PDA

View Full Version : Ride Reports Please (with Passion)

Lifelover
03-12-2006, 10:38 PM
MTB review has a Forum called "Passion". It is where you can find all the ride reports. I still greatly enjoy it because on occasion you do get the feel for the Passion that some riders have. Not for the equipment or the competition but just for the ride.

I write about as well as I ride so I will leave it for others.

The weather here in the east is amazing and there have to be some great ride reports?

I did 54 miles with some great friends. Some slow, some fast. We started together and ended together. Best day I've had on a bike in about 4 months.

SoCalSteve
03-12-2006, 10:51 PM
MTB review has a Forum called "Passion". It is where you can find all the ride reports. I still greatly enjoy it because on occasion you do get the feel for the Passion that some riders have. Not for the equipment or the competition but just for the ride.

I write about as well as I ride so I will leave it for others.

The weather here in the east is amazing and there have to be some great ride reports?

I did 54 miles with some great friends. Some slow, some fast. We started together and ended together. Best day I've had on a bike in about 4 months.

Dont you just love those days!

Been cold and wet here in SoCal (Ok, Senor Jerk, no quips about the weather). So, no riding for me. I dream of warm summer (even spring) days...

They will be here soon. Hopefully to correspond with my 9 month job ending (thats really long for a movie biz job) and me taking a few months off to train, lose weight and start enjoying all of my incoming bikes.

So, no PASSSION rides this weekend, but many to come in the near future.

Steve

Zard
03-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Rode to the top of Mt. Diablo in No. Cal to look at some snow just because we only get snow on top every other year or so. Go to the top. Snow is snow. Zard wanted to remind himself of his youth in Rochester, N.Y. Frankly as there was no sleet, dirty slush or black ice on the road it wasn't quite the same. Also no passing buses to pelt with snowballs - one of our all time passionate things to do in winter.

William
03-13-2006, 05:55 AM
Saturday we spent the morning working in the yard getting rid of the overgrowth and vines that the previous owners let get a bit out of control. I'm not sure what some of these vies are but they get up into the trees and start choking them out. It was a beautiful sunny day and I was itching to get out. Finally I got the ok from Mrs William that she didn't need anymore help so I quickly changed up and got the Skunkbird ready to go. I had promised William Jr. that I would take him to the skate park today so I didn't have a big chunk of time to ride. I chose a familiar route that is about 45 - 50 miles long with plenty of varied terrain, rolling hills, steep climbs and some flat sections. I wanted a good work out so I hammered it out.
The wind was kicking up every so often so I wore my arm & leg warmers just in case. Man was I enjoying myself in the warm sunshine. Quiet rural back roads with just the sound or the bird humming over the pavement, and my steady breathing knocking out a rhythm while I hammered along. Funny thing was, as nice as the weather was, I didn't see any other riders out. Not even earlier when we were working in the yard. Or road is a favorite route into the rural areas for cyclists so I was a little surprised. Oh well, had the roads all to myself. All the motorists I encounter were cool and polite. I just had to watch out for sandy areas since it hasn't been washed or swept off the roads yet.
William Jr. was waiting for me when I got back so it was off to the skate park...which we had all to ourselves. Legs were a little rubbery but it was good for hitting the muscles a little differently. I pulled some one wheelers and axel grinds. I still ride the old-skool tubbo DogTown skate with a single kick tail so I can't do all the jumps and hops the new generation does, but I can still get it done on the vertical with it. William jr is coming along and picking it up nicely. What a blast to ride with him.

All & all, I'd give the ride and 8 out of 10. Family time, 10 out 0f 10. :banana:

Sunday I wasn't able to get out after training & teaching. But I still got an Erg in and worked the bag for a while. Both great cardio workouts.

William

Dr. Doofus
03-13-2006, 06:07 AM
sun -- warm, sunny, great day. couldn't race because of wife's plans...did 4 x 10 at LT, 2:00 ride

mon -- :50 easy on the trainer

tues -- AM: 1:15 on the trainer, 45 min tempo
PM: cloudy and windy, about 58. did 4 x 10 @ LT. 1:30

wed -- cloudy, but in the low 60s. did 3:15 steady on the ol ridley. got bored. yelled things at cows.

thurs -- sunny, perfect. 3:15 steady on the ridley...workin on the suntan.

fri -- :50 easy on the trainer

sat -- road race. crash. did a 30 min TT because doof was pissed off. 3:15 total

sun -- crit. fun. legs a little tired, but hey, its march...still early...1:45

TimB
03-13-2006, 06:54 AM
Saturday I pulled Sophia in the trailer the 8 miles to Candy Cane City. I was going to ride my Concours and leave her home, but she screamed bloody murder. When I explained she was going to miss "Dora the Explorer" she still wanted to come. So I hitched the trailer to my old Performance Mtn bike, loaded Sophia, her stuffed cat (Vox) and her harmonica (no kidding) and a picnic lunch into the trailer and away we went. Uneventful ride to the park (with some harmonica playing as we crossed E-W Highway), time on the swings and teeter-totter and random running around, and then time for lunch. She chose to ride over to the stables to see the horses rather than return to the playground before we headed back home. On the way, paced then passed (going uphill?) some guy on a CF LeMond. I mean: I'm on a 30 lb mtn bike pulling a 40 lb kid in a 20 lb trailer with about 5 extra pounds of stuff. I shouldn't be passing anyone going uphill. Sophia fell asleep on the ride home (we were an hour late for naptime) and slept in the trailer for an hour in the back yard while I did yard work.

Sunday: 26 miles on the Gunnar fixie all by myself. Lots of folks out in the park, just no one I knew. Felt pretty good over all, my first weekend of riding both days since at least last July.

But I think I enjoyed Saturday's ride more...

Bruce K
03-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Saturday - I rode with some freinds who are faster, stronger, and more dedicated than I am, but that doesn't take away the fun. I rode on their "training plan" ride. The weather was super for this time of year low 50's at ride start and sunny.

We all went out on our TT bikes, warmed up for about 45 minutes, did a 30 minute 90% effort, and then rode for about 1.25 hours at easier pace (18).

By the time I got home I had 46 miles (a long ride for me this time of year) and could barely get up the stairs from my basement. But I smiled the whole rest of the day and slept like a log that night.

Sunday was a rcovery type spin with my now 18 year old. After a year off the bike with teen-ager type stuff, he has decided he wants to get back into cycling seriously again this year. Maybe the new Ridley Compact from Bill Bove helped! :D

We ran into a freind at about the 1/2 way point and he turned around and joined us for the last half of our ride.

All in all a pretty good weekend for early season.

BK

flydhest
03-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Watched Paris-Nice on OLN yesterday as it was the first day I've been conscious for several hours straight. A cold/flu went through my group at work, laying waste, and my allergies decided to arrive at the same time.

I don't want to hear what a great weekend it was.

nobrakes
03-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Went to Team meeting at local coffee shop Sat morning, not to ride, but see old buddies. Nice to see who was brave and willing to ride in miserable, wet windy 35-40 degree weather. It turns out quite a few. I declined, since I'm still on the recovery list from last summer's crash. My wife and I did end up on the wind trainers, though.
Sunday afternoon, after doing our usual wind training, I couldn't resist, and took off by myself on my Serotta C II fixt, and did 25 rolling miles. This was work for me, though before my accident, 25 miles was a warmup. Almost was discouraging, however, the memory of neurologist saying how lucky I was just to be just able to walk again kept my spirits in check. Only got misted-on for about 15 minutes, the rest of the time the overcast skies opened and closed to blue sky, and the realization that I'd over-dressed at ride's end made me realize this cold, wet weather streak may finally be coming to a conclusion, here. That recovering from a life-threatening crash takes more time than I have the patience for, and that I'm really doing OK.

davids
03-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Saturday: First road ride since January. 35 miles with a friend through the western 'burbs. We had to go early, so it was in the low-to-mid 40s for the ride. We road with a pair on a Gunnar and a Softride for a while, before leaving them in our (weak) dust. As we headed home, we passed large groups of CRW riders heading out, probably totalling over 100 riders. The first rides of the season! Just lovely!!!

Saturday afternoon, I did 400 miles to Rochester, listening to "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" with my daughter. The pleasant post-ride tiredness made the trip relaxing. Yesterday, another 275 miles to Cleveland and my mom's house.

Today: I ran 2 miles on an indoor track, pacing my daughter. I hate to run, but she's got to get some miles in for her track coach before her first season starts. I followed it up with 20 minutes on a Concept 2 rower. No bike this week, so I'm making due...

Rover-Rich
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Nice weather in Chicago for a change. Sat did "honey do's" in the AM then enjoyed a nice 8mile run alone the IM Canal. Had a great dinner with friends and over indulged in food, wine and cigars. Sunday, paid for my over PM excess. Forgot I had plans to ride at 6:30 AM with a friend. Got up after 4 hrs of restless sleep and hoped on the bike. Mile one "I'm never drinking again." Mile two "I'm never eating again", Mile three "Ok if I puke I'll probably feel better" Mile four, "Ok this isn't too bad" And from that point forward it just got better and better :) I did about 17 mile going outbound, wind at my back and the same coming home. In my AM Stupor, I picked the direction of least resistance to make the pain less evident. Anyhow, by the time we got home, bright sunshine abounded, my head ache disappeared and I was feeling good. I nice hearty egg and corned beef hash made the ride complete. Later that PM did about 5 miles with my son, we rode the "three wheeled bike" ie: MTB with an Adam's Trail-a-bike attached http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=156801&postcount=21

Best cycling weekend in a long time!! :beer:

Tailwinds
03-13-2006, 06:53 PM
That recovering from a life-threatening crash takes more time than I have the patience for, and that I'm really doing OK.

You are not alone. It took me a full 2+ years, and I know it is very frustrating. Read that book I gave you -- Body Mind Mastery. It really helped me when I was impatient.

My ride today -- inaugural ride on Kirk II! Doesn't get much better than that! :banana: Except it could have been above freezing without the few snowflakes that fell -- that would have been nice...

Fixed
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
t.w. sis . does it ride as good as the first i have never had two bikes that felt the same i.m.h.o cheers :beer:

bro any day i'm out on the bike is good even in bad weather ( well almost) it's nice here except for the pollen cheers
take time to look up at the world it's all around you

Tailwinds
03-13-2006, 07:13 PM
t.w. sis . does it ride as good as the first i have never had two bikes that felt the same i.m.h.o cheers :beer:

Fixed bro, I can't really say... I have new wheels, different tires, and new handlebars that are too narrow and were killing my shoulders. I'll get the right bars on there, and it will be awesome again, I know. I'm excited to have it finally.

mikemets
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
15 miles on the bike path with my wife and 2 daughters, 9.9 mph avg :D
Their first time out this year, they'll be up in the 12 mph range during the summer.

jerk
03-13-2006, 07:27 PM
the jerk went out on sunday with a fast triathlete and the world's best bike mechanic with the biggest mustache and the baldest head; supposed to meet "some people" at the usual "place". didn't because "some people" didn't tell the jerk that the usual "place" had changed.....

the jerk had been out to three in the morning the night before entertaing bike industry losers and beautiful 23 year old girls involved in bicycle advocacy...the jerk will allow you to determine who was more responsible for the festivities running into the early morning....but the jerk had to meet people at the shop to get their bikes at 7am so he did....fortunatly he was still so pickled that it really didn't matter that he had forgotton every piece of clothing required to make a 40 degree ride possible....

nonetheless, today he told both the guys he was riding with how happy he was that they took it mellow and slow because the jerk was so hurting and wasted and suffering from cold sweats.....they both then asked why the jerk spent the entire time at the front hammering in his big ring and repeatedly dropping the two of them.....the jerk didn't remember it going that way; but they both did and they were pissed.

so beer, really expensive tequila and young blonde bicycle advocates are the secret to fast riding friends....

jerk

fstrthnu
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.teamnerac.com/storyNews.php?id=131

jerk
03-13-2006, 08:36 PM
http://www.teamnerac.com/storyNews.php?id=131

doood-
you are so fifteen minutes ago.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=183231&postcount=4
jerk

fstrthnu
03-13-2006, 08:46 PM
I need to get off the Myspace... MP on the delayed reaction Yo.
Dunkman Ballers Rule.
Fstrthnu

doood-
you are so fifteen minutes ago.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=183231&postcount=4
jerk

jerk
03-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I need to get off the Myspace... MP on the delayed reaction Yo.
Dunkman Ballers Rule.
Fstrthnu

yeah the jerk knows.

no one hits up the shield's myspace yo.

bunch of haters imho.

jerk

who the hell are the dunkman ballers?

Chief
03-13-2006, 09:55 PM
The ole Chief did 53 miles with a group of about 20 or so riders all of whom but one were 25 or more years his junior. We were hammering at 30+ mph over rolling hills. At one point the Chief was about to fall off the back when a rider gave him a strong push in his back that allowed him to stay with the group. Such encouragement was very much appreciated and a sign of respect which after all is what it is all about. It was a hard ride, but one of those that make you feel good about being able to stick with a bunch of really good riders and ready to do it again.

zank
03-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Did a great night-MTB ride this evening. Got a quick snow storm that left an inch or two on the trail. Slid off a wet bridge head-first into a good size brook. Switched on the lights at 6:00 and rode for another hour. Killer singletrack on fresh snow in the dark. Not a bad night!!!

Frank
03-15-2006, 10:55 PM
With weather and daughter and work and stuff, had not been out on a bike ride yet this year. I have never gone so long without riding, but with daughter gone to her grandparent's for spring break I took a day of vacation yesterday and took advantage of 65 degree sunny with light north wind weather.

I took the Bianchi Chromo Lite out for its maiden voyage. The bike is very close to the same size as my Tommasini, so the fit felt very comfortable. The bike rides nice and the route was a familiar 40 mile loop.

I was expecting to be worn out before I got out of the neighborhood since I have been so inactive this winter, but surprisingly I never felt tired or sore...even today!

It felt really good to get out. Riding is both exercise and relaxation for me, and getting back on the bike reminded me of how much I enjoy it and how much I need to work it into my schedule.