PDA

View Full Version : Going from cycling to running

Chris
10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
I know this has been discussed to a degree. I'm at a point with family/career stuff that the easiest thing to do might be to give up on the stress of fitting in the traditional approach to training for cycling (especially this winter) and do something that takes less time. It seems that I could get in a pretty good workout by running for an hour. I'm 44 and I've never run competitively. The thought has crossed my mind to try something different for a year while still riding for fun with the occasional race thrown in. Any competitive runners here? Have you mixed both or ran for awhile? If you did then came back to cycling, did you feel like you lost much?

Cat3roadracer
10-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Chris, I'm the same age and am in the same situation. I would prefer to cycle, but most days of the week (like five), it's not going to happen. I have been running for several years and have always enjoyed it. I currently run 30/week with an occasional 5 or 10 k race mixed in. I feel that my cardio fitness is reasonable, but nothing nothing compares hammering with the fast kids.

In my opinion as long as to are doing something on a regular basis, you are ahead of most of the country.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dave

holliscx
10-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Ran track and cross country in hs. Post college nagging injuries started piling up so I switched to cycling like many people I know. Ran intermittently until past 6 years or so in which I've only cycled. Returned to running a month ago and love it again. Running is great cross-training for cycling. I've never had much interest in running a marathon but I'm considering training for one, for long runs in particular are calling my name I don't know why. This wasn't planned but I welcome it and I'm currently enjoying both. My advice would be to do which ever you feel like doing. If you drop a few pounds running you may find it helps your cycling and vice versa. Good luck.

feFIFO
10-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Done both for a long time. Transitioning from running to cycling is relatively easy and quick; primarily it's about rebuilding bike-specific strength and muscular endurance. Going the other way - from cycling to running - is slightly dicier. The temptation is to run to your aerobic ability. Which leads quickly to all the overuse injuries that plague runners - shin splints, plantar fasciitis, ITB, etc. Take your time building up mileage.

KidWok
10-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Start SLOW...just because you have decent fitness does not mean your joints are up for the impact of running. I went back to running for awhile late last year succumbing to the peer pressure of the triathlon team I help train, but injured myself quickly because my legs and heart were ready for it, but my joints weren't.

Tai

pakora
10-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Done both for a long time. Transitioning from running to cycling is relatively easy and quick; primarily it's about rebuilding bike-specific strength and muscular endurance. Going the other way - from cycling to running - is slightly dicier. The temptation is to run to your aerobic ability. Which leads quickly to all the overuse injuries that plague runners - shin splints, plantar fasciitis, ITB, etc. Take your time building up mileage.

And from a noob perspective (I took up running last winter, in part because the unusual amount of snow and ice on the roads here last winter made it difficult or impossible to really ride), I hit this one head on. I managed to acquire every single overuse injury at a minor level just because my cardio was way better than my running-specific muscles and strength were. It's taken 9 months to get to where my ankles and hips don't bum out if I run >1 day in a row, and when I push to my fitness max or beyond it (> 8 miles), my body lets me know that adding 10% to my usual max one day isn't the same as adding 10 miles to a 75 mile ride.

I feel like running doesn't add to my riding and vice versa at all, except for the hard cardio. Certainly not the running in 'cross :D But maintaining hard cardio endurance is obviously huge. But it hasn't magically won me KOMs.

zap
10-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I was a runner then got into triathlons but swam like a rock and really enjoyed cycling so stuck with cycling.

Quite a few years passed and one winter I started running. Oh boy….as posted above, going back to running is humbling. Cardio wise you can go at a good clip but man, some of the muscles and the joints. :help:

I plan on starting again this winter. My plan this time for the first month or so, walking, running up hills, walking down hills and jogging on the flats. Time with the foam roller too.

jmoore
10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
running sucks. hth. ymmv. etc.

feFIFO
10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
running sucks. hth. ymmv. etc.

That's kind of the whole point.

RedRider
10-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Due to impact injuries you probably have more runners becoming cyclists. I see this regularly. If time is an issue for you plan your workout accordingly with intervals and other high intensity drills.
Do you ever see runners smiling?

EDS
10-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Due to impact injuries you probably have more runners becoming cyclists. I see this regularly. If time is an issue for you plan your workout accordingly with intervals and other high intensity drills.

Definitely! That said, I am a former collegiate runner returning to the sport after a decade away. Less than a month now to my first marathon and let me just say I much prefer the half marathon distance. My legs can still feel the 20 mile run I did on Saturday. Definitely going to be a huge amount of suffering on my part come race day.

Since I was training for a specific event, I was able to balance cycling and running during the first few months of my training, but have gone running exclusive the past few months. Very hard to fit in time to train for both properly if like me you have a demanding job, family, young kids, etc.

Mikej
10-06-2014, 06:36 PM
running sucks. Hth. Ymmv. Etc.

x1000000

rwsaunders
10-06-2014, 06:41 PM
There are only so many pieces of running gear that you can buy and you'll miss hunting for the ultimate frames, parts, kit and bikes...don't do it. Also, I don't think that Rapha makes running gear either.:cool:

giverdada
10-06-2014, 06:52 PM
so i had a cross country running race yesterday and, as usual, got my ass handed to me. i possess no physical talent for anything at all, but i absolutely love bicycles, always have, and i love running. i am not a runner. i'm barely a rider (only been in love with bikes for two decades). but i run a hell of a lot stronger than i ride.

i would recommend what others have said in terms of taking it very slow in upping mileage. you can do anything crazy on a bike and the only thing that's gonna hurt is the contact point on your ass, maybe your neck, and that's about it. i don't think most people over the age of 9 can do anything crazy on a run and have few after effects. any time i've had an overuse injury from running (took me a while and a few tries to learn how to run sustainably), i subscribed to a genius 30-min. recovery program that totally worked. 5 minutes x 6 repeats, every other day. start off with 30 seconds of running, 4.5min. of walking, 6 times. wait a day. do it again, increasing the running and decreasing the walking by 30 seconds. in a couple weeks, you're up to running a full 30 minutes, but you've built up to it. any pain along the way, go back to the ratio previously run.

in terms of how to avoid overuse injuries, i've come up with a few points, entirely personal, that work for me: avoid running consecutive days and, if necessary, take additional rest days; run with a high cadence to avoid pounding (more efficient, just like on the bike); run with your feet under you, not out in front of you; warm up!; warm down!; focus on the point for your run - long run and slow? short run and hard? working off a hangover? etc.; foam roll the IT band and other muscles, all the time; shinsplints are from tight calves, so is plantar fasciitis; don't do anything too much too soon; patience bro.

now, i totally understand the running vs. riding thing. it's not really a debate. running is hard. riding is hard. sometimes you have to choose which one you can fit in before dropping the kids at daycare or picking them up or collapsing in your bed at 11:30pm. currently, for me, it's running. i don't need a rack on my car to run. i don't need a full day to get in an epic run the right way. i don't need to pack an extra bag to run on the weekend out of town. if you're going for time, and bang for your buck in the time area, it's running. shoes are cheap. the workout is harder faster and doesn't take as long. and you can quite certainly smile while you do it. you're probably plenty cardio strong from riding, so take it easy bringing your running legs up to speed, and you'll be golden.

and the last point is: that cross country race that i ran yesterday was a masters race. i'm not old enough (at 33) to be a true masters racer, but i'm allowed to race with them as long as i'm over thirty. there are a bunch of 45+, 55+ year-olds who cream me in these races, some running over a minute faster than i can over 4km of hills and grass and mud. i love cycling and running for this reason: you can continue to kick ass at these things long into your 'senior' years.

best of luck to you man. and - use the strava function that allows you to input your shoe and track your mileage on each pair. helps with figuring out when to replace them!

ChrisG
10-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Some good advice here.

The run/walk regimen is something that I wish I saw recommended more often. I think it is one of the best ways to take an established cycling-trained aerobic system and transition into running with less chance of injury.

Run off-road as much as possible, especially early in the process. Your joints will thank you.

It's easy enough to just go out and buy a pair of running shoes, but seeking out a reputable runner's shop and getting a pro fitting will usually be worth it, especially if you have an established history of mechanical issues and related injuries.

On a personal note, I began running as a kid in the late 70's, just tagging along with my father during the George Sheehan/Jim Fixx running boom, and it was my year-round training for soccer, the sport that dominated my life before bikes took over. I've been away from running for some years now, but I intend to get back to it over this winter.

Neil
10-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Hah! I'll smile when I got under 20 minutes at my local 5k.

Louis
10-06-2014, 07:28 PM
If time is an issue and you want a complete workout, I'd go with a rowing machine. Only real problem is that it's indoors, but not half as bad as riding indoors. One massive advantage: it won't mess up your knees.

http://cdn.rogueeurope.eu/media/catalog/product/cache/5/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/concept-2-rower-black-web-2_e_u.jpg

Ryun
10-06-2014, 07:34 PM
A lot of this has been mentioned but my input:

I switched to a heavy dose of running last off season mostly because of limited daylight. Doing some races throughout the winter kept me motivated and feeling good going into spring.
to me running helps your cycling more than cycling helps running.

Someone already mentioned one of the biggest pitfalls: your aerobic capacity will enable you to run pretty far and fast right off the bat but you have to dial it back. Some muscles are different and need to adapt. I suffered from plantar fascitis most of last season by jumping straight into 30 plus mile weeks.

Also go to a good running store and get fitted. The right shoes changed frequently will make a big difference.

And yes running does suck

Chris
10-06-2014, 08:57 PM
If time is an issue and you want a complete workout, I'd go with a rowing machine. Only real problem is that it's indoors, but not half as bad as riding indoors. One massive advantage: it won't mess up your knees.

http://cdn.rogueeurope.eu/media/catalog/product/cache/5/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/concept-2-rower-black-web-2_e_u.jpg

I love the idea, but no matter how hard I try, I am not a gym or indoor workout person. The appealing thing to me about running is its simplicity and convenience. For instance, tonight I had 45 minutes before I had to go coach soccer. No time for a reasonable ride but the thirty minute run felt like I accomplished something.

wc1934
10-06-2014, 08:57 PM
You wrote: "It seems that I could get in a pretty good workout by running for an hour".
You bet you can - in my opinion, running is more difficult than cycling.
As others have stated, start out slow and listen to your body.
Also, be prepared for some body changes (loss of upper body muscle mass).

dhalbrook
10-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Run off-road as much as possible, especially early in the process. Your joints will thank you.

Yes, a million times yes. Almost all the issues I had running when I was younger have not been issues 20 years later because 80% of my running is on trail. I'll never go back to road running again unless I have no thee choice.

jimoots
10-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Have recently got into running thanks to a new job and said job having a running team. It was the standard "you look fit, how about you come run with us"

Couldn't really say no, because new guy, but a few months on happy with the decision.

I am a virgin runner, that is, I haven't run since stopping high school sport about 12-13 years ago.

A few notes:

- I'm three months in
- Had heaps of soreness at the start around quads, hips, calves due to lack of conditioning
- Haven't had an injury yet, I attribute this to only running 2-3 times a week
- Pay attention to your technique, higher cadence = less soreness. This is more important than cycling.
- You may be aerobically fit and strong on a bike but dial it back when you start running. The first run I did I ran 3km @ 5 min k's (not fast, but fast for my first run) and couldn't walk for a week. Set out to start running an easy pace, stick to it, don't let your ego get the better of you.
- If you run with HR, you'll realise you can hold insanely high HR's running for 30-40 minutes that you wouldn't dream of holding on the bike. But again, work up to it.

Most important thing I can stress is the 10% rule. Increase your mileage 10%, each week.

I know that I went from 50km weeks to 300km weeks on the bike with no issue, but 10km weeks to 30km weeks is an entirely different story and will take time. Or you'll cop an injury and be running (and riding!) 0km weeks.

At the moment I am riding 180-250km a week and running 10-12km, keeps things interesting.

dgauthier
10-06-2014, 11:20 PM
(. . .) Time with the foam roller too.

Do you find the roller really helps you avoid injury?

aingeru
10-07-2014, 12:09 AM

You never heard about the "runner's high" ???
Please inform yourself...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runner%27s_high

oldpotatoe
10-07-2014, 06:24 AM
I know this has been discussed to a degree. I'm at a point with family/career stuff that the easiest thing to do might be to give up on the stress of fitting in the traditional approach to training for cycling (especially this winter) and do something that takes less time. It seems that I could get in a pretty good workout by running for an hour. I'm 44 and I've never run competitively. The thought has crossed my mind to try something different for a year while still riding for fun with the occasional race thrown in. Any competitive runners here? Have you mixed both or ran for awhile? If you did then came back to cycling, did you feel like you lost much?

Ran for a long time, loved it. It is so easy, shoes, shorts, tshirt-go run BUT my issue was injuries. I'd say see some sort of coach or shop that will get you the shoes that are perfect for you and your use, then a program that works.

Again, injuries. I never had blisters, black toe nails, shin splints but I did have some issues with my achilles tendons so...

If I couldn't ride for some reason(I have lots of time), I would go back to running in a heartbeat(get it??). I really loved it..I was built for comfort, not for speed. I could run for couple of hours on a Sunday no problem.

I also did a short-long 'program' and ran for time, not distance. I also tried to run on dirt if I could. Asphalt streets are OK(except some at the gutter are sloped), concrete sidewalks will beat you up.

benjamine74
10-09-2014, 04:20 AM
I stop short of calling myself a triathlete, but I am a lifelong runner. I exercise mostly in the mornings. If I wake early I ride for 1.5 to 2hrs, but if I only have 30mins or its raining (soft I know) I run.

Can't say that running helps cycling or vice versa, but I will say that running immediately off the bike has got to be good for you, if the pain and discomfort is anything to go by.

Btw altra shoes changed my life, would not use anything else.

Chris
10-09-2014, 06:35 AM
I've been running a couple weeks now. Every other day. I've been going pretty easy, using the Maffetone formula for pace which has been running almost embarrassingly slow, but I think that will probably keep me from getting injured. The only real problem I have run into so far are sore nipples...

Ryun
10-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Yep, nipple guards/tape are pretty much a requirement here.
The humidity soaks a shirt even on a short run. My first 12 miler, I had blood on my shirt. Freaked my little girls out. told them to watch out I do this for fun :)
I use them now on anything longer than 30 minutes.

dustyrider
10-09-2014, 07:57 AM
I've been running a couple weeks now. Every other day. I've been going pretty easy, using the Maffetone formula for pace which has been running almost embarrassingly slow, but I think that will probably keep me from getting injured. The only real problem I have run into so far are sore nipples...

Chaffing is the worst! Sometimes I'll be running around like a middle school boy holding my shirt out as if I had breasts....it's not a constant thing just certain shirts and sweat levels cause it to act up. I remember the first post chaffed nipples shower being extremely concerning.

Great advice already given, but I'd add it's all about the spirit. I ride bikes cause it's fun. I now run because it's fun. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!
I get the same wobbly leg feeling when climbing stairs after a long run that I get after a long ride, yet the times are vastly different. Running being the shorter. I find myself amazed by my accomplishments, and of course I've discovered an amazingly great group of folks to occasonaly share in my accomplishments. More so there accomplishments than mine, but I'm getting "faster" though I just feel more consistent. Finding folks to run with not only motivates me to run, but helps me with my pacing. Slow friends, fast friends and distance friends they're 90% of the spirit I find. This winter I'll be running more than biking, gonna turn to the climbing gym more this winter too. When spring hits, I know the bike will call to me cause I have so much fun on them!

EDS
10-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Yep, nipple guards/tape are pretty much a requirement here.
The humidity soaks a shirt even on a short run. My first 12 miler, I had blood on my shirt. Freaked my little girls out. told them to watch out I do this for fun :)
I use them now on anything longer than 30 minutes.

I ran 20 miles last weekend in on-again/off-again rain. Cried like a little school girl when I got in the shower afterwards.

stephenmarklay
10-09-2014, 09:46 AM
I am going to do a little that this winter myself. I walked three miles yesterday and toward the end ran up a decent sized hill.

My plan is to walk a few times a week and do some hill intervals building up to a 1 mile hill that I do cycling intervals on.

This is the way I have always done it on a treadmill. Walk and the raise it up to 15 and run a bit.

Quick but gives me some fitness benefit.

RobJ
10-09-2014, 09:22 PM

I was a competitive runner (XC, track, road racing) in HS, college and post college. Started road cycling in college due to a back injury. Now I'm a competitive duathlete (swim like a rock). I've done some cycling road races since and racing cross now too. I'm now 47 and face some of the same challenges as you. I think adding running is great for times when you can't get out on the bike, adding some variety and strengthening other sets of muscles. Trail running is great for the stabilizer muscles which translates well too to cycling. Be aware, as others mentioned, of overdoing it at first and causing injury. Agree with Ryun that running helps the cycling more than the reverse. The running definitely seems to develop the cardio system to a greater degree.

But if you can find time for an hour run why not an hour on the bike? Setup the trainer (or get one) and focus on 45 min to an hour of sweet spot or other intervals. You will see huge improvements in fitness and cycling strength. Remember on the trainer there is no letting up, no coasting so your workout time on the trainer is less than the road for an equivalent workout. I choose the trainer at times, even when the weather cooperates, for this very reason. Quality vs. quantity. I do however notice that I control my weight much better when having a heavy dose of run training versus on the bike. Obviously it's the calorie burn etc.

You can't go wrong and if it works for your life schedule then go for it. Good luck.