PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo KICKR trainer

johnmdesigner
10-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Anyone using one? Looking for your opinion. Also do you have to constantly adjust the rear derailleur when switching between wheels and the trainer?
Thank you.

JasonF
10-09-2014, 05:59 PM
I really like it when used in conjunction with Trainerroad. Although I don't race and I'm not training for a specific event, choosing a "ride" on Trainerroad and letting the Kickr take over the resistance makes a boring training ride bearable.

dekindy
10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I purchased mine last week. Would highly recommend it. Installation went like clockwork. No derailleur adjustment needed for installation but have not switched back to road wheel yet. Have not heard of it being an issue. You will probably be using Erg mode so not much shifting.

Used KK Road Machine with Trainerroad previously and changing TR to the Kickr was easy also. Did 20-minute test ride Tuesday and established FTP and my first training plan workout this evening.

I have read everything that I could find on the Kickr and DCRainmaker's analysis many times so I was prepared. Had to use my buddy's Apple to set it up but really did not need it as the software version was current. Will need an Apple in the future to install updates unless they finally release a Windows version. I had no plans to use their software anyway as Trainerroad is my choice.

Looking forward to installing Perfpro and utilize the virtual reality capability. Perfpro is a studio version so may get together with my buddy and ride a course together.

JasonF
10-09-2014, 07:09 PM
do you have to constantly adjust the rear derailleur when switching between wheels and the trainer?
Thank you.

I keep the trainer in Erg mode so no shifting is needed and not much derailleur adjusting is necessary switching between the trainer and the road wheel. I run Campy and in hindsight I probably could've gotten away with using the Shimano freehub that comes with the Kickr rather than shelling out extra $$$ for the Campy version.

Md3000
10-09-2014, 07:18 PM
If anyone interested I still have this wahoo thing:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=155509&highlight=Wahoo

RobJ
10-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Anyone using one? Looking for your opinion. Also do you have to constantly adjust the rear derailleur when switching between wheels and the trainer?
Thank you.

The Kickr is awesome. As others have said spend the $10 month on Trainerroad.com and also look into thesufferfest.com. Their videos sync with TR and control the Kickr in ERG mode. I used this combo all winter and on late nights and rainy days. There's no need to adjust the derailleur. The few workouts where I have used them, it just works.

johnmdesigner
10-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it.

johnmdesigner
10-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Has anyone tried this with an Android device or are you all using Apple?

RobJ
10-09-2014, 08:28 PM

I believe the Kickr setup only works with an Apple device (iPhone or iPad). After the few minute setup it's no longer needed, unless you are using it to track your workouts.

ceolwulf
10-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I want one just for Zwift.

deechee
10-10-2014, 08:29 AM

The Play Store's reviews are mostly negative... EESH. You would think they would support droid by now.

Charles M
10-10-2014, 08:38 AM
My experience...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/tech-n-spec/wahoo-fitness-kickr-trainer/

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/13-wahoo-kickr-10.jpg

metalheart
10-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Have one and used it for a few months. Wife uses her Iphone with it and I use a Galaxy S3 (Android). We use it in erg mode (machine adjusts watts so you don;t have to change gears) so there are no issues with cassettes (she is 10 speed and I am 11). We have yet to use any other software (Kinomap, Trainer Raod, etc...), but one of the reasons we bought the Kickr is to mitigate the trainer boredom. In the next couple of months we hope to choose some other software with ride videos, but have yet to identify what to use.

oldguy00
10-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Best training investment I've ever made. Had mine a year now, love it. I use it in erg mode with Trainer Road.

znfdl
10-10-2014, 09:50 AM
This will be my chanukah present to myself :)

johnmdesigner
10-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Have one and used it for a few months. Wife uses her Iphone with it and I use a Galaxy S3 (Android). We use it in erg mode (machine adjusts watts so you don;t have to change gears) so there are no issues with cassettes (she is 10 speed and I am 11). We have yet to use any other software (Kinomap, Trainer Raod, etc...), but one of the reasons we bought the Kickr is to mitigate the trainer boredom. In the next couple of months we hope to choose some other software with ride videos, but have yet to identify what to use.

Were you able to do the initial setup with an Android device or did you use Apple? Just asking as we are an Apple free house.

dekindy
10-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Were you able to do the initial setup with an Android device or did you use Apple? Just asking as we are an Apple free house.

Currently the initial setup is by an Apple device only. Really all you are doing is verifying that the Kickr has the current software version loaded. Until a Windows version is developed future upgrade installation requires Apple also. The Wahoo application only works under Apple.

Here is a list of the applications and compatibility. Scroll down to App Compatibility and select each of the nine dots to scroll through the apps.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/kickr.html

TrainerRoad is all that I am interested in for now so no urgency to purchase an Apple as my buddy also has a Kickr and an Apple.

ceolwulf
10-10-2014, 04:48 PM
They don't mention the iPod touch anywhere but surely that would work? Used iPod touch would be a cheap way to get something compatible.

dekindy
10-11-2014, 08:08 AM
They don't mention the iPod touch anywhere but surely that would work? Used iPod touch would be a cheap way to get something compatible.

I don't know much about Apple but it appears they are stressing recent models to have the correct OS and hardware. If it is not listed I would assume it is not compatible. Check with the developers that you are considering.

makoti
10-11-2014, 10:49 AM

You can do the spindown needed with android. You only need apple to update the software. So, if it came with the latest version of software (and if you got it from them, it should), you're golden. Use the android app to spindown & go.

Note:That's what I say because that's what I was told when I called to ask about this, but...I got mine about two months ago & haven't done anything except the spindown yet. But it's raining pretty good today, so I'm finally going to give it a real try.

dekindy
10-14-2014, 07:40 PM
One very minor issue. I am using Ant+ and TrainerRoad. Read about it last week before I experienced it.

On 2 of the 4 rides I have done, durations of 60-90 minutes, for about a second their is an unidentified issue that causes the resistance to to spike. Glad I read about it before I experienced it or I would have thought there was a major problem. 2 rides experienced nothing, one ride experienced it one time, and the longest ride it happened twice. Only noticed because I was doing hard efforts and it only lasts for a second. Apparently this is well known on forums and Wahoo has been working on it for quite awhile; but since I have the latest software it has not been fixed.

Not sure if it happens using Bluetooth as nobody seems to get into that kind of detail on the forums.

Very minor issue but it is there so if you know you don't worry about it.

morrisericd
10-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Just placed my order. Talked to a sales rep there first and he was sure that their 11 speed cassette would work fine with my Campy 11 speed. Planning on streaming from my iPhone or iPad to my AppleTV and using Kinomap to start. I'll report back once it's up and running.

oldguy00
10-15-2014, 08:26 AM
One very minor issue. I am using Ant+ and TrainerRoad. Read about it last week before I experienced it.

On 2 of the 4 rides I have done, durations of 60-90 minutes, for about a second their is an unidentified issue that causes the resistance to to spike. Glad I read about it before I experienced it or I would have thought there was a major problem. 2 rides experienced nothing, one ride experienced it one time, and the longest ride it happened twice. Only noticed because I was doing hard efforts and it only lasts for a second. Apparently this is well known on forums and Wahoo has been working on it for quite awhile; but since I have the latest software it has not been fixed.

Not sure if it happens using Bluetooth as nobody seems to get into that kind of detail on the forums.

Very minor issue but it is there so if you know you don't worry about it.

I've had that as well, the odd power spike. I talked to their cust service folks, and they sent me a new sensor to try, and said they'd replace the whole trainer if it didn't work. Knock on wood, I've done 3 workouts since installing it late last week, and no power spikes yet. Great customer service so far.

For the record, Racermate (Computrainer) has great cust service as well, and make a great product, I've owned them in the past. But I do prefer the Kickr.
Cheers

dekindy
10-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Just placed my order. Talked to a sales rep there first and he was sure that their 11 speed cassette would work fine with my Campy 11 speed. Planning on streaming from my iPhone or iPad to my AppleTV and using Kinomap to start. I'll report back once it's up and running.

Please let us know how you like Kinomap. I am considering purchasing an Apple to use this app.

dekindy
10-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Was reviewing TrainerRoad recommendations for preventing Ant+ signal dropouts. Besides the obvious of proximity, line of sight, and minimizing other wireless devices, they recommend setting your computer power settings to high performance so that the maximum amount of power will go to the USB ports.

oldguy00
10-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Was reviewing TrainerRoad recommendations for preventing Ant+ signal dropouts. Besides the obvious of proximity, line of sight, and minimizing other wireless devices, they recommend setting your computer power settings to high performance so that the maximum amount of power will go to the USB ports.

Mine always was, plugged in and max performance, new Alienware laptop. Didn't resolve the issue. But the new sensor from Wahoo, knock on wood, seems to be working perfect so far.

makoti
10-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Finally got mine up & running (my issues, not the trainers). Admittedly, I've only done two workouts, but I like it better than the Kurt Kinetic (and I liked that). Does a nice job keeping the efforts steady.
Now... has anyone actually created a workout file from one of their rides? Is that hard? Is it worth it? I'm thinking I'd like to grab some from a friend who rides in a much hillier area & use those over the winter. Worth the trouble?
I'm using PerfPro to sync to the Kickr.

dekindy
10-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Mine always was, plugged in and max performance, new Alienware laptop. Didn't resolve the issue. But the new sensor from Wahoo, knock on wood, seems to be working perfect so far.

How long have you had the new sensor? Did they mention anything about removing the cover and dusting the sensor?

mtb_frk
10-15-2014, 09:30 PM
I need to stop looking at this thread, the more I do the more I want one.

stephenmarklay
10-15-2014, 09:31 PM
I will be following this topic. I decided to hold off on the kickr but I did start up trainer road.

I have not had power so I figure their virtual power with my existing kurt kinetic and emotion rollers will work for now. I won't get the electronic control.

Man the trainload software is slick. Since I already have most of the real rides and sufferfest vids I have my work cut out.

stephenmarklay
10-15-2014, 09:39 PM
I will be following this topic. I decided to hold off on the kickr but I did start up trainer road.

I have not had power so I figure their virtual power with my existing kurt kinetic and emotion rollers will work for now. I won't get the electronic control.

Man the trainload software is slick. Since I already have most of the real rides and sufferfest vids I have my work cut out.

dekindy
10-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Setup I had last year except I have Sportcrafters rollers. I will report on my results this Winter but am really liking the Kickr. Not going to sell my fluid trainer and rollers just yet; I believe Charles M got ride of all his trainers(3?).

mtb_frk
10-15-2014, 10:04 PM
The ERG mode sounds pretty cool. I created a bunch of workouts in trainer road last year it would be nice not to have to shift and try to hit the power zones. Of course doing the tour of sufferlandria on it wouldn't be a lot of fun, no cheating.

dekindy
11-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Any feedback?

morrisericd
11-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Up and running...

I've been lucky that the weather in Vermont has been warm enough to ride outside the last couple of weeks. Even luckier - I'm in California right now. I rode the Monterey 17 mile road today. One of the nicest rides I've ever done!

I do have 5 or 6 workouts on the Wahoo and have really liked it. I downloaded a bunch of Sufferfest videos including Blender and It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time and you're right - there's no cheating. Both of those were really tough. Glad I did them but it's a commitment. I joined Trainer Road and did a couple of their workouts including a FTP test (also tough) and have also just set the resistance using my iPhone and rode while watching TV. Next up is Kinomap which I downloaded but haven't had a chance to use. It looks pretty good. I have a Kurt Kinetic and my wife has a Cyclops which I've also ridden a bunch (I've ridden the Kurt a lot over the last 8 or so years I've owned it). I think that the Wahoo has a better "feel" to it - more realistic than the other two. I never really liked the progressive feel of the Cyclops. I really liked the Kurt and will most likely end up keeping it for now. So - better "feel" and a lot more options with their open software. If you are looking for a new trainer I highly recommend the Wahoo.

dekindy
11-24-2014, 02:11 AM
I am considering purchasing an Apple so that I can do Kinomap so give us a report when you can. Have done 18 workouts in TrainerRoad Intermediate Build. Used the 20-minute test because that is what I used in a Computrainer class so was already used to it.

Up and running...

I've been lucky that the weather in Vermont has been warm enough to ride outside the last couple of weeks. Even luckier - I'm in California right now. I rode the Monterey 17 mile road today. One of the nicest rides I've ever done!

I do have 5 or 6 workouts on the Wahoo and have really liked it. I downloaded a bunch of Sufferfest videos including Blender and It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time and you're right - there's no cheating. Both of those were really tough. Glad I did them but it's a commitment. I joined Trainer Road and did a couple of their workouts including a FTP test (also tough) and have also just set the resistance using my iPhone and rode while watching TV. Next up is Kinomap which I downloaded but haven't had a chance to use. It looks pretty good. I have a Kurt Kinetic and my wife has a Cyclops which I've also ridden a bunch (I've ridden the Kurt a lot over the last 8 or so years I've owned it). I think that the Wahoo has a better "feel" to it - more realistic than the other two. I never really liked the progressive feel of the Cyclops. I really liked the Kurt and will most likely end up keeping it for now. So - better "feel" and a lot more options with their open software. If you are looking for a new trainer I highly recommend the Wahoo.

unterhausen
11-25-2014, 04:21 PM
did the spindown test on my new kickr last night, but I had forgotten my derailleurs on my trainer bike weren't hooked up due to canning them for my road bike. Just using the Wahoo fitness app on my phone so far, haven't decided what other software I might want to use

It looks like Golden Cheetah works with the Kickr in a limited fashion, anyone try it?