PDA

View Full Version : Giro shoes

axel23
10-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I had the opportunity to try out several Giro road shoes over the summer and thought I’d share my observations. Most of my impressions reflect what you’ve already read on-line, but if you’re in the market, you might find this useful.

Empire.
These are lace-up models and are easily the most stylish cycling shoes I’ve seen. They are light (215 grams for size 42.5) and stiff. There is a newer model which I did not try (the Empire SLX, which is even lighter). The Empires are endorsed by Taylor Phinney, who sees no issues with lace adjustment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOwrQuuF8Oc
My personal experience was less positive. I wasn’t able to get the tension where I wanted it at the start of the ride and of course adjusting it during the ride isn’t possible. That said, I do think with a little practice you could probably get it right but it struck me as too fussy.

Prolight SLX.
Like the Empire, there is also a newer model available, the SLX II, which I did not try. I can only hope it addresses my deal-breaking concern: the upper Velcro strap of the Prolight is simply too short. I don’t have an especially high arch, but even so the top strap needed to be an inch longer. Without the ability to fold over properly, you don’t get a secure closure. Still, this is a fabulous shoe. Levi Leipheimer was said to have a hand in the development (or is that a foot?). I remember my old three-strap Shimanos and I loved them. Same here. The lightness is immediately noticeable and they are plenty stiff.

Factor ACC.
The Factor was the most comfortable of the Giro shoes I tried. It gave my foot the most support and was the most easily adjustable. Compared to the others, however, it was the heaviest and the least ventilated. If you ‘re in Texas in the summer, a cool shoe is a real plus. This turns out to be the shoe I kept.

Climb01742
10-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Thank you for sharing your impressions. How do the shoes run as far as width? Is the forefoot wide enough not to squeeze your toes? And how about footbeds? Do the stock Giro footbeds offer good support? Again, thanks for sharing. I've been curious about Giros.

Lovetoclimb
10-09-2014, 09:06 PM
I found the exact opposite issue with the Prolights, the 1st gen was perfect, but the 2nd gen (SLX II) was not nearly as good with straps that were several inches too long.

axel23
10-09-2014, 09:29 PM
I found the exact opposite issue with the Prolights, the 1st gen was perfect, but the 2nd gen (SLX II) was not nearly as good with straps that were several inches too long.

Yeah, when I was looking over reviews of the 1st gen SLX I came across reactions just like mine ("top strap too short! had to return them"), and then a few like yours. There are a couple of possibilities. One is that Giro was not consistent and that the strap length varied by model. The other is that there is greater variation in arch height (and foot shape) than I realized.

Checking the strap length before committing to them would be a very good idea.

axel23
10-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Thank you for sharing your impressions. How do the shoes run as far as width? Is the forefoot wide enough not to squeeze your toes? And how about footbeds? Do the stock Giro footbeds offer good support? Again, thanks for sharing. I've been curious about Giros.

I have a medium to wide foot and I found the Giro toe box to be just fine. I did try the Sidi Megas and they were too wide. I felt like I was sloshing around in the shoe.

Giro prides itself on its adjustable insoles, with removable inserts for arch height. I imagine that the arch wedgies will satisfy most people.

The moldable insole that comes with top-of-the-line Shimanos is probably one the best options on the market, but I prefer a simple flat insole whether I'm riding Sidis or Giros.

Size-wise, I fit a 44.5 Sidi and a 44 in Diadora, Shimano, and Giro. Hope that helps.

cinema
10-09-2014, 09:59 PM
I was always curious about the shoes with laces. Decided I didn't want to risk dealing with the laces getting caught on the chainrings. have you run into any trouble with that?

I ended up with terraduras which I use as road shoes. Sidis were comfortable on the bike but I hate walking in stilletos so I use these heavy duty hiking mtb shoes on the road, fredly for sure. dont mind the weight. I am a size 9 and the 43s fit pretty good. I do wonder if i could get better cleat placement on a 42.5 though. Good shoe for the closeout price I got on em, $100.

rwerkudara
10-09-2014, 10:21 PM

There are lines on the end of the middle and top strap that you can use as a guide to cut them.

axel23
10-09-2014, 10:30 PM
I was always curious about the shoes with laces. Decided I didn't want to risk dealing with the laces getting caught on the chainrings. have you run into any trouble with that?

I ended up with terraduras which I use as road shoes. Sidis were comfortable on the bike but I hate walking in stilletos so I use these heavy duty hiking mtb shoes on the road, fredly for sure. dont mind the weight. I am a size 9 and the 43s fit pretty good. I do wonder if i could get better cleat placement on a 42.5 though. Good shoe for the closeout price I got on em, $100.
There's a little elastic loop thingy on the tongue that you can tuck the laces into.

old fat man
10-10-2014, 11:43 AM
I've been extremely happy with the fit, durability, adjustability, stiffness, looks, etc. of the Giro Factors. I have a pair in the box waiting (now 2 years) for the first pair to wear out. I would not bother with the Prolight velcro only or the lace up Empire. The Factors are perfect for me.

ByronApp
10-10-2014, 08:09 PM
I've been extremely happy with the fit, durability, adjustability, stiffness, looks, etc. of the Giro Factors. I have a pair in the box waiting (now 2 years) for the first pair to wear out. I would not bother with the Prolight velcro only or the lace up Empire. The Factors are perfect for me.

Agreed. I also like that you can get a very tight fit and yet the toebox stays relatively airy so circulation isn't cut off to your toes. I've had my pair for two years now (almost worn out) and it's my favorite cycling shoe I've ever worn.

Climb01742
10-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Has anyone switched to Giro from Specialized? Curious about how close they are size-wise, meaning is a 44 S-works a 44 in a Giro? Thx.

bewheels
10-11-2014, 05:31 AM
This is obviously a 'different strokes for different folks' comment -

Like others here, I started all this cycling silliness in the days when all shoes were lace-ups. They were fine. It is what we had. Once I got a pair of non-lace-up shoes I realized what a pain in the a$$ the laces were.
- On the fly adjustment
- Quick tension fine tuning
- No need to think about the 'tie' in relation to the chainrings
- No need to worry about them coming untied during a ride/race...it is not good.

...There is a reason that everyone went lace-less.

Kirk Pacenti
10-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I'll admit that am a little bit afraid to go with laces, but I am sorely tempted to buy these, my current MTB shoes are shot...

http://www.giro.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/479x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/i/giro_s_empirevr90_silverhighlightyellow_profile.jp g

r_mutt
10-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Has anyone switched to Giro from Specialized? Curious about how close they are size-wise, meaning is a 44 S-works a 44 in a Giro? Thx.

giro factors = 43

specialized s-works - 42.5

the giro factor has more toe box room. s-works (newer model 2012 onward) has narrower toe box than previous model, and is less roomy mid-foot.

Climb01742
10-11-2014, 09:01 AM
giro factors = 43

specialized s-works - 42.5

the giro factor has more toe box room. s-works (newer model 2012 onward) has narrower toe box than previous model, and is less roomy mid-foot.

Thx! I'm wearing pre-2012 s-works and with the changes in newer s-works, looking elsewhere for a roomier toe box in a new shoe makes sense (plus I'm kinda over Boa closures.) maybe wisest thing is to see if I can try the Factors on to see if a 44 or 44.5 fits better. I'm psyched that people seem so pleased with the Factors. Switching shoes can be such a, literal, pain.;)

pdmtong
10-11-2014, 10:28 AM
44.0 in factor and 44.0 in single boa sworks the last year prior to double boa

Factors are light and I like mine. I like my Sidi wires more (better overall fit) but the factors can be found for half the price and I use them in the wet

I got my factors on closeout the price was low enough to try and I am very happy with them even if they were my only shoe.

potatochip
10-11-2014, 11:31 PM

The gen 2 straps have little guide marks to cut them to your preference. I chopped mine to the last mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hank Scorpio
10-12-2014, 05:46 AM
I just tried the Factors on yesterday but they didn't have enough mid foot volume for me. The high volume version fit much better but it is only available in black. I am also coming from the 2012 sworks.

If anyone is interested there are a couple of smaller pairs of the factors on gear trade for decent prices.

hudsonp
10-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Do you have pictures available?