PDA

View Full Version : new method of brake pad adjustment

oliver1850
10-09-2014, 12:23 PM
saves on rim wear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-27-Speed-700cm-Custom-JALCO-Rims-Re-Furbished-Mens-Bike-Must-See-/121455268248?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160

Dead Man
10-09-2014, 12:27 PM
What.... buying a whole bike for the price of a set of cheap wheels?

Dead Man
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
Almost looks like it's been ridden like that, even..

Are those 650s?

nublar
10-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Also cleans your sidewalls

regularguy412
10-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Wowie! Kinda reminds me of the clincher mounted inside-out and then wondered why it wore out so quickly.

I bet it will put you over the bars in short order, too!

Mike in AR:beer:

ultraman6970
10-09-2014, 04:20 PM
What is what I'm looking for in the picture?

Dead Man
10-09-2014, 04:21 PM
What is what I'm looking for in the picture?

Look at the brakes

David Kirk
10-09-2014, 04:42 PM
I worked in retail shops for a lifetime before going to the dark side (light side?.......less dark side?......dusk side! Yeah that's it! Dusk side) and you would not believe the stuff that comes in.

I recall a guy calling saying that the bike we sold him was defective because the brake pads wouldn't adjust to where they needed to be. Well it was a brand new bike and worked as it should when it left. We told the guy to bring it in and he was doing his best to get the pads to run on the sidewall of the tire........he told me "that's what the tan part of the tire is for!" with that 'you moron' tone. I told him as gently as I could that the pads are meant to run on the rim and not the tire and he demanded him money back for the bike and told the boss that i was trying to pull a fast on on him. I'd guess the guy had a bike as a kid with the wrong size wheel in it (like the ebay bike) and thought that was how it was supposed to be.

My favorite was a guy brought his cheap dept store bike in for a tune up that was going to cost more than the bike did new and complained that the "crank didn't spin so good". It had a one-piece crank and an American BB and when I took it apart I found that most of the BB that was supposed to be in there was there but there was also a headset stuffed in there too. I installed a new Wald BB and kept those junk parts under my bench for years. That was great.

dave

fuzzalow
10-09-2014, 04:55 PM
My favorite was a guy brought his cheap dept store bike in for a tune up that was going to cost more than the bike did new and complained that the "crank didn't spin so good".

Sorry but I had to chuckle over that diction even though the customer may well have had no involvement in creating the mechanical snafu.

Tommy Williams: I don't read so good.

Andy Dufresne: Well.

[pause]

Andy Dufresne: You don't read so *well*. Uh, we'll get to that.

David Kirk
10-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Sorry but I had to chuckle over that diction even though the customer may well have had no involvement in creating the mechanical snafu.

A great line from a great movie.

dave

8aaron8
10-09-2014, 05:00 PM
They're set up that way so that when you just can't handle the speed any more you give yourself a flat and call it a day;)

vqdriver
10-09-2014, 05:06 PM
i'll post a comment after my pupils constrict

ultraman6970
10-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Oh just noticed :) Poor guy :)

Cicli
10-09-2014, 05:58 PM
That is huge too. 700cm?

bluemax
10-10-2014, 01:07 AM
I worked in retail shops for a lifetime before going to the dark side (light side?.......less dark side?......dusk side! Yeah that's it! Dusk side) and you would not believe the stuff that comes in.

I recall a guy calling saying that the bike we sold him was defective because the brake pads wouldn't adjust to where they needed to be. Well it was a brand new bike and worked as it should when it left. We told the guy to bring it in and he was doing his best to get the pads to run on the sidewall of the tire........he told me "that's what the tan part of the tire is for!" with that 'you moron' tone. I told him as gently as I could that the pads are meant to run on the rim and not the tire and he demanded him money back for the bike and told the boss that i was trying to pull a fast on on him. I'd guess the guy had a bike as a kid with the wrong size wheel in it (like the ebay bike) and thought that was how it was supposed to be.

My favorite was a guy brought his cheap dept store bike in for a tune up that was going to cost more than the bike did new and complained that the "crank didn't spin so good". It had a one-piece crank and an American BB and when I took it apart I found that most of the BB that was supposed to be in there was there but there was also a headset stuffed in there too. I installed a new Wald BB and kept those junk parts under my bench for years. That was great.

dave

Ha! Thanks for that image of HS cups and hex nuts swimming around in someone's BB shell.

Wald - "When the best simply will not do"

Somewhere here I have a bottom bracket that I took out of a friend's hybrid. I meant to post pics when I took it out but now I don't know what I did with it. The drive side bearing was completely gone and the spindle had been running on the hole in the cup for some time when he decided something "might be wrong". Even worse was that the cup had been put in significantly off from parallel to the axle - I mean worse than you can imagine that it would be possible to get it even close to seated on the shell, but someone did get it seated (on one side). When I went to take it apart I told him "this frame is toast" but amazingly there were enough threads left to hold a new BB cup in, and he's still riding it two years later.

marciero
10-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Reminds me of a recent post here about a row of new bikes in a big box store, all with forks installed backwards.