Yeah, I was looking at those. I love the fact that they are waterproof, but with a foot entirely surrounded by rubber, I have to believe you'd have a pair of sweaty feet after an hour hiking into the bush.

Likes2ridefar
10-10-2014, 01:09 PM
The only drawback I have found is traction in wet snow is not great. I don't like having them on when we have something heavy to drag on wet/slick ground.

microspikes or similar will solve that problem.

Likes2ridefar
10-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I was looking at those. I love the fact that they are waterproof, but with a foot entirely surrounded by rubber, I have to believe you'd have a pair of sweaty feet after an hour hiking into the bush.

anything that is waterproof is essentially the same thing. goretex is basically an expensive plastic booty hidden in a shoe. it's a big secret joke that it doesn't breathe. 3% maybe? barely better than a trash bag.

parris
10-10-2014, 03:02 PM
I"ve had very good service from the Cabelas Kangaroo upland boots as well as the traditional L.L. Bean boot. My one issue with the Cabela boots is that it's got a sole that's a little mild for lack of a better term. Something like the air bob soles that are on many boots I could see being better.

A buddy of mine who was a pretty hard core upland hunter liked good quality light hiking boots. He found that for him and what he did they were his best option.

nighthawk
10-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Danner Pronghorns get my vote. Super comfortable to me. I wear them hunting and doing field work: hiking, bushwhacking through brush, all day in all kinds of weather and I never need to worry about my feet.

pbarry
10-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Had a pair of Danner Quarrys as my work boots for the last year. Heel sitching blew out after 2-3 months, and the leather on the toe box marred easily, enough to require protection goo to make 'em last. And they weren't waterproof from day one. They are super comfortable tho, and offer a lot of support. YMMV with other models.

I hunt in Asolo medium weight GTX hiking boots, with Mountain Hardware gators. They get a lot more trail use than just a few days during the hunting season.

cp43
10-10-2014, 06:19 PM
I have no experience with their boots, but Filson is what comes to mind when I think of hunting boots and clothing. I don't know about widths, but they're probably worth a look, if you haven't already.

Chris

jmoore
10-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Three pages about HUNTING boots and no one has chimed in with a pissy anti-hunting comment yet.

Things are looking up around here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

yakstone
10-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Danner makes a great boot but the majority of them are now made in China - IIRC the Pronghorn is one that is still USA made - I have a pair of those; great boots.
I hunt deer and elk in Colorado as well as upland birds along with pheasant in South Dakota, etc.
My #1 boot is Kenetrek for comfort and features. Made in Italy and an all around solid boot.

Hokiemon
10-11-2014, 08:22 PM
They are expensive, but they are the best I have ever owned and last for a long time. When it is time for repair, they are fast and very reasonable.

pbarry
10-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Just to add to the choices: Gokey boots rock. Fit like a glove. Bought by Orvis in the last few years., so no certainty on sizing/quality, but trust Orvis has continued the legacy.

gearguywb
10-12-2014, 06:29 AM
I have Schnee pack boots (like the pic on this thread) and a couple of pairs of Danners. Right tool for the right job.

fuzzalow
10-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Three pages about HUNTING boots and no one has chimed in with a pissy anti-hunting comment yet.

Things are looking up around here

No, this place is not as virulently anti-hunting in sentiment as you would like to believe. It is even tolerant and dismissive of your taunts that anti-hunting comments are "pissy".

I respect your views on hunting. I do not agree with your tactic of parading your enthusiasm for it as an affront and an incite to those that are not of your ilk. This forum is habitually positive with a constructive outlook. No one else but you has taken the opportunism in a thread discussing HUNTING boots to take an ad hominem and a non-sequitar to the topic of political views on hunting. Capish?

audiisaac
10-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I too have narrow feet. I bet redwing boots for two reasons. One, most are USA made, the second is you can get any boot in Any width.

EricEstlund
10-12-2014, 12:56 PM
That's not quite true, but they do have a wider range of narrower boots then the other popular US brands.

grawk
10-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Danner, Herman survivors, and H&H always served me well.