PDA

View Full Version : Wheel strategy

sfscott
10-06-2014, 12:58 AM
I currently have 2 bikes and I switch a set of Enve tublars between them. Both bikes have Enve brake pads.

Because of the issue of running alloy wheels and carbon wheels on the same brake pads, I keep a 10-year old set of Open Pros laced to Campy silver hubs in wheel bags.

I am about to take delivery of a new Peg Marcello and am trying to figure out whether to just keep rotating the Enves or put the Open Pros on the Peg or the Ottrot.

I also am thinking about another wheelset, so each bike has a set. If I went this route, what is a good wheel to complement a Marcello for a heavy guy?

The other route would be to rebuild wheels around the campy hubs. I'd switch to a tubular rim, but unless I go with Ambrosios, I don't think there are any 32 hole tubular rims out there...let alone in carbon.

Any advice or which direction? Should I jump on the Boras that Competitive Cyclist has on sale?

fogrider
10-06-2014, 01:08 AM
I would get wheels for each bike. I run carbon rims on both my weekend bikes but on windy days I go with the 32mm rims. on claim days, I go with 46mm deep rims. I'm rebuilding a bike with aluminum rims for when the rains come back.

makoti
10-06-2014, 05:51 AM
I really, really like my Pancenti SL23's laced with White Industries hubs. I've got 20/28's, but you could get what you need built.

FlashUNC
10-06-2014, 06:15 AM
There's a decent number of tubular rims out there in 32 hole that aren't Ambrosio.

No reason you can't just keep swapping the Enves around. How many bikes can you ride at once after all?

But get new wheels if you want them. Life's short.

redir
10-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Just use the Swiss Stop yellow pads and ride what ever wheels you like. I've been doing that for a few years now and have no problems stopping on AL or carbon rims.

Gummee
10-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Swapping wheels in and out is a PITA when all you have time for is a quick spin.

So... More carbon is in your future 'cause swapping pads out is an even bigger PITA than swapping wheels.

You already have deeper rims now, so do something different. Thought about some shallow carbon? 24-30ish mm deep? Nice and light yet can be semi- aero too.

My $.02

M
self-admitted wheel whore

thirdgenbird
10-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Boras are sweet, but I think I would want one bike with traditional aluminum wheels around.

berserk87
10-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Swapping wheels in and out is a PITA when all you have time for is a quick spin.

self-admitted wheel whore

I have to agree. It's not a major deal but it is a minor pain.

And I, too, am a wheel slut. I have a few sets...

oldpotatoe
10-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I currently have 2 bikes and I switch a set of Enve tublars between them. Both bikes have Enve brake pads.

Because of the issue of running alloy wheels and carbon wheels on the same brake pads, I keep a 10-year old set of Open Pros laced to Campy silver hubs in wheel bags.

I am about to take delivery of a new Peg Marcello and am trying to figure out whether to just keep rotating the Enves or put the Open Pros on the Peg or the Ottrot.

I also am thinking about another wheelset, so each bike has a set. If I went this route, what is a good wheel to complement a Marcello for a heavy guy?

The other route would be to rebuild wheels around the campy hubs. I'd switch to a tubular rim, but unless I go with Ambrosios, I don't think there are any 32 hole tubular rims out there...let alone in carbon.

Any advice or which direction? Should I jump on the Boras that Competitive Cyclist has on sale?

Record hubs, Ambrosio tubies, bob's yer uncle for the Pegoretti.

Gaucho410
10-06-2014, 12:51 PM

In the interest of not driving yourself crazy, I'd echo the sentiment that you should have a set of wheels for each bike, and dedicate certain bikes to be used with carbon or alloy rims so you don't have to change pads or wheels all the time.

The riding characteristics of any wheel are going to come through regardless of what frame they're attached to, so I'd just go for whatever wheels are most unlike what you've got now; if you have shallow carbon and aluminum, I'd give deep carbon a go, or vice versa. Once you've got one of each, you can try each of them on each of your bikes, and when you figure out combos that you like, you can just leave those wheels on that bike.