PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate recovery drink?

BdaGhisallo
03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Carnation Instant Breakfast!

Someone mentioned it over on the Endurance forum on mtbr.com. Mix a package with 8oz of skim milk and it tastes great. Has 220 kcals with 27g of carbs and 5g of protein. It's easy to mix and, best of all, it's cheap and very easy to find.

Did I mention that it tastes great!

Anyone else try it?

PanTerra
03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I suppose you could add some protein to get that up to a level that would actually help in the recovery of your muscles. After all we are talking about the "Ultimate" recovery drink.

Eric E
03-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Avoids dairy problems (lactose intolerance, dairy allergies, mucus generation). IMHO, Chocolate Silk tastes great and really hits the spot after a long ride...

Eric (impatently awaiting for both the snow to melt and my new Mike Garcia wheels to arrive)

BdaGhisallo
03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
True dat! Soy milk it is. I have never tried it but I will now on your recommendation!

b3bicycles
03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I remember something that Levi L. said, he had tired all the "ultimate" drinks on the market and went back to the one he liked the taste of because he would drink it. Find the one that you like the taste of and drink it!

waterystu
03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm not a huge fan of most soy milk products, but Silk is superb. The chocolate is awsome. When I come home after a real hard ride I chug down 2 cups of Vanilla
Silk mixed with about 5 Tbs of brown sugar. Sure, it's a little sweet but it works. After about 10mins you can actually walk a straight line. Straight to the couch that is.

Argos
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
http://binrock.net/permanent/2004/0905_guiness/guiness.jpg

Too Tall
03-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Man I must be bored....m'kay you are right. If you work the numbers for this stuff prepared with milk the numbers are fine. For instance one serving mixed with 1 cup fat free milk is 220 calories, 12g Protein and 40 grams of carbs. and yummy artificial flavors :)

A "recovery" drink I use is 166 calories for 1 serving, 10 grams of protein and 32g carbs....and 3000 mg Glutamine...mmm Glutamine :)

Either way it works, one is optimal the other not bad at all but you must mix with milk to get it that way and spoilage is more a possibility if this is your race recovery bottle that's stored in the car yada yada.

It's all good.

How about 4 cups of skim milk and a big slim jim. Anybody anyone anybody?

Fixed
03-13-2006, 09:18 PM
bro just add some whey and your good to go i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

dsimon
03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
:cool: I'm 100% behind b3bicycles, i tried the 1st endurance stuff the optygen drink its nasty back to cytomx for me as far as the recovery hmmm hmmm mm taste like strawberry milk and the irony is its fruit punch flavor.

PanTerra
03-13-2006, 11:41 PM

Yeppers, that is what I have to do. And protein is cheap. One scoop adds 20 grams and you are good to go.

Samster
03-13-2006, 11:45 PM

got that fixed. i will try it right now.

The Spider
03-14-2006, 02:41 AM
the 'experts' are now recommending a 3 to 1 carb/protein drink with minimal fat (slows digestion/absorbtion).

companies are now running to market overpriced drinks to fit the criteria.

low fat chocolate milk fits the criteria perfectly! and the looks you get at the gym when you drink it are priceless.

Dr. Doofus
03-14-2006, 03:34 AM
do it masai style

fresh cows blood and milk

maybe with some honey

William
03-14-2006, 05:16 AM

:banana: Vitamin G. :banana:

William ;)

scrooge
03-14-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't use the instant breakfast as a "recovery" drink, but I do use "Ensure" on my really long rides--if you get the kind with extra calories you get a quick 330 calories in one eight ounce drink that doesn't taste that bad.

Samster
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
turd

Argos
03-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Tough under real duress?

Samster
03-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Tough under real duress?

kidding or serious?

Argos
03-14-2006, 09:47 AM
kidding.

pjm
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
the 'experts' are now recommending a 3 to 1 carb/protein drink with minimal fat (slows digestion/absorbtion).

companies are now running to market overpriced drinks to fit the criteria.

low fat chocolate milk fits the criteria perfectly! and the looks you get at the gym when you drink it are priceless.

Ron Burgundy: "Milk was a bad choice!" :D
http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Anchorman_The_Legend_Of_Ron_Burgundy =milkwasa.wav

Too Tall
03-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Take your recovery drink? TURD.

Scrooge, cool beans man! I use to buy the High Glycemic version Ensure for 400k+ ultras...that was a Don Mclean time ago.

PanTerra
03-14-2006, 10:52 AM
What do y'all think of these specs for a recovery drink?

Too Tall
03-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Not so hot. I'd rather not have creatine and siberian ginseng in my recovery drink.

Russell
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
that and a shot of bong water and i'm good to go

PanTerra
03-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Not so hot. I'd rather not have creatine and siberian ginseng in my recovery drink.

I didn't see the ginseng, is it called something else? What i don't like is the cost. I like the low sugar slimfast. I can get that for $0.06/oz where this highly touted elixer is $0.32/oz.

Argos
03-14-2006, 12:49 PM
I think TT was saying he's rather it had Ginseng.

Turns out though, it does. It has Siberian Ginseng. On the label it is called Eleuthrero Root. Probably not alot to do a whole lot, but it is in there.

Unlike Traditional Panax Ginseng, or even American Ginseng, which provide ginsenosides (go figure) the Siberian ginseng yeilds eleutherosides, that, in the body have a similar balancing and adaptogenic properties.....

Blah, blah, blah.... It's in there.

PanTerra
03-14-2006, 12:54 PM
I think TT was saying he's rather it had Ginseng.

Turns out though, it does. It has Siberian Ginseng. On the label it is called Eleuthrero Root. Probably not alot to do a whole lot, but it is in there.

Unlike Traditional Panax Ginseng, or even American Ginseng, which provide ginsenosides (go figure) the Siberian ginseng yeilds eleutherosides, that, in the body have a similar balancing and adaptogenic properties.....

Blah, blah, blah.... It's in there.

YOu beat me to it. I did a google search and found the Eleuthrero connection.
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3x_Siberian_Ginseng.asp

Argos
03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Seriously though, I doubt it is enough to do more then make it onto the label, if you know what I mean.

PanTerra
03-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Seriously though, I doubt it is enough to do more then make it onto the label, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, it's on there so we get to charge a lot for it.

Argos
03-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Bill Phillips Needs a big house and a Lamborghini. :D

Too Tall
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
None the less I realllllllly don't want anything that acts like or as a cortical steroid in my body. I'm falling apart fast enough thank you!

OldDog
03-14-2006, 02:09 PM

BRILLIANT!

Kevan
03-14-2006, 03:38 PM
At a world brewing convention in the States, the CEOs of various
brewing organizations retired to the bar at the end of each day's conference.

Bruce, CEO of Fosters, shouted to the Barman: "In 'Strylya, we make
the best bloody beer in the world, so pour me a bloody Fosters, mate."

Bob, CEO of Budweiser, calls out next: "In the States, we brew the finest
beers of the world, and I make the king of them all, gimme a Bud."

Hans steps up next: "In Germany ve invented das beer, ferdamt. Give
me ein Becks, ya ist der real King of beers, danke."

Paddy, CEO of Guinness, steps forward: "Barman, would ya give me a diet
coke with ice and lemon? Tanks."

The others stare at him in stunned silence, amazement written all
over their faces.

Eventually Bruce asks: "Are you not going to have a Guinness , Pat?"

Paddy replies "Well, if you fookin' pansies aren't drinkin', then
neither am I

Frankwurst
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
that and a shot of bong water and i'm good to go
Trick Question. Before or after the bong? :beer:

The Spider
03-15-2006, 01:13 AM
[

Bruce, CEO of Fosters, shouted to the Barman: "In 'Strylya, we make
the best bloody beer in the world, so pour me a bloody Fosters, mate."

Bruce may be the CEO of Foster's but if he's drinking it, I'll guarantee he's not an Aussie. If it was any good...we wouldn't be sending it over!

William
03-15-2006, 05:09 AM
[

Bruce may be the CEO of Foster's but if he's drinking it, I'll guarantee he's not an Aussie. If it was any good...we wouldn't be sending it over!

:confused: :confused:

But.....but....but Paul Hogan said it was "Austrailian for Beeer". :confused:

William ;)

The Spider
03-16-2006, 01:22 AM
unfortunetly....

Paul lied.

It IS Australian for Cat P!ss however.

Now pop on down and we'll show you some good stuff that we leave in the country.

William
03-16-2006, 05:03 AM
unfortunetly....

Paul lied.

It IS Australian for Cat P!ss however.

Now pop on down and we'll show you some good stuff that we leave in the country.

I'm crushed!! :(

Next you're going to be telling me Crocodile Dundee wasn't a documentary!!!!

William ;)

Serotta PETE
03-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Best recovery drink is a bottle of red wine with Flydhest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(after I have drafted off his wheel naturally)

PETE