PDA

View Full Version : Prestretching Tubular tires...

tbushnel
03-13-2006, 01:09 AM
I admit I haven't searched through the past threads on tubulars to clarify, though I am pretty sure its been talked about. I am getting ready to build a tubular wheelset for my track bike (that actually spends most of its time on the road) and I came across a gentleman selling a single 36 hole tubular rim (Cheap). It won't work for my build, but it occured to me that to have a spare to prestretch tires on (if that still is useful) might be handy.
Any thoughts?
Also, if prestretching is useful, can it be done on the bare rim, or does it need the strength of hub and spokes to do the job.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Ted. :banana: :banana: :banana:

catulle
03-13-2006, 04:24 AM
I have four old NISI rims which I bought NOS for $4 each which I use for stretching tubulars. They are always holding a tubular, which you can keep on the rim indefinitely. Just wrap the tubie on the rim and leave it there until you need to use it on a wheel.

saab2000
03-13-2006, 05:38 AM
I have four old NISI rims which I bought NOS for $4 each which I use for stretching tubulars. They are always holding a tubular, which you can keep on the rim indefinitely. Just wrap the tubie on the rim and leave it there until you need to use it on a wheel.

Word. This is how to stretch them.

Too Tall
03-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Yep! For extra credit put the whole mess into a plastic trash bag.
There is one last stretch you will perform just before putting the tire on your wheel. This is done after the glue is dry (on the base tape). I use my foot and hands to stretch the tire in 4 spot...just pull! Not too hard or you'll tear the base tape.

Sandy
03-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Finally, you got it. "..put the whole mess into a plastic trash bag." Throw the bag away and buy some clinchers! :) :D

Sandy

PS- Please don't beat me up.

tbushnel
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Hopefully by May or so I will have the project completed.

TT - what is the trash bag for? Seems like I read that before, but I can't remember why. Just want to have an intelligent answer when my wife asks what the heck I am doing with perfectly good trash bags.

And Sandy...

Finally, you got it. "..put the whole mess into a plastic bag." Throw the bag away and buy some clinchers! :) Sandy

I got a good laugh out of that :D .
Cheers,
Ted.

Too Tall
03-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Protects them from Ozone and inevitable drying out from the house AC / Furnace.

Oooowwww Sandy...I'm gonna get you suka. ;)

CalfeeFly
03-13-2006, 10:30 AM
In a pinch and if you are weak like me...I forgot to stretch my spare I was carrying and then needed. One person held it and I leaned back and used my weight (plentiful to say the least). It was a Tufo which may require a little more force than a more supple casing.

nobrakes
03-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Protects them from Ozone and inevitable drying out from the house AC / Furnace.

Oooowwww Sandy...I'm gonna get you suka. ;)

I had a 2 sets of really nice Barum track tires go to pot because I'd hung them to "age" in my garage, where I also have a freezer. Ozone from the freezer's compressor/coil unit attacked the tubes first, as the stems pulled out when I went to inflate them. They were also cracked on the sidewalls and tread into uslessness. The tires were hung way on the other side of the garage in a cool, dark corner. I had another Barum glued on the wheels of my old track bike I don't ride that much anymore, and it's kept in a shed outside, and that tire doesn't show any signs of ozone deterioration, and is still rideable and still has air in it from pumping it up months ago. Keeping tubies streched on old rims and bagged is the best way to age and preserve tubulars, especially ones from the "old country", like Barums. BTW, Does anyone know if Barum still makes bike tires?

Too Tall
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
http://bigmacbikes.blogspot.com/2005/02/bigmac-on-tubulars-and-such.html

nobrakes
03-13-2006, 02:03 PM
That is an interesting blog, but I would have to disagree with BigMac that the Barums I've used have little resemblance, physically or in construction, to Tufo tires that I've used since. I know they both are made in former Chech. Republic, most likely in same factory. The "tubeless" technology of Tufo's must have heavily contributed to the Tufo's reputation for loss of good ride feel. These older Barum's were track-only in designation, but fairly durable and good on the road, also. They appear to have a cotton casing, with high thread count, and natural rubber inner tube that was incredably thin. It is always interesting finding out where and what has happened to some of the old favorite products I used years ago.

MartyE
03-13-2006, 02:15 PM
TT,

Thanks for that, I wondered where BigMac had gone off to.

As for rims I found a pair of nondrilled rims that are perfect for
stretching tires, paid a whopping $7.00 for the pair on the bay.

Marty

Too Tall
03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Cool. B.Mac is one cool cat.