PDA

View Full Version : Another good LBS will be gone soon

Bruce K
10-03-2014, 04:27 AM
Pinnacle in Beverly, MA will be closing in a couple of weeks

The owner has decided to focus on his on line businesses (2), the pro team he runs, and family time.

Makes sense for those who know him. Just sad to lose a good shop.

BK

oldpotatoe
10-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Pinnacle in Beverly, MA will be closing in a couple of weeks

The owner has decided to focus on his on line businesses (2), the pro team he runs, and family time.

Makes sense for those who know him. Just sad to lose a good shop.

BK

Not much on the web site..was it a more traditional 'bike shop' or niche-y?

What online biz does he have?

Wish him luck, I certainly see the need to move on..LBS' is a labor of 'like', at best.

Ti Designs
10-03-2014, 07:48 AM
I'm always afraid the doors will be locked when I get to work...

merlinmurph
10-03-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm always afraid the doors will be locked when I get to work...

And everybody but you has the new key.....

old fat man
10-03-2014, 07:56 AM
OP, it's Stu Thorne from cyclocrossworld.com. I've never been to his shop, but seeing how much he puts into the cx team and site, I can't fathom that he has time to be a present bike shop owner. Maybe Pinnacle wasn't able to survive without his involvement?

Tiguy, you could always get a job at Farina's, right?

leftyfreak
10-03-2014, 08:37 AM
OP, it's Stu Thorne from cyclocrossworld.com. I've never been to his shop, but seeing how much he puts into the cx team and site, I can't fathom that he has time to be a present bike shop owner. Maybe Pinnacle wasn't able to survive without his involvement?

Tiguy, you could always get a job at Farina's, right?

Yep, selling lawn mowers...

Corso
10-03-2014, 08:45 AM
The shop was well staffed, I don’t think Stu’s travels hurt them. They had something for everyone, as in kids bikes, etc, not just high end (but those too).
They were ALWAYS helpful, and would do there best to get you whatever you needed.

Sorry to see Pinnacle close, but I hope the other shops in the area will benefit on the buyer who doesn't order online.

Stu is one of the good guys in this industry. Best of luck!

1centaur
10-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Bruce, this is a major bummer. That was the only LBS I used these last few years.

Where would you go for your wrenching from this point forward?

Climb01742
10-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Where would you go for your wrenching from this point forward?

i'd like to ask that question too. since craig left IBC, and jeff no longer wrenches at ride studio cafe, i've been casting around for a shop to frequent. is there any consensus about most customer-friendly shop in boston 'burbs?

Bruce K
10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
From all accounts the shop was doing OK

Lease came up for renewal. Landlord wanted long term and big increase.

I think it was basically just time to take one ball out of the juggling loop.

CyclocrossWorld.com, roadbikeworld.com, the pro cyclocross team , and I believe he still has a small line of cx products that he is designing and producing under Thorne products make for plenty of stuff to do.

He was at the shop 5 days per week except during the big travel times for the cx team.

Plenty busy. Just a decision to scale back

BK

Bruce K
10-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Centraal Cycle in Beverly is a great small shop with a good wrench

Skyrider from the forum works at Woody's in Middleton

I don't know much about Bikeway Source but they support a bunch of cx folks

BK

Ken Robb
10-03-2014, 10:57 AM
And everybody but you has the new key.....

Thanks for getting my coffee up my nose. :)

sitzmark
10-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Centraal Cycle in Beverly is a great small shop with a good wrench

Skyrider from the forum works at Woody's in Middleton

I don't know much about Bikeway Source but they support a bunch of cx folks

BK

None of the guys in the shop able to pick up the torch and carry it? Maybe a relo to space more "financially friendly", yet convenient to customer base ...

Seems a shame shutter the doors on something that is doing "OK". Guess that term is relative - not likely one shuts down the most profitable holding in the portfolio. The other two businesses likely have a better return on $ and invested time.

1centaur
10-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Woody's is the close one for me, or the lower end shop in Topsfield.

Climb if I was living in your neck I'd consider CycleLoft. They do enough high end stuff and racers that they should get most of it right. I've had reason to go there a few times over the years and been fairly happy. The worst thing by far is the minimal parking in their specific lot, and the restaurant lot next door has warning signs about not parking there, so I park in the shopping center and roll my bike on over the medians.

Bruce - Fit Werx?

Bruce K
10-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Marty and Dean are great guys

They used to be more tri oriented but it's slowly changing

They have lots of high end stuff but lots of budget busters for me these days

Centraal is owned by Mark Bavineau. Lots of experience in all facets and has wrenched for Team USA at cross worlds I believe

You'll be fine either way

Woody's is at least worth a look to see if they fit your needs

BK

FastforaSlowGuy
10-03-2014, 02:36 PM
I always found it weird that Pinnacle was closed on Sundays (same for Fit Werx). Seems like being open when people are not at work is sorta important. Just my $0.02. Good shop, though.

For Climb, I've had good experience with the RSC even since the change-over. For complicated stuff, just swing by on a Saturday and get Rob V to weigh in. I'll second the folks at CycleLoft. I'd trust them with pretty much anything. Fit Werx is great, too, and their labor prices are in line with everyone else. Plus, you get to kill time drooling over some truly top-flight gear. It just isn't as close to me, so I tend to go elsewhere.

That said, I do most of my own work and only bring the bikes in when I'm stumped.

Corso
10-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Woody’s for sure!

I have no affiliation with the shop, just a very satisfied customer. I like to give all local shops business, Pinnicale and Woody’s are my top 2. Now that Stu has closed...

Woody is a great guy, well known in the area and industry. He used to build wheels for Chris Chance at FAT city, just to talk a bit about his history.

Woody’s moved into a larger space around the corner from the old shop.

http://www.woodyscyclery.com

Bruce K
10-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Pinnacle is still open for about 2 more weeks but it will definitely leave a void.

Centraal is between work and home so.....

BK