PDA

View Full Version : OT - minipresso

wc1934
10-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Do I really need a portable espresso maker - might be good for work.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2778234/A-coffee-maker-POCKET-Hand-powered-portable-espresso-machine-makes-hot-drinks-instantly.html

sfscott
10-05-2014, 10:43 PM
If you're looking for something for work, I recommend a Nespresso. I have one on my desk with a milk frother that is silent and works great.

The capsule are expensive on a cost of coffee per pound basis, but the machines are simple, require next to no maintenance and are stylish to boot.

Makes great coffee, and that is coming from someone whose home machine is a Jura super automatic behemoth.

93legendti
10-05-2014, 10:53 PM
That looks interesting.

It reminded me that I have a handpresso - I used it on a trip in 2008 and frankly have forgotten to take it with me on subsequent trips...I need to dig it out and try it again.

http://www.amazon.com/Handpresso-HPWILD-Hand-Pump-Portable-Espresso/dp/B001J0TI58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412567667&sr=8-1&keywords=Portable+pump+espresso

professerr
10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
For 39 bucks it is worth a try, but it does look kinda cheap and flimsy and plastic-y. Have you tried an Aeropress? They look even worse but will make consistently good coffee that is better than all those shiny pod and automatic things the self-styled gourmand places insist make espresso.

SlowPokePete
10-06-2014, 05:43 AM
As long as the coffee's gonna be good...

SPP

brownhound
10-06-2014, 06:10 AM
Ditto on Aeropress.

grawk
10-06-2014, 06:54 AM
3rd for aeropress, they're amazing.

ceolwulf
10-06-2014, 08:49 AM
4th for Aeropress

Mr. Pink
10-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Recently got sucked into a demo of the Nespresso machines in a local kitchen store. Very impressed with the final result, although pods bug me on an environmental level (too much waste). Awfully easy and convienient, though. Anyway, that little Pixie machine was recently marked down to 99 bucks at Williams Sonoma for four days last week, so, watch for that. Sometimes spam is good when it comes from some retailers.

bcroslin
10-06-2014, 10:33 AM
If this can deliver 116 psi of pressure consistently for $39 I'll be buying one.

Aeropress is great but it's not an espresso maker. Nepresso is even better but with capsules being .60+ and it takes 2 per americano the costs add up quick. I was drinking nearly $4 worth of coffee a day.

GScot
10-06-2014, 10:38 AM
5th for Aeropress. That plus a jetboil and titanium cup makes great traveling/camping coffee.

climbgdh
10-06-2014, 10:41 AM
6th on Aeropress. I just had to replace mine..... totally wore out the first one after many thousands of cups of coffee. Amazing coffee.

bcgav
10-06-2014, 10:50 AM
+1 for Aeropress. Signed up for pre-order of the Minipresso. While the Aeropress makes excellent drip coffee, it's not really espresso. The Minipresso looks like it comes closer.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n576/TAG_Balllistic/c4294bae-6abd-41b5-9260-31226c0c4e8b_zps40e0f285.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/TAG_Balllistic/media/c4294bae-6abd-41b5-9260-31226c0c4e8b_zps40e0f285.jpg.html)

crankles
10-06-2014, 11:00 AM
FYI Nespresso now send a plastic bag with a prepaid UPS label. holds 200 used pods. Fill it up, send it back and nespresso recycles. although pods bug me on an environmental level (too much waste).

I like the nespresso for work, the aeropress for travel. My setup at home is a bit over the top.

yngpunk
10-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Recently got sucked into a demo of the Nespresso machines in a local kitchen store. Very impressed with the final result, although pods bug me on an environmental level (too much waste). Awfully easy and convienient, though. Anyway, that little Pixie machine was recently marked down to 99 bucks at Williams Sonoma for four days last week, so, watch for that. Sometimes spam is good when it comes from some retailers.

In Switzerland, they have recycling containers for your Nespresso pods which are picked up with your other ...in the US, you can recycle them at Nespresso stores or if you order your pods online, you can request free recycling bags (put your spent capsules in the bag and send it back for recycling via UPS, free of charge)

nicrump
10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
It also takes 2 seconds to pop it open, dump grinds in the compost and aluminum in the recycling bin.

Since Michelle showed up with her nifty nespresso pixie I have not bothered to fire up the LaSpazialle and wonder if I ever will. Should sell it to make counter space.

We take the pixie traveling too both car trips as well as air.

FYI Nespresso now send a plastic bag with a prepaid UPS label. holds 200 used pods. Fill it up, send it back and nespresso recycles.

I like the nespresso for work, the aeropress for travel. My setup at home is a bit over the top.

bcroslin
10-06-2014, 03:51 PM
FYI Nespresso now send a plastic bag with a prepaid UPS label. holds 200 used pods. Fill it up, send it back and nespresso recycles.

I haven't ordered capsules in going on 6 months - when did Nepresso start including the recycling bag?

thp
10-06-2014, 07:38 PM
You can get a Nespresso for under $100 now.
The capsules can be recycled.
If you're super stingy you just reuse and refill the pods a few time. :-)

bcgav
10-06-2014, 07:44 PM
As somewhat of a self-admitted coffee snob, the feature that appeals to me most about the Aeropress and Minipresso is using your own freshly ground quality beans, not old ground coffee from a Big Agro industrial plantation delivered in a plastic pod.

thwart
10-06-2014, 08:05 PM
A Nespresso is so much better than a Keurig, IMO. And yet I'd bet it's outsold here in the States 10 to 1.

Yes, I know it's coffee vs espresso, but it makes you appreciate how good marketing can overcome mediocre product.

rbtmcardle
10-06-2014, 08:28 PM
wheres the like button?

A Nespresso is so much better than a Keurig, IMO. And yet I'd bet it's outsold here in the States 10 to 1.

Yes, I know it's coffee vs espresso, but it makes you appreciate how good marketing can overcome mediocre product.

nicrump
10-06-2014, 08:34 PM
yet the best "coffee" is an excellent espresso with a 3 extra ounces of hot water.

93legendti
10-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Our Delonghi seems to be on its last legs, so we may be in the market soon. How does the cost of Nespresso capsules compare to buying coffee by the pound?

SleepyCyclist
10-06-2014, 10:32 PM
cost is more (nespresso capsules vs beans), but convenient and consistently good espresso. I have one at work as well (no frother, just add another shot of hot water through the machine for an americano). highly recommended.

m

morrisericd
10-07-2014, 05:53 AM
We have a Gaggia Plus for Illy that seems to be on it's last legs. Perfect timing for this thread (warning - this may be a highjack). I was never really impressed with the espresso coming out of it and Illy has to be the worst for waste - it's capsules are huge. We only drink espresso and Americano's so I'm thinking the Pixie. Has anyone tasted or owned coffee from both? I'm hopeful that the Nespresso will suit my needs.

If anyone's looking for a drip brewer, after exhaustive research and sampling we ended up with a Bonavita about a year ago. By far the best drip coffee I've ever had. The Nespresso is for those after work single cups when you don't want to brew a whole pot.