PDA

View Full Version : Any Ridley X-fire owners out there? Or anyone that might know about this OEM wheel

Wayne77
10-09-2014, 07:28 PM
I have a line on a set of OEM wheels that normally come on the Ridley X-Fire 10, I think they may also come on other models, like the X-Night. I can get a set for a couple hundred. I think they'd make some decent backup wheels for my cross bike...something that I won't mind if they get thrashed about a bit.

Anyway, they are made by Ridley's house bround 4ZA. aka Forza. As far as I can tell they are called 4ZA Cirrus CD30, or Cirrus disk.

Long shot I know but does anyone have first or second hand experience with these disc wheels? Based on a few closeups I've been able to find it looks like they have Novatec hubs, which aren't too bad, 28 spokes 2x, and some kind of off brand 30mm deep semi-wide rim. Not fond of the graphics, but again...trasher wheels. I don't want to get them if they're boat anchors or if they will self destruct though - ideally less than 1800 gr or so. I found a 4ZA catalogue online but there is no mention of this disc wheelset. the regular non disc "Cirrus" wheelset that is mentioned online and in the catalogue look nothing like these.

What do you think? For a couple hundred...pass...or grab em?

They look like this: http://www.ridley-bikes.com/us/en/bikes/4/216/110/viewer/cyclocross/x-fire-10-disc-1502a

I also found a link to some other budget disc wheels: AClass CXD5 which look like another OEM wheel. They are 1700 gr, but they look less promising, even at the $175 I can get them for - 24 spokes fr and rear combined with my 185 lbs..probably not a good mix.

chuckred
10-09-2014, 08:43 PM
I have no idea about the wheels, but the 4za seat post, seat, stem and handlebars where laughably bad. (think fake carbon fiber on the few inches of bar visible on top). I love the frame but it's almost embarrassing the way the 4za stuff was. Perhaps they assume buyers will put there own stuff on so it's just throw away.

As I said though, I can't speak to the branded wheels but I'd be skeptical.

likebikes
10-09-2014, 09:02 PM
they're neither good nor bad wheels (but you knew that already)

for more than $200, pass, less than $200, go for it.

Wayne77
10-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys, this is helpful...

On a side note, if I had a $300 budget for a set of backup wheels (11sp, disc), any recommendations? Seems if you've got a $500 plus budget there are options aplenty. But it's incredibly hard to find a decent set of road disc wheels (not 29er wheels...I need to run 28's for commuting) for less than $400. I'm still glad I went disc for this new cross build but if I had gone the rim brake route there would be tons of options on the used market...not complaining...just realizing a consequence of my decision I probably should have known going in.

Brian Cdn
10-10-2014, 09:44 AM
I have the 4za 700c regular non disc rims that came on the x-fire

Pretty basic rims and rather low quality. (imho) They work ok for commuting but can't handle the cyclo cross stress.

Wayne77
10-10-2014, 01:48 PM
I have the 4za 700c regular non disc rims that came on the x-fire

Pretty basic rims and rather low quality. (imho) They work ok for commuting but can't handle the cyclo cross stress.

Thanks - good to know. I'll stay away. I've decided to order some hubs either DT 350, or the nicer Novatec hubs, maybe some Pacenti SL23, H Plus Son, or Velocity A23 rims, etc, and try to build my own wheels. Never done that before, but might as well try!

kramnnim
10-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks - good to know. I'll stay away. I've decided to order some hubs either DT 350, or the nicer Novatec hubs, maybe some Pacenti SL23, H Plus Son, or Velocity A23 rims, etc, and try to build my own wheels. Never done that before, but might as well try!

This seems like a cheap option- http://bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%20Road%20Disc%20Wheel%20Kit%2024-24.asp