PDA

View Full Version : NFS Chain Lube...

xeladragon
10-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Nevermind... gonna buy a bottle from FastforaSlowGuy. :)

echelon_john
10-03-2014, 08:51 PM
EDIT: I made a comment using the term "snake oil"; I was mostly referring to the price of the lube, compared with lots of other options. I've used it, and didn't see/feel any difference vs. ProLink.

Poor choice of words on my part; no offense meant.

Cat3roadracer
10-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Looks like it would be good with crusty bread and fresh ground pepper.

makoti
Enjoy your snake oil!

I use it. It seems to work really well. SMELLS bad, works great.

FastforaSlowGuy
Or I can just send you an extra bottle I have sitting in my garage. Damn stuff lasts forever.

joosttx
10-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Enjoy your snake oil!

Why is it snake oil? What is your beef, yo? I have some and it works great.

buddybikes
10-03-2014, 09:06 PM
A former neighbor, CX racer discovered that anti-freeze sprayed on shoes will shed mud effectively. He was going to bottle store bought anti-freeze into 2 ounce containers and sell them for 15 bucks a pop.

xeladragon
10-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Or I can just send you an extra bottle I have sitting in my garage. Damn stuff lasts forever.

Well then... PM coming your way!

Cat3roadracer
10-03-2014, 09:08 PM
The reviews look great. Never heard of it before reading this.

jmeloy
10-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Got it on 4 bikes and the drivetrain are dead silent. And yep a bottle lasts so damn long.

FastforaSlowGuy
10-03-2014, 09:16 PM
If you ride in the wet it's awesome. Lasts forever. But wipe your chain post ride.

wc1934
10-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Nevermind... gonna buy a bottle from FastforaSlowGuy. :)

How/where did this thread start - somehow I missed the beginning. What brand chain lube are you all talking about?

ultraman6970
10-03-2014, 09:38 PM
NFS?? never heard about that.

Interesting.

giordana93
10-03-2014, 09:41 PM
it wasn't mentioned earlier, but here is some relevant info. might be in shops soon or already. I have no affiliation but hang out "across the hall" and bought a couple bottles for a good cause and cause it's good

http://ballersride.com/shop/nixfrixshun-chainlube-nfs

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f3/nfs-chainlube-wait-over-29984.html

RedRider
10-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Too Tall (Josh) created and manufactures it. You use much less on the chain and a bottle lasts a while. Call me at the shop if interested. Savile Road stocks it.

makoti
10-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Across the hall. Check it out. It does work very well. Post ride, though, I find I hate having the bike in the car. Smells really bad. Pre-ride drive is fine. Post is bad. Hey... you don't think it's ME, do you?

ultraman6970
10-03-2014, 09:51 PM
You can buy this stuff from ebay now... 6 bottles for 72 bucks. Good thing is that the dudes are just like 30 mins from me. Bad thing I'm broke :D

rwsaunders
10-03-2014, 10:18 PM
I've had a bottle for a year or so and I use it on a couple of bikes. Good stuff, works as promised and lasts quite a while. Comparing it against ProLink, I use less and the drivetrain is quieter and cleaner.

bcroslin
10-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I was going to ask about this stuff after reading something about in the latest Bicycling mag. Author mentioned only needing to lube his chain once in 4 months or something crazy. Is that true?

joosttx
10-03-2014, 11:13 PM
I was going to ask about this stuff after reading something about in the latest Bicycling mag. Author mentioned only needing to lube his chain once in 4 months or something crazy. Is that true?

I go about six weeks to 8 weeks but I ride in the dirt a lot.

FlashUNC
10-03-2014, 11:42 PM
It definitely doesn't take much. Josh was kind enough (like any crack dealer really) to hook me up with some at NAHBS this year. Only touched the chain once or twice since. Way less frequent than Tri Flow and still silent.

Smells awful, works great.

vqdriver
10-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Regarding the bad smell. Are we talking about strong chemicalish odor or like no shower hippie college roommate smell?

whatwolf
10-04-2014, 02:58 AM
Regarding the bad smell. Are we talking about strong chemicalish odor or like no shower hippie college roommate smell?

strong chemicalish odor. don't spill it.

Black Dog
10-04-2014, 06:50 AM
The performance claims of this stuff matches my experience with Chain-L except Chain-L does not smell bad at all. Silent drive train, long lasting, small amount needed, bottle lasts forever, and no harsh odours. :banana: No stakes in one or the other just pointing out an alternative.

oldpotatoe
10-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Get some Mobil One..a little drip bottle, drop on each roller of a clean, dry chain...wipe well, repeat, wipe well..go ride..tell me what ya think..

cash05458
10-04-2014, 07:40 AM
"Get some Mobil One..a little drip bottle, drop on each roller of a clean, dry chain...wipe well, repeat, wipe well..go ride..tell me what ya think.. "

thanks for the tip Peter...gonna give that a try!

jmoore
10-04-2014, 07:47 AM
I love chain lube threads!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
10-04-2014, 07:47 AM
"Get some Mobil One..a little drip bottle, drop on each roller of a clean, dry chain...wipe well, repeat, wipe well..go ride..tell me what ya think.. "

thanks for the tip Peter...gonna give that a try!

Had some type of bike chain goop in the shop..freebie sample..seemed a lot like engine oil..if used sparingly and wiped well..on a clean, dry chain..gee it was quiet and lasted a long time..kinda like Mobil One.

Using just a wee bit, clean, dry chain, and wiping well is more important than type, IMHO.

paredown
10-04-2014, 07:50 AM
I love chain lube threads!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Sooo--
Campy or Shimano?
Tubular or clincher?

:banana:

Black Dog
Get some Mobil One..a little drip bottle, drop on each roller of a clean, dry chain...wipe well, repeat, wipe well..go ride..tell me what ya think..

This works too, just get the highest viscosity oil you can find. Better than motor oil is manual transmission gear box oil. Nice and viscous and will last on the chain forever and about the same price as motor oil. Chain-L is essentially a blend of various high viscosity oils and additives. These solutions also work great in free hub bodies to keep them loud pawl and ratchets nice and quiet too.

bcroslin

Just 10W30? After years of riding bikes I'm convinced I'm lubing my chain wrong. I'm in FL and it's usually pretty wet and sandy on the roads. I use tri-flow but after a week or so my chain is black. I do the drop on each roller thing (after wiping off the chain) but after reading the thing about NFS I'm wondering if I'm using too much tri-flow. I lube about every 100+ miles.

ultraman6970
10-04-2014, 07:59 AM
Tri-flow is an ok product but is not like super duper either.

Why movil one? the synthetic oil from wallmart is cheaper and is even thinner and more slick than movil 1.

After you lube you have to clean the chain, if you dont do that everything will be stuck in the chain.

xeladragon
10-04-2014, 08:06 AM
The performance claims of this stuff matches my experience with Chain-L except Chain-L does not smell bad at all. Silent drive train, long lasting, small amount needed, bottle lasts forever, and no harsh odours. :banana: No stakes in one or the other just pointing out an alternative.

Currently using Chain-L... it's ok. Hoping NFS will be better though.

RedRider
10-04-2014, 08:17 AM
I'm amused and often have a laugh at how threads like this always sink to the lowest denominator. A chemical engineer with a passion for cycling mixes up a new chain lube that seems to solve a few problems and in a short time it's suggested that some crap from Walmart would do the same job. Threads discussing the most subtle tubes for better performance degrade into who buys the cheapest tubes in bulk and how many patches can you put on one. I'd be worried if I thought you were serious but I do get your sarcasm!

Joachim
10-04-2014, 08:23 AM
I've used them all, going back 25 years, from wynflon to white lightning wax to Tri flow to Prolink to Chain L. NFS is my favorite. It's not really clear to me how NFS equates to snake oil so maybe someone can enlighten me on this one. Maybe you had the NFS analyzed by a lab to determine the constituents and it's indeed only rattle snake juice or Mobil one or repackaged WD-40 with corn starch. Please post those results if you have them.

jr59
10-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm amused and often have a laugh at how threads like this always sink to the lowest denominator. A chemical engineer with a passion for cycling mixes up a new chain lube that seems to solve a few problems and in a short time it's suggested that some crap from Walmart would do the same job. Threads discussing the most subtle tubes for better performance degrade into who buys the cheapest tubes in bulk and how many patches can you put on one. I'd be worried if I thought you were serious but I do get your sarcasm!

EVERY TIME I think thats just part of the inter webs.:eek:

I don't know about the other stuff listed on here. What I do KNOW is that the NFS really works well. I feel kind of sorry for Josh aka To Tall, the stuff works to well. I've been using it for over a year and still on the same bottle. Thats not good for sales. GREAT for me, bad for Josh and those who sell this stuff. I might try some of the stuff listed here, when I run out of NSF, but thats going to be a while!

Tony T
10-04-2014, 08:32 AM
The performance claims of this stuff matches my experience with Chain-L except Chain-L does not smell bad at all.

I tried Chain-L once, didn't like the smell (I keep my bike parked in the house)

Tony T
10-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Just 10W30? After years of riding bikes I'm convinced I'm lubing my chain wrong. I'm in FL and it's usually pretty wet and sandy on the roads.

That sand will rip up the chain and cassette. In those conditions, may be better to use a light oil like ProGold, and wipe the chain and re-apply after every ride.

gdw
10-04-2014, 09:32 AM
"I'm amused and often have a laugh at how threads like this always sink to the lowest denominator. A chemical engineer with a passion for cycling mixes up a new chain lube that seems to solve a few problems and in a short time it's suggested that some crap from Walmart would do the same job. Threads discussing the most subtle tubes for better performance degrade into who buys the cheapest tubes in bulk and how many patches can you put on one. I'd be worried if I thought you were serious but I do get your sarcasm!"

I'm amused by the folks who are so easily convinced that a new and expensive product is clearly superior to anything else on the market. :banana:

Saint Vitus
10-04-2014, 09:40 AM
...These solutions also work great in free hub bodies to keep them loud pawl and ratchets nice and quiet too.

Loud hubs save lives!

saab2000
10-04-2014, 09:56 AM
I'm amused by the folks who are so easily convinced that a new and expensive product is clearly superior to anything else on the market. :banana:

It's a product developed and sold by a guy like us with a passion for bikes and riding. I've shared many miles with this guy and he's as good as they get.

The stuff is great - I have a couple bottles and as mentioned, it works as advertised. Nothing is perfect. You still have to keep your chain clean. An application lasts a long time. A bottle will likely last a normal user several years.

As for motor oil? Yeah, it keeps the chain quiet for a ride or two. It's also a dirt magnet and the NFS seems to attract a bit less dirt.

There's no perfect solution. Drivetrain maintenance is still required no matter how you lubricate your chain.

Bob Ross
10-04-2014, 10:34 AM

I saw that mention in Bicycling, the thing I remembered was his claim that Tom Kellog told him you're only supposed to use 9 drops on your entire chain.

My question is, where do you put those 9 drops? Evenly distributed along the length of the chain, or just all in one area and then spread it along the length of the chain?

zap
10-04-2014, 10:34 AM
I've known Josh for a very long time and I know he has tried god knows how many different types of chain lube and different application techniques.

Josh loves the sport of cycling and if he didn't believe in the product, he'd still be mixing and testing. I have used NFS and in my experience it ranks up there with the best chain lubes.

Tom
10-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Chain on big ring and little cog. Nine drops on the pins and rollers. Spin it backwards while you count to 75 slowly. Wipe the plates with a cotton rag. Move the chain to the little ring and another cog. Wipe the excess off the ring and cog. Seriously. After each ride, wipe down the plates. It you ride 600 miles in the rain, put on a couple more drops after.

I understand Tom Kellogg is not very tall so if you're average size or more you might have a longer chain. Go nuts. Use ten drops.

I must have got a later generation of the stuff because the product I have doesn't smell. The chain does seem to stay a lot cleaner than other products I've tried. On the bike I ride all the time I do strip the chain and relube it about once a month or every 800-1000 miles which is probably OCD but I still am working on the first bottle I got.

gdw
10-04-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm not disparaging Too Tall or his product and wish him the best of luck in his endeavor. My comment was in response to Redrider's post which is true.. but so is mine.

fuzzalow
10-04-2014, 11:00 AM
I saw that mention in Bicycling, the thing I remembered was his claim that Tom Kellog told him you're only supposed to use 9 drops on your entire chain.

My question is, where do you put those 9 drops? Evenly distributed along the length of the chain, or just all in one area and then spread it along the length of the chain?

Correctly or not, I gave all credit to the purveyor of this chain lube for chutzpah in drawing a parallel in the application of this product with the biblical allegory about the feeding of the multitudes from a basket of fish. And to those seeking enlightenment, who knew it could be found in a bottle of lube? With that kinda omnipotence, it should not even need to be applied but to simply wave the bottle over the chain. With apologies to Winston Churchill for butchering his quip on martinis.

In fairness, dunno anything about NFS outside of computer topology. Maybe it's a great product. I just tend not to buy things spurred on by the cult of personality segment of the interwebs.

Joachim
10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
^^^ I am more than willing to send you some so you can try it for yourself. You will, however, have to apply it to the chain and not just wave the bottle over it.

93legendti
10-04-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a bottle, but stuff doesn't have that bad of a smell, no worse than any other lube. Seems to work really well. I would buy again.

I didn't buy it because of a Living Color song...:rolleyes:

bcroslin
10-04-2014, 11:42 AM

9 drops right? Seems like magic. I read that sentence and thought I must be using way too much lube on my chain.

Joachim
10-04-2014, 11:45 AM
9 drops right? Seems like magic. I read that sentence and thought I must be using way too much lube on my chain.

I didn't believe it the first time I read it, but it's true. Up to you if you want to believe the users. Or maybe we are all internet shills for the company.

Corso
10-04-2014, 01:15 PM
NFS: best lube I’ve ever used. Over the years I’ve tried them all.

I use it for mountain bikes, cross, road, on my trainer, and and now using a little on my cables.

Smell? Never really noticed it. Expensive? Used as recommended, it last a long time. (and I use 11 drops, kind like Spinal Tap).

terry
10-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Best I've ever used-in 40 yrs of riding. Used sparingly, lasts a long time, keeps chain clean (wipe after use-3 seconds) and it keeps the chain unbelievably quiet. Personally, I've never noticed any smell. As a bonus it was developed by a fellow cyclist, and I like that.

makoti
10-04-2014, 06:00 PM

At first I thought it was hydraulic fluid from my shocks leaking. Smells like that.
I should note (since I started the whole smell question) that I only smell it in the car after a ride. Not in the house. Not in the car before a ride. It isn't bad enough when I do notice it that I would use something else.

Seramount
10-04-2014, 06:15 PM
if NFS is better than Chain L, I want to try it...

I'm getting an average of 750 miles between applications of C L...which compared to the <100 mi for TriFlow, is pretty impressive.

anyone want to send me some?

LegendRider
10-04-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm tempted, but I'm not paying $25 for chain lube ($15 + $10 shipping).

Bob Ross
10-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Chain on big ring and little cog. Nine drops on the pins and rollers. Spin it backwards while you count to 75 slowly. Wipe the plates with a cotton rag.

Okay, but as per my previous question: Where do you put those 9 drops?

I've got >100 pins and rollers on my chain; do you put one drop every ~10 links? Or do you put one drop on any 9 consecutive links and then let the backpedaling/wipe-down routine distribute it to all the other links?

joosttx
10-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Okay, but as per my previous question: Where do you put those 9 drops?

I've got >100 pins and rollers on my chain; do you put one drop every ~10 links? Or do you put one drop on any 9 consecutive links and then let the backpedaling/wipe-down routine distribute it to all the other links?

I don't think it matters. When I first got it I put two drops on one link and is disturbuted well. I usually put about six drops disturbuted throughout the chain. I think nine is over kill.

oldpotatoe
10-04-2014, 07:19 PM
I don't think it matters. When I first got it I put two drops on one link and is disturbuted well. I usually put about six drops disturbuted throughout the chain. I think nine is over kill.

So how do it migrate to those 6-7 links that don't get any direct lubbage?

gdw
10-04-2014, 07:27 PM
"So how do it migrate to those 6-7 links that don't get any direct lubbage?"

Magic but it only works for those who believe in it......

joosttx
10-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Your guess is good as mine, but it does. I'm just a humble entomologist and not a fluids engineer.

ultraman6970
10-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Probably the thing has grasshopper properties too.

Your guess is good as mine, but it does. I'm just a humble entomologist and not a fluids engineer.

likebikes
10-04-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm tempted, but I'm not paying $25 for chain lube ($15 + $10 shipping).

This. total rip off on shipping

joosttx
10-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Probably the thing has grasshopper properties too.

Yeah, I know more about lubbers than lubbage. Seriously, I just put drops throughout the chain and just spin it in the big ring and little cog for approximately a minute, and wipe the sides of the chain with a rag. It distributes just fine.

Liv2RideHard
10-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I have been using NFS for quite some time. I use it on all my bikes and my kids bikes. Road, CX and MTB. I got mine from Jonathan Greene. Jonathan has built bikes for me and turned me on to NFS. It really is good stuff. I use it sparingly, think 6-8 drops on your chain and that will do it. It spreads itself out. Wipe your side plates before every ride. Lasts quite some time. Doesn't attract stuff like other lubes tend to and I have used everything under be sun. It keeps my drivetrain really really quiet. NFS is the real deal.

Give it a try.

Guy

jr59
10-05-2014, 03:05 AM

The same way that tinniest of drop of oil used in your Rolex watch works!:p

oldpotatoe
10-05-2014, 06:11 AM
The same way that tinniest of drop of oil used in your Rolex watch works!:p

But, but, but it's Swiss oil, extracted on the last Tuesday of leap year month by trolls wearing green and gold.

And the kittens, don't forget the kittens..

Little Bill
10-05-2014, 08:49 AM
Time to clean the coffee off my screen....:hello:

bingomck
10-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Used it for about two years now. No need to try anything else now. Just wipe chain off with a rag after every ride...

dave thompson
10-05-2014, 05:04 PM
I supplied NFS lube to my wife's two friends that did the TransAmerica cross-country ride. New cassettes and new chains were installed before their tour and NFS was the lube I used when setting up their bikes. I also sent them out with a bottle of NFS for use along the way. Over 3,000 miles each and no chain issues whatsoever. They used a little more than half the 2oz bottle along the way. NFS isn't cheap but it is a great value per mile/dollar/oz/etc. It's a staple in my garage.

phutterman
10-05-2014, 05:04 PM
With regard to how to apply so few drops evenly, I kind of squeeze the bottle so a drop is just coming out of the nozzle but held in by surface tension or whatever and hold that close to the chain...it's sufficiently viscous that each drop gets kind of pulled across a bunch of links. I don't count exactly how many drops I'm putting, but definitely don't overdo it. It does seem to keep everything impressively clean.

oldpotatoe
10-05-2014, 05:52 PM
With regard to how to apply so few drops evenly, I kind of squeeze the bottle so a drop is just coming out of the nozzle but held in by surface tension or whatever and hold that close to the chain...it's sufficiently viscous that each drop gets kind of pulled across a bunch of links. I don't count exactly how many drops I'm putting, but definitely don't overdo it. It does seem to keep everything impressively clean.

But, but, but.....oh never mind...

54ny77
10-05-2014, 06:12 PM
yup. i've got a quart (5/30, an extra from my car) that's about 4 years old now and i think i've got another 10 years to go before i get close to finishing it up.

cost per application is running about, oh, a few cents....at most.

i dip a toothbrush in the container, then apply by spinning the chain backwards. do this a couple times, let soak for a bit, then wipe off excess. will usually wipe the chain clean after every 2nd or 3rd ride or so, then re-apply.

it lasts several rides, it works great, i don't overthink it.

works as well if not better than anything else i've tried (i've got at least a dozen different brands of chain lube on the shelves). for simplicity, and cost, it's terrific and very hard to beat.

:cool:

and $25 for nfs? umm, i'll take, "what is nfw for free, alex."

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/yge29etw1nA/0.jpg

Cat3roadracer
10-05-2014, 06:56 PM
If we are going to try Mobil 1, how about trying the more sophisticated shart I use in my TDI - Castrol Edge Professional LL03. Smells dramaticly different than usual motor oil. Must be good.

professerr
10-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Years ago, my family used to visit friends at their vacation home. They were involved with one of those multi-level marketing “businesses” that sold, among other things, a special, “uniquely formulated” dish soap. The claim was that all you needed was a couple drops to do a family’s worth of dishes. Invariably, while cleaning up after a meal someone would extol the amazingness of the miracle soap.

We liked these friends very much, and very much wanted to believe in them and their soap. At some level, we did. Truth is, it was just dish soap, and the dishes were always a bit greasy because a couple drops wasnt enough. And that was just fine.

professerr
10-05-2014, 11:26 PM
But, but, but it's Swiss oil, extracted on the last Tuesday of leap year month by trolls wearing green and gold.

And the kittens, don't forget the kittens..

I can't stop laughing each time I read this.

vqdriver
10-05-2014, 11:49 PM
For all those crying "sham!" and "shenanigans!" Have any of you bought, used, and been disappointed with NFS?

There's no way I'm paying that much for fawking lube. It's way in the other side of unnecessary for me. But I don't get the need to rain on their parade. Others like it. Assume they're not complete idiots and take their word for it.

Auk
10-06-2014, 04:48 AM
I bought a bottle of it. . . . and then lost it or left it at a cross race last year.

I liked it so much and was so over the other lubes I still had on the shelf (Boshield, Pro-Gold, White Lightening, Pedros, Tri-flow, a hodge-podge of homebrew stuff) that I bought a second bottle. In the time since and with nearly a dozen bikes (my story and sticking to it) I still have 3/4 bottle left. It's that good and you use that little. $25 total input and you'll get a couple years out of it. Most of you guys spend $25 or more in a week on your favorite froo-froo drink from the coffee shop.

It works. Period.

makoti
10-06-2014, 05:44 AM
^This. It kills me that somehow $25 for a bottle of lube that lasts forever, quiets everything down, & just seems to do what it is supposed to is WAY too much, but $250 for shorts? NO PROBLEM! :)

biker72
10-06-2014, 06:17 AM
^This. It kills me that somehow $25 for a bottle of lube that lasts forever, quiets everything down, & just seems to do what it is supposed to is WAY too much, but $250 for shorts? NO PROBLEM! :)

Or $500 for a pair of shoes.

bewheels
10-06-2014, 06:47 AM
I use it.
It works as advertised.
Spend your money where you want.

93legendti
10-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Or $500 for a pair of shoes.

Or how much for Assos or Rapha gear or the top Campy grouppo?

Like the opposition to Retro Shifters, there are a small minority who are always negative about things they have never tried. It's cute.

Lewis Moon
10-06-2014, 08:19 AM
If the NFS folks would either just explain why the shipping is so expensive (do they need a hazmat cert? because I'm pretty sure a bottle will fit in a small USPS flat rate box) or just lower the shipping rate already.

One of my biggest pet peeves in online marketing is when an item is offered relatively cheaply, and the seller turns around and makes up for the profit lost on the "loss leader" by gouging on the shipping. I hate it when airlines advertise low fares then gouge you on fees for baggage, I hate it when phone companies do this, it just seems dishonest.

Several of the particulars in the NFS cosmos have offered reduced rate or even free bottles of the stuff when I've complained about the shipping. That's very nice and all, but I just can't bring myself to use the stuff if I think something isn't quite right.

Please don't construe this as knocking the product. I've never tried it, and I'm pretty sure that, given what is available in lubricant chemistry, it could be stellar. I just don't like paying more for shipping than it should cost.

PS: You CAN use first class, because I'm pretty sure shipping speed isn't mandatory on chain lube

Joachim
10-06-2014, 08:23 AM
If the NFS folks would either just explain why the shipping is so expensive (do they need a hazmat cert? because I'm pretty sure a bottle will fit in a small USPS flat rate box) or just lower the shipping rate already.

One of my biggest pet peeves in online marketing is when an item is offered relatively cheaply, and the seller turns around and makes up for the profit lost on the "loss leader" by gouging on the shipping. I hate it when airlines advertise low fares then gouge you on fees for baggage, I hate it when phone companies do this, it just seems dishonest.

Several of the particulars in the NFS cosmos have offered reduced rate or even free bottles of the stuff when I've complained about the shipping. That's very nice and all, but I just can't bring myself to use the stuff if I think something isn't quite right.

Please don't construe this as knocking the product. I've never tried it, and I'm pretty sure that, given what is available in lubricant chemistry, it could be stellar. I just don't like paying more for shipping than it should cost.

PS: You CAN use first class, because I'm pretty sure shipping speed isn't mandatory on chain lube

I understand your peeve, but I just look at the total price. I do the same on ebay. In the end, the value (even with $10 shipping), FAR outweighs anything I've encountered in the lube realm when taking everything into account. Focusing on one small detail (ie shipping) should not prevent the big picture. I thought you worked in science? :)

Lewis Moon
10-06-2014, 08:28 AM
I understand your peeve, but I just look at the total price. I do the same on ebay. In the end, the value (even with $10 shipping), FAR outweighs anything I've encountered in the lube realm when taking everything into account. Focusing on one small detail (ie shipping) should not prevent the big picture. I thought you worked in science? :)

I do...Would you shave a data point and then add to another just to make your journal article look better?

soulspinner
10-06-2014, 08:37 AM
It's a product developed and sold by a guy like us with a passion for bikes and riding. I've shared many miles with this guy and he's as good as they get.

The stuff is great - I have a couple bottles and as mentioned, it works as advertised. Nothing is perfect. You still have to keep your chain clean. An application lasts a long time. A bottle will likely last a normal user several years.

As for motor oil? Yeah, it keeps the chain quiet for a ride or two. It's also a dirt magnet and the NFS seems to attract a bit less dirt.

There's no perfect solution. Drivetrain maintenance is still required no matter how you lubricate your chain.

+1 to the no perfect solution. Manager at a bike shop I worked in said its more important that you do it well and frequently than what you use (within the context of chain lube).

LegendRider
10-06-2014, 08:49 AM

For perspective, you can get Chain-L for $12 delivered. Nothing has kept my drivetrain as quiet.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I'm not attacking NFS. Obviously it works well. In fact, I'd like to try it. But, I don't buy $500 shoes, $250 bibs or $25 chain lubes - that's my MO.

Joachim
10-06-2014, 08:55 AM
I do...Would you shave a data point and then add to another just to make your journal article look better?

An outlier (shipping in this case) can be thrown out, especially with countless other data points (all the other benefits).

Joachim
10-06-2014, 08:56 AM
For perspective, you can get Chain-L for $12 delivered. Nothing has kept my drivetrain as quiet.

BTW, I want to make it clear that I'm not attacking NFS. Obviously it works well. In fact, I'd like to try it. But, I don't buy $500 shoes, $250 bibs or $25 chain lubes - that's my MO.

I've used Chain-L. I might still have some. NFS works better. Both keep it quiet, but NFS attracts much less dirt.

joosttx
10-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Isn't it datum point?

J.Greene
10-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Full Disclosure: Josh is a good friend and supporter of my Frame business.

I've been offering a bottle of NFS with every frame sold and and to a few local racers. I've always believed that most of us could improve chain life performance by just cleaning and lubing our chains more. That will get anyone 90% of the way there. IMHO, NFS just improves upon that. I've given some bottles of NFS to some ultra bikepacking racers I've either built frames for or just pal around with. They do anywhere from 275-2750 miles on mostly dirt. These guys love the stuff. When an ounce of lube will get you from Bannf to the Mexican border that's more room in your kit for other things and the harsh conditions of a long off road race can wreak havoc on a drivetrain. If anyone reading is from Central Fl and will be around the cross races this fall, look me up. I'd be happy to lube a few chains and make some new friends.

Clydesdale
10-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I got a bottle across the hall when it first came out. Can't remember what it cost but I know it wasn't $25 as that would have been a deal breaker for me as I lean toward cheap.
HOWEVER - I'm half way through that bottle now and having used it and many other things that are out there... I will probably spend $25 bucks on it now when I finally use up what I have. Agree with above - "Smells bad works great."

oldpotatoe
10-06-2014, 09:20 AM
For all those crying "sham!" and "shenanigans!" Have any of you bought, used, and been disappointed with NFS?

There's no way I'm paying that much for fawking lube. It's way in the other side of unnecessary for me. But I don't get the need to rain on their parade. Others like it. Assume they're not complete idiots and take their word for it.

I'll bet it works great, inspite of the '9 drops and count to 75' gig. But when in the trenches I think I saw 8-10 'revolutionary, new' chain lubes. They all worked great but 'bicycle chain lube', not wheel bearing lube for the Mars Rover.

Corso
10-06-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll bet it works great, inspite of the '9 drops and count to 75' gig. But when in the trenches I think I saw 8-10 'revolutionary, new' chain lubes. They all worked great but 'bicycle chain lube', not wheel bearing lube for the Mars Rover.

I love you guys who never tried it, but have no problem saying “not for me”…reminds me of the old Bill murray SNL skit: the movie reviewer who never saw the films.

Shipping: factor in the time it takes to process and mail the sale. I don’t think the Ballers are getting rich from selling the lube. Profits go to support the Ballers ride, not line pockets.

I bought 2, so paying $5 a bottle for shipping didn’t bother me at all.

Only chain lube: I guess a bike chain isn’t so important. Try riding without one.

AngryScientist
10-06-2014, 09:51 AM
must be October. arguing over chain lube?

i think we're done here, the pros and cons seem to be layed out.