PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Replacement Rim

buldogge
10-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Hey Guys...So...Today on the way to work I destroyed my rear rim. It is a Wolber Profil A tub and pulled 3x spokes so far...

Any suggestions for a semi-aero 28H tubular rim in dark-ano to maybe somewhat "match" the Wolber...so I can rebuild it this winter.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Gummee
10-06-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna bet if you look up the ERD (I didn't) you'll probably find it isn't far off the Escapes, Major Toms, Mach2CD2s, et al.

HTH

M

ultraman6970
10-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultra doesnt know a single one exactly like the wolber's, maybe hmmm araya ones?? Cant remember the model but are really close. Campagnolo had a set like the wolber as well.

I had the cash and I was you I would try to nail a set of kinlin tb25, excellent rims, but the nice about the wolber is that is not machined, the kinlin is machined.

Hope this helps.

ultraman6970
10-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Araya Aero 4 (ADX-4)

Campagnolo omega

pavel
10-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I have an araya and a fir in the shape you describe, but one is 24h and the other is 32. If either would work let me know.

buldogge
10-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Hey Guys…Looks like the ERD is 602 (590 + 12mm, internal nipples).

Looks like a Sun M19A II or maybe a Mavic Mach 2 CD would work.

Now to find one that won't break the bank…

-Mark

oldpotatoe
10-07-2014, 06:14 AM
Hey Guys...So...Today on the way to work I destroyed my rear rim. It is a Wolber Profil A tub and pulled 3x spokes so far...

Any suggestions for a semi-aero 28H tubular rim in dark-ano to maybe somewhat "match" the Wolber...so I can rebuild it this winter.

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

Velocity ProElite? Too aero? Unless no mas..don't see them on their website.

oldpotatoe
10-07-2014, 06:17 AM

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

I can get ya a Mavic Mach2CD in 28h, NOS..PM a coming

ultraman6970
10-07-2014, 06:34 AM
This comment is just what I think ok? Probably you dont give damm but either way hehehe...

Mark, there is a big difference in the design of modern low count spokes rims and the old ones from back mid 80's and 90's era. What happens is that modern rims can take way more tension than the old ones specially if the rider is not that light either. I'm not taking in consideration the abilities of the builder here, because I dont think it will make a difference building high tension wheels with old rims, because the rims are more susceptible to snap in the eyelets than modern rims, just as it happened to you.

That's why I suggested kinlin rims. Those can take insane tensions and from the wheels i've built those can be abused big time compared with mid 80's - 90's era rims, you can rely more in those more than old rims, specially going to low count spokes wheels.

buldogge
10-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Hey T…I was hoping to not rebuild the front wheel for now…the TBs are only available in black AFAIK…I was hoping to retain some level of "matchyness".

Having said that…it would probably be best to rebuild both…but…the TB25's ERD is much smaller, at 590.

-Mark

This comment is just what I think ok? Probably you dont give damm but either way hehehe...

Mark, there is a big difference in the design of modern low count spokes rims and the old ones from back mid 80's and 90's era. What happens is that modern rims can take way more tension than the old ones specially if the rider is not that light either. I'm not taking in consideration the abilities of the builder here, because I dont think it will make a difference building high tension wheels with old rims, because the rims are more susceptible to snap in the eyelets than modern rims, just as it happened to you.

That's why I suggested kinlin rims. Those can take insane tensions and from the wheels i've built those can be abused big time compared with mid 80's - 90's era rims, you can rely more in those more than old rims, specially going to low count spokes wheels.

tmf
10-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Araya Aero 4 (ADX-4)

Campagnolo omega

If you can find one, I think the Campy Omega Strada in the aero cross section might be a good choice (there was also a box section version).

ultraman6970
10-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Veloclasique has some aero old stuff, not sure about the drilling tho. Always good to call there and ask.