PDA

View Full Version : Helmet fit?

teleguy57
10-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Riding in a Giro Atmos that's due for replacement. I'd like something that sits a little lower on my head; feels at times like the Atmos is perched on top vs my head fitting inside it. Anyone have comparisons to other helmets for fit? I'm intrigued by the Lazer Genesis but no on locally carries them.

Thanks.

lhuerta
10-08-2014, 11:42 AM
Try the Giro Pneumo (recently re-issued by Giro) or Rudy Project Windmax....I am a fan of very low profile, non-bulbous helmets and these are IME two of the lowest profile helmets available. Windmax is bit lighter then the Pneumo but when the fit is right weight doesn't seem to matter much.lou

teleguy57
10-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks, Lou. I'll see if I can check those out.

For me it's more about the fit (think pinhead and a helmet sitting too high on the head of that pin:)) than profile, though I too prefer the looks of a lower profile helmet.

commonguy001
10-08-2014, 07:15 PM
I find the Aeon to do what you're looking for. The Atmos rides higher than I like but the Aeon is probably my favorite helmet ever.
Saying that try before you buy:banana:

Tony T
10-08-2014, 09:23 PM
…the aeon is probably my favorite helmet ever.

+1

nmrt
10-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Low profile helmets:
Lazer Genesis
Lazer Helium
Lazer Z1
Giro Aeon
Rudy Windmax
Rudy Sterling
Kask Mojito

There must be some that I am missing.

blood.meridian
10-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Another vote for the Aeon. My fave.

stien
10-09-2014, 07:03 AM
I'm in the same boat with a very worn out atmos. I'm waiting for the synthe next month.

bjf
10-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Yet another vote for the Aeon.

veloduffer
10-30-2014, 09:18 PM
I have an Atmos and Aeon, and have had a Pneumo. The Pneumo sits a bit lower. But I just got a Kask Mojito and it is low as the Pneumo, if not more.

ultraman6970
10-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Get a haircut :D

Try Kask.

Don49
10-30-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm on my second Pneumo but they seem to be discontinued. Is it true that Giro is bringing them back? Anyone seen one?

jimoots
10-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Low profile helmets:
Lazer Genesis
Lazer Helium
Lazer Z1
Giro Aeon
Rudy Windmax
Rudy Sterling
Kask Mojito

There must be some that I am missing.

Previously I had a Giro Saros (low end, I think it cost US$120 from Wiggle) in Large (59-63cm). Always felt like a bit of a mushroom head.

Then I bought a Lazer Z1 in Large (59-63cm) and didn't care for it much. It felt ok in the shop, but it turned out to be an even weirder fit than the Giro. Which kinda bummed me out, as it was like an A$300 helmet.

I ended up switching to a Lazer O2, which is one of their bottom rung helmets. I really like it.

But thing is, I'm a weird use case. I have a long, oval shaped head and it's about 59-60cm. So I'm right in between sizes, and almost always the medium size is too small.

The Lazer O2 is an one-size-fits-all job between 51-61cm, so it's essentially the smallest helmet I could fit on my noggin. The profile is about the same as the Z1, but the way it sits on my head (i.e. lower) makes it look like it is much lower profile.

I'm really happy with it, and am tempted to buy another one to keep as a spare.

lhuerta
10-30-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm on my second Pneumo but they seem to be discontinued. Is it true that Giro is bringing them back? Anyone seen one?

....been back for over a year. Inner shell is slightly redesigned to accommodate latest RocLoc 5 retention, but rest of helmet appears identical.

Bruce K
10-31-2014, 03:12 AM
My Lazer Helium will get retired at the end of cx season

The Z1 is sized a bit differently so that is not an option (I REALLY wish it was)

New Helium for sure - just waiting on new colors

Most comfortable helmet I have ever owned

BK

macaroon
10-31-2014, 05:33 AM
I'm a big fan of the Lzer O2 helmet, I'm on my third now. Fit is great, the retention system is brilliant and it wraps round your head giving a very even fit. It's pretty low profile aswell.

Don49
10-31-2014, 11:08 AM

....been back for over a year. Inner shell is slightly redesigned to accommodate latest RocLoc 5 retention, but rest of helmet appears identical.

Pneumo isn't on the Giro website, made me wonder why.