PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to bump up to Super Record?

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I had an unfortunate accident at my club ride yesterday. I was backing up to park and one of the other club member some got behind me with his car and I backed into him damaging the drive side of my Chorus crank arm.
I was lucky everything else was OK but the crank arm cracked from being hit by the pedal from my friends bike the was in front of mine on the rack.
Anyway time for a new crank-set. I'm wondering if it's worth it to bump up to a Super Record Crank-set.
It's a $230.00 dollar difference based on the prices I've found.
I could recoup some of the loss by selling the left crank arm and chain rings since they are in perfect condition.

sokyroadie
10-05-2014, 11:54 AM
I personally don't think the slight difference is worth it, unless you drink the Ceramic bearing Kool-Aid. ;)

I have been very happy with Chorus 11s on several bikes.

Jeff

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah I've been seeing posts about the Ceramic bearing thing not sure if that's worth the extra $230.00. It's painful enough to even have to cough up the cash to replace the crank.

thirdgenbird
10-05-2014, 12:08 PM
I would get record. Get the hollow arms without the expense of the cult bearings.

ik2280
10-05-2014, 12:14 PM
I have a SR11 crankset on my 585 - can't tell the difference between it and my old Record 10 UT crankset. Go with Record, or even Chorus. I would've gotten Chorus, but I found this crankset on Craigslist for dumb cheap.

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm trying to find an exact replacement gear wise so I need a mid compact 52/36
an so far both SR and Record are priced pretty high. The only way to get close to the Chorus price would to go compact or regular 53/39.
I really like the mid compact after riding with both standard and compact.

FlashUNC
10-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Record and Super Record have hollow arms, whereas the Chorus are still foam filled. Super Record has the ceramic bearings, the rest are regular alloy.

I think you'd be fine with Record.

jds108
10-05-2014, 12:41 PM
We all know that all of the top-tier (SR, Record, Chorus) Campy parts are all very nice. So get what you can afford and what makes you happy!

I have a Chorus crank and a SR crank. On the workstand with no chain installed, the SR spins longer as there is no grease in the bearings and they're not fully sealed. Out on the road it's impossible to tell the difference.

brando
10-05-2014, 12:53 PM
I got a sr crank on close out for chorus price. The cult bearings are a very noticable upgrade compared to chorus and record. I dunno if it's worth it but I'm glad every time I ride it. Not sure why others can't feel the diff, I can. And I am happy with my other bike with chorus.

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 01:22 PM
So if they are not fully sealed wouldn't that require more maintenance? I ride all year round so there will be moisture here in the N/W.

kramnnim
10-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Surprising that the frame was not damaged...

The missing seal is in the SR cups.

thirdgenbird
10-05-2014, 03:10 PM
And I would just use your standard sealed cups.

oldpotatoe
10-05-2014, 03:20 PM
I had an unfortunate accident at my club ride yesterday. I was backing up to park and one of the other club member some got behind me with his car and I backed into him damaging the drive side of my Chorus crank arm.
I was lucky everything else was OK but the crank arm cracked from being hit by the pedal from my friends bike the was in front of mine on the rack.
Anyway time for a new crank-set. I'm wondering if it's worth it to bump up to a Super Record Crank-set.
It's a $230.00 dollar difference based on the prices I've found.
I could recoup some of the loss by selling the left crank arm and chain rings since they are in perfect condition.

'Worth' is a big word, plus you looking at 2014-ish crank or 2015? In any case, I don't think ti spindle, hollow arms or CULT bearings are worth it. I would get a 2015 Chorus mid compact, sell the rings and CR bolts on eBay.

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 03:50 PM
'Worth' is a big word, plus you looking at 2014-ish crank or 2015? In any case, I don't think ti spindle, hollow arms or CULT bearings are worth it. I would get a 2015 Chorus mid compact, sell the rings and CR bolts on eBay.

It's either a 2014 or 2015 mid compact I'll have to check. My old one is on a 2013 Focus Izalco It's on Ebay for $319.00 shipped. Any difference between the years?

oldpotatoe
10-05-2014, 04:10 PM
It's either a 2014 or 2015 mid compact I'll have to check. My old one is on a 2013 Focus Izalco It's on Ebay for $319.00 shipped. Any difference between the years?

2015 is the new 4 arm, any CR size, type. Very stiff, very versatile.

AngryScientist
10-05-2014, 04:17 PM
definitely not worth the jump from a practical standpoint.

the fact is that none of us, and i'm convinced this is true, would be able to tell the difference on the bike between chorus UT and SR UT crankset, no way.

now, if the aesthetic means something to you, or the bike overall weight does, that's a whole different story, and only you can determine the worth of those items.

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 07:03 PM
That's nice looking crank reminds me of a Dura Ace Crank.

Mr.Pave
10-05-2014, 07:10 PM
definitely not worth the jump from a practical standpoint.

the fact is that none of us, and i'm convinced this is true, would be able to tell the difference on the bike between chorus UT and SR UT crankset, no way.

now, if the aesthetic means something to you, or the bike overall weight does, that's a whole different story, and only you can determine the worth of those items.

I put at least 4k miles on my Chorus cranks and I loved them after riding my Ridley for 2k miles with FSA aluminum cranks.
That was a noticeable difference due to the carbon being stiffer.
But in a blindfolded test I would not be able to tell between Chorus or SR.
It seems like a bit of a lateral move after hearing everyone out.