PDA

View Full Version : Will the front end of this cross bike be too low?

ik2280
10-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I have a quick geometry question. I have short legs and long arms (and torso), so I have my 585 (53 x 54.5) set up with a 130 mm, - 17 degree stem. I'm looking at a cross bike on the forum, here are its measurements:

ST:52
TT: 56
HT: 95 mm
stack height: 35 mm
room for spacers: 31.75 mm
HT + stack height + room for spacers: 161.75 mm
fork a-c: 395 mm
stem I'll want to run: 100 or 110 mm, - 6 degree

The 585's measurements are:

ST: 53
TT: 54.5
HT: 150 mm
stack height: N/A, integrated headset
room for spacers: no spacers beneath stem
fork a-c: 368 mm
stem that I run: 130 mm, - 17 degrees

My math (and my very basic understanding of fitting) says that the front end of this cross bike won't be too low for me, given the cross bike's added stack height, greater fork a-c measurement, room for spacers, and shorter and less aggressive stem. The question is: will the front end still be too low for me?

(For what it's worth, I'm young, somewhat flexible, and feel like I could comfortably go lower on the Look.)

What do you guys think? Sorry if I missed anything!

Ike

John H.
10-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Need more info-
Need bb drop for both bikes. This affects stack.
Is the cross bike a press in headset? You mentioned 35mm? What headset is it?
What size top cap on Look frame?

ik2280
10-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the response, John. It's a Chris King headset - not an integrated headset. But I've sorted it out, talked to a fitter, moderators can delete this if they'd like.

Ken Robb
10-03-2014, 05:05 PM
In general would we want a cross bike to have a more upright position than a race-type road bike? I'm guessing that aerodynamics are less important in cross and that it would be a plus to be able to look head easier and shift weight fore-and-aft easier as well. I'm no racer but when riding on loose/soft surfaces I don't like too much weight on my front wheel.

ik2280
10-03-2014, 05:09 PM
My worry is that with a cross bike with a 54 top tube, like the cross frame I have lying around right now, I'll have too much weight on the front wheel because of the long stem I'll need to get comfortable on it. We'll see, though. I'm going to buy the frame with the 56 TT, should work for me. I would have a road bike with a longer TT, too, but I like my 585 too much.

This was more a question of head tube length, which I sorted out, than top tube length.