PDA

View Full Version : OT: My current trip

saab2000
03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
I am writing this from the home of the Cornell Universtity "whatevers" (use your imagination.....) of Ithaca, NY. While flying in here I noticed that the terrain seemed cyclist friendly. Notice how I was paying attention to that and not the flying, even though I effin' greased it on. The snob students and faculty barely bothered to acknowledge our presence in front after having gotten rocked on the short flight from Philly. The weather out east stank/stunk/stinked today.

Anyway, seems like a decent place to ride, especially in summer. Also, it is a bit my type of town, with lots of pseudo/quasi-intellectuals with absurd bumper stickers on their Volvos. Just love their proclamations for justice and liberty for all and their nose-in-the-air way about them around town.

There is no 'segway' to this....

But I think Dr. DBRK can attest to the quality of the cycling here. I saw some neato roads and while trying to observe them and fly the approach to 32 in ITH I said to the other dude, "Hey, I think it would be great riding around here, but these roads look like dirt roads. What's up with that?" Maybe all those treasures from DBRK's gallery posts make sense after all.

Last night I was in Wilmington, North Carolina. It is a Southern City to the core, and welcoming as any place I have been. Full o' Southern Belles and friendly and nice 'n hot 'n humid. S'only March folks and it's warm there already. But I liked it. Went for a run and saw all sorts of Southern charms. Huge houses and lots of plaques regarding historical and prominent things there in Nawth Ca'alina. Friendly folks.

The previous day I was in Huntsville, Alabama - the home of our 'adopted' rocket scientists. When we say, "Well, it ain't rocket science!" this is the place we are talking about! Our flight attendant had no idea about NASA or the Apollo project (is this possible?) and as I explained Dr. Braun and Redstone, etc. I could see the head of the van driver nod and nod as we drove past a Saturn V rocket there which is a leftover to that era. To not be in awe of that is for me incomprehensible. If I have any heroes in life (And that is not certain) those are the ones. The rocket scientists for their brains and foresight and the crazy nut pilots who strapped themselves in for the ride.

All the places I visted seemed cyclable, especially Huntsville and Ithaca. I don't know about Wilmington, but it might be. I would love to ride in the Alabama hills in winter and the Ithaca hills in summer.

Sorry for the long-winded post. But this is what I do when I dream of riding. Every place I visit I wonder if it would be ridable. I should get home tomorrow night or Tuesday morning. Hopefully I can finish my Serotta assembly at that time.

OldDog
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I have camped north of Ithica on the west side of Cayuga about 8 miles at a place called Spruce Row. I've ridden a bunch of the back roads from Cayuga over the hill west to Seneca. Great area. There's hills but the roads traverse them nicely. Lot's of wineries. Neat hiking up the gorge to Tunkhannock (sp?) Falls.

Dr. Doofus
03-12-2006, 08:39 PM
when in Ithaca:

Hot Truck

not cyclist friendly, but

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ray
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Awesome riding around the Ithaca area, from my limited experience. Lots of hills, plenty of good paved roads along with the dirt, the most enjoyable descent I've probably ever ridden was the descent from the west down to Robert Treman State Park. Great town too - my daughter's thinking of going to college next year.

-Ray

mike p
03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Saab,

I live 10 mi outside of Ithaca in trumansburg. Greatest place I've ever lived for cycling. We have everything except long (rocky mt type) climbs. Great roads paved and unpaved, very steep climbs, wonderful countryside, and low to no traffic outside Ithaca. We race every tues nite all summer long and TT's on thur. So when you stop back in summer bring bike and join in. Also you nailed Ithaca\cornell.

Mike

PS I've greased it in on 32 and 14 many times. Also mucho grass strips everywhere around.

Lincoln
03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I am writing this from the home of the Cornell Universtity "whatevers" (use your imagination.....)

Actually, you got it right. It's the Cornell Big Red. We just don't what it is that is big and red.

Bradford
03-13-2006, 09:58 AM
You are correct about the riding, but you are incorrect about the students. Cornell is the blue collar Ivy. When you are thinking of snobs, I believe you are thinking about Princeton and Harvard. In my experience, which includes degrees from a small college, a big 10 school, and one from Cornell, and also includes recruiting trips to at least 15 other schools, Cornellians are far from the worst of the bunch. In general, I find the Cornell community to have pretty nice folks.

Perhaps you are not aware that only part of Cornell is a private school. The other part is a state university of New York, and I know many people who attended the Ag school because it was the affordable option.

As for the riding, I still dream of it. Long rides through beautiful farm land with huge climbs and descents. Lots of months where I had to shovel the back deck to make room for my rollers, but it is great when the roads are clear.

saab2000
03-13-2006, 10:24 PM
You are correct about the riding, but you are incorrect about the students. Cornell is the blue collar Ivy. When you are thinking of snobs, I believe you are thinking about Princeton and Harvard. In my experience, which includes degrees from a small college, a big 10 school, and one from Cornell, and also includes recruiting trips to at least 15 other schools, Cornellians are far from the worst of the bunch. In general, I find the Cornell community to have pretty nice folks.

Perhaps you are not aware that only part of Cornell is a private school. The other part is a state university of New York, and I know many people who attended the Ag school because it was the affordable option.

As for the riding, I still dream of it. Long rides through beautiful farm land with huge climbs and descents. Lots of months where I had to shovel the back deck to make room for my rollers, but it is great when the roads are clear.

Don't misunderstand me. I liked it there. I go back next week. But I can't help but make fun of places where all the cars have bumper stickers preaching to others about various social ills and issues and fringe politics. But those stickers are on cars which the people they claim to stick up for could never dream of affording..... I just see irony in that.

I am sure you are right about the people. I meet all sorts of people in my job and travels and try to find the best, not the worst, in them. But the cynic in me cringes when I see some of the stuff I see.

I went to a college full of crackpots who are now probably as mainstream as it gets. Anyway, happy to hear Cornell is 'blue collar'. Closer to my own roots.

While leaving the area this morning I once again noted that the riding looked good. I might have to try to venture up there this summer.

JohnS
03-14-2006, 06:35 AM
You are correct about the riding, but you are incorrect about the students. Cornell is the blue collar Ivy. .
That's a relative term if I've ever heard one!

stevep
03-14-2006, 07:07 AM
if you go ..visit glen swann cycles outside of town. you can probably hook up w/ him/ them for a ride while there.
he runs an unusual pro shop on top of a very steep but not too long climb near ithaca.
39-25 climb standing on the pedals.
very rural outside town. many very steep hills.
like miniature mt washingtons...
my 2 kids went to cornell.

Sheldon4209
03-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Saab,
You might consider the Bon Ton Roulette. It is a week long ride that usually goes through Ithaca and is in the Finger Lakes area. My wife and I have ridden it twice and enjoyed the ride. The scenery is beautiful and the locals are friendly.
Sheldon

Dr. Doofus
03-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Hot Truck

Hot Truck

for Gods' sakes, people...

Stouffer's went to them to get the french bread pizza thing right

Ithaca = Hot Truck

shaq-d
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
about NASA or the Apollo project

no doubt, they were good movies in black and white :p