PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle treatment? What do you use?

Cicli
10-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I just ran out of Obenaufs. I use it on my Red Wing Heritage boots and on my saddle. I have never used the brooks stuff.
So, before I order more Obenaufs LP, what do you use?

CNY rider
10-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I use Obenaufs too.
Are you not happy with it?

Stephen2014
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Only Proofide, remember Brooks could make other saddle treatments but they don't. If I had an old worthless rock hard saddle i'd maybe use dubbin but never on a good saddle.

Cicli
10-05-2014, 07:27 PM
I use Obenaufs too.
Are you not happy with it?

Nah, it actually works great. Took me years to go through a 4oz jar. Even with my boots. I may just keep on that.

ultratoad
10-06-2014, 09:50 AM
I have used both.... Both great products for Brooks.... I am currently using the Brook's stuff, but mainly because they recommend it.... I have 10 year old saddles that look new.... I use it about every three months (dry climate).... Never let leather dry out and it will last a lifetime....

s_curran
10-06-2014, 10:25 AM
I just use neatsfoot oil and finish it off with some basic boot wax. I also wax the underside. I use the Brooks' stuff on my Redwings on the other hand.

palincss
10-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Proofide.

Frankwurst
10-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Obenaufs. :beer:

Ken Robb
10-06-2014, 12:49 PM
I just use neatsfoot oil and finish it off with some basic boot wax. I also wax the underside. I use the Brooks' stuff on my Redwings on the other hand.

Brooks recommends against neatsfoot oil because it softens the leather to the point of weakening it and clogs the pore preventing the leather from breathing. OTOH if a person wants a saddle that is really "broken-in" and is used to riding on non-breathing synthetics it may be the way to go.

s_curran
10-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Brooks recommends against neatsfoot oil because it softens the leather to the point of weakening it and clogs the pore preventing the leather from breathing. OTOH if a person wants a saddle that is really "broken-in" and is used to riding on non-breathing synthetics it may be the way to go.

Hmm, interesting points. I liked using it because it required less application and care, since the bike lived outside for the last 3 winters in Boston. Now it lives inside and maybe I should go back to the Brooks', although I havent had to apply anything in forever, and even then i've just done wax.

Ken Robb
10-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Hmm, interesting points. I liked using it because it required less application and care, since the bike lived outside for the last 3 winters in Boston. Now it lives inside and maybe I should go back to the Brooks', although I havent had to apply anything in forever, and even then i've just done wax.

It may be that once you have done the neatsfoot treatment you can't undo it. I don't know. Heck, if you are happy with the saddle why change treatments now? Did you get much softening or sagging?

Stephen2014
10-06-2014, 06:47 PM
I always wondered about tung oil though as it totally dries and was used to waterproof boats. (proper tung oil not danish oil that is labelled as tung oil)

Stephen2014
10-06-2014, 06:50 PM
It may be that once you have done the neatsfoot treatment you can't undo it. I don't know. Heck, if you are happy with the saddle why change treatments now? Did you get much softening or sagging?
Something about the leather cells getting like waterlogged except oillogged, with stuff that won't evaporate away like water does.

witcombusa
10-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Obenaufs. :beer:

Yep, Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP

Great stuff!

Louis
10-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Obenauf's on my boots and Brooks Proofide on the saddles.

Edit: Except for my Danner boots. They still have the "original" stuff on them, and I haven't decided what to use. There's some info on the Danner site, which I have to revisit before the snow flies.

s_curran
10-07-2014, 10:18 AM

I don't think oiling any material is permanent, but no, no excessive sagging. It helped when the saddle was starting to break in, it had a few tough "ridges" and was a little lob sided (still is). I could have sent it back but I was so tired of it as I had just got this one as a replacement for one that the rails snapped on way too quickly. I also just popped a rivet, but will probably replace on my own.

zacstanley
10-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Brooks Stuff has worked great for me.