PDA

View Full Version : Is offseason CX changing spring road racing?

FastforaSlowGuy
10-03-2014, 06:03 AM
Never raced CX (maybe this is the year) but as popularity grows I wonder if the racing vets here have seen the fitness level in spring road races tick upwards? Just curious.

shovelhd
10-03-2014, 06:08 AM
No not really. Around here only about 25% of the cross fields in the categories I race in are full time roadies. The rest are cross specific and guys who show up in the middle of the road season to get in race shape. Even of those 25%, the cross season ends in January and the road season starts in March. What I see is those who trained for the start of the season and those who are training for later. This changes every week in March and April. By the end of April everybody is fast.

Jgrooms
10-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Cross in Oct-Dec, for most, isn't going to be part of a good winter base for road. Looks like fun. Wanna have fun or be a cross spec guy/gal? Super! Just don't preach about how 'fit' it keeps you for spring. Blasting around above threshold and worrying on Tue about results on Sat results in compromised base-again for most.

Now if you need cross to get you out the door after Oct 1, then yes its great to keep you 'fit'.

1, 2, 3...

carpediemracing
10-03-2014, 08:09 AM
No not really. Around here only about 25% of the cross fields in the categories I race in are full time roadies. The rest are cross specific and guys who show up in the middle of the road season to get in race shape. Even of those 25%, the cross season ends in January and the road season starts in March. What I see is those who trained for the start of the season and those who are training for later. This changes every week in March and April. By the end of April everybody is fast.

+1

As a rider that typically tried to peak for March/April the level of racers seems pretty consistent in the spring.

You always get the winter champions that are absolutely flying in March. Since fitness levels are all over the place the distinctions become more obvious. At Bethel, for example, there are usually 10-15 riders in each field that seem to be flying first week of March, and often the first races end in breaks. By the end of Bethel, in early/mid April, it's usually much more difficult for breaks to escape, because the fitness levels are a lot closer overall. The really unfit-but-experienced riders gain fitness quickly, the fit riders can't gain as quickly, so it ends up even. This applies to the 3-4-5 riders. P12s tend to be consistent relative to one another, 5s also.

Finally if anything I think that the cross season keeps people off their bike until later. For those actually racing until January they seem to return to the scene in April/May. The ones racing hard in March often stopped in Sept/Oct.

GregL
10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
The biggest 'cross-related change in road racing here in CNY is that there are more cross races and fewer road races. As cyclocross has grown in popularity, teams and clubs that previously promoted road races are now promoting cyclocross races. From a promotors point of view, 'cross is much easier to manage (no road permits needed, usually no interface with law enforcement, much easier to marshal courses, no need for following vehicles, etc...).

- Greg

redir
10-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Seems to me that the cross popularity peaked a couple of years ago.

shovelhd
10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Seems to me that the cross popularity peaked a couple of years ago.

I disagree. I don't think its anywhere near its peak. I see cross continuing to erode road racing at the local level as it has done to MTB. I see cross at the national level expanding as the UCI is driving it worldwide. If Cross Vegas goes World Cup next year, that will only raise the bar higher. As always, JMHO and all that.

redir
10-03-2014, 11:12 AM
I disagree. I don't think its anywhere near its peak. I see cross continuing to erode road racing at the local level as it has done to MTB. I see cross at the national level expanding as the UCI is driving it worldwide. If Cross Vegas goes World Cup next year, that will only raise the bar higher. As always, JMHO and all that.

What I am seeing as a promoter is that what happened is that cross got so popular that there were several races in fairly localized areas competing with each other but it all worked out because there were so many cross racers that the local events would fill up anyway. Now we have a calendar full of races with fewer attendees, the market got saturated if you will. So what we need to do is reduce once again the number of races.

I hope you are right but it's just not what I am seeing.

45K10
10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
What I am seeing as a promoter is that what happened is that cross got so popular that there were several races in fairly localized areas competing with each other but it all worked out because there were so many cross racers that the local events would fill up anyway. Now we have a calendar full of races with fewer attendees, the market got saturated if you will. So what we need to do is reduce once again the number of races.

I hope you are right but it's just not what I am seeing.

That is interesting, I would assume that you are located in the Pacific NW or in the NE US? I just moved at the beginning of the year from Vancouver BC. down to NC. Every CX race I did in Washington (Bellingham and Seattle) over the past 2 years was pretty much maxed out. The NC CX scene so far has been pretty great, nowhere near the number of participants as in Washington but still good numbers and a good number of races but it is a one pony show since there is only one statewide CX series with a lot of local pre-season series.

redir
10-03-2014, 01:39 PM
That is interesting, I would assume that you are located in the Pacific NW or in the NE US? I just moved at the beginning of the year from Vancouver BC. down to NC. Every CX race I did in Washington (Bellingham and Seattle) over the past 2 years was pretty much maxed out. The NC CX scene so far has been pretty great, nowhere near the number of participants as in Washington but still good numbers and a good number of races but it is a one pony show since there is only one statewide CX series with a lot of local pre-season series.

I'm talking about your neck of the woods in particular, well close enough, Virginia. There is also a Tennessee series that is very good too, you should go to it this weekend ;)

When I started doing the NC series back in 2000 it was like no one ever even heard of cyclocross by 2008ish it was HUGE. It's still a good series and has a good reputation and still has descent attendance.

gavingould
10-03-2014, 01:44 PM
what is this... road... racing you speak of?

at least around here, the real serious roadies kind of taper into cx and slowly lose fitness as they're pretty burnt out from killing themselves since March. if they continue to train and race hard all the way to CX Nationals they'd have no break or slow build for next road season.

berserk87
10-03-2014, 01:48 PM
What is notable in my area is that it seems that the growth of cross has contributed to an increased interest in gravel road riding.

Gravel road rides used to be a niche thing that a few road and MTB racers would do in the winter to alleviate boredom (on mountain bikes, for the most part).

Now, with more folks having cross bikes, it seems like there are many more gravel road rides, and they go on year-round. There are even gravel road race events here, which there never were 10 to 15 years ago. There is one in early November that I would like to try, actually, but might be unable to due to scheduling issues.

People have the bikes to do gravel road riding and they want to get out and use them. Cross bikes fit that niche somewhat.

shovelhd
10-03-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm talking about your neck of the woods in particular, well close enough, Virginia. There is also a Tennessee series that is very good too, you should go to it this weekend ;)

When I started doing the NC series back in 2000 it was like no one ever even heard of cyclocross by 2008ish it was HUGE. It's still a good series and has a good reputation and still has descent attendance.

Cross has been popular since the 80's here in New England. It has had its growth spurts along the way. The UCI races sell out except for maybe the women's fields. Local races do not always sell out but there may be choices for the same weekend. Undoubtedly my location skews my perspective.

redir
10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Cross has been popular since the 80's here in New England. It has had its growth spurts along the way. The UCI races sell out except for maybe the women's fields. Local races do not always sell out but there may be choices for the same weekend. Undoubtedly my location skews my perspective.

Yup I was born and raised New Englander. I never raced cyclocross back in the 80's but it always peaked my interest.

shovelhd
10-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Yup I was born and raised New Englander. I never raced cyclocross back in the 80's but it always peaked my interest.

Neither did I. I don't understand the appeal.

MattTuck
10-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Neither did I. I don't understand the appeal.

Try getting dropped on the first hill of a road race. Riding 30 miles off the back solo is not fun.

ultraman6970
10-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Seen a lot of guys preparing for the CX season doing fix gear in this area.

Bruce K
10-04-2014, 04:45 AM
The Gloucester Women's 3/4 field sold out and had a waiting list to boot!

I believe Providence is similar.

4/5 fields are selling out at many local races.

Local, smaller races don't sell out but they have large numbers.

The "explosion" this year is cub juniors and juniors under 18. Fewer MTBs and WAY more 24" wheel cx bikes or really small frame cx bikes in those fields.

Boston College HS has a team this year.

I would say that the future for cx in New England looks pretty bright.

BK

rab
10-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Maybe in the areas that have had CX racing going longer perhaps?

Texas kicked off their series this weekend and I heard both days had the biggest attendance to date. That area really seems to be continuing to grow.
Dallas-FTW has had some weeknight races that have had decent sized fields as well. Not New England/Pac NW sized but solid and growing?

Hopefully see the same continue out here in Arizona where it is still small.

as far as appeal, had some friends try to convince me to do cx for a while but I never thought it looked that fun...then I tried it and instantly loved it.