PDA

View Full Version : Body ratio? tall clothes?

kasak
10-02-2014, 09:15 PM
The general questions is what is your bike inseam (split to floor) compared to your chest measurement. Mine happens to be a 42.5 (108cm) inseam and 41 (104cm) at the chest... I'm starting to think this might be a tad bit odd. Just wondering what the ratio is on people who don't fall way outside the bell curve and also wear cycling kit. Anyone else with a ratio>1?

Also looking for clothing suggestions that might work on my 6'9 frame (weight: 190lbs). I'm all ears if you have suggestions or favorites. For reference, I've kinda got a torso of someone who is 6'2 and the legs of someone who is 7'2. Jerseys aren't too hard come by. A Large or XL tends to work if it happen to have pretty long sleeves and is on the race fit side. An XL LG Carbon Jersey (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/louis-garneau-performance-carbon-jersey-short-sleeve-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW5cJ3MgUm9hZCBCaWtlIEplcnNleX M6MToyNjpjY0NhdDEwMDMzMw&skidn=LGN0840-BLA-L) is proably my best fitting jessery to date. The real trick is finding shorts. An 11+ inch inseam seem to help a fair bit but it so hard to find (in part because it is so rarely listed). I've had some luck with long tri compression shorts in the past but the they also age pretty fast. The stupid sexy flanders look I can tolerate, the emperor's new clothes look not so much. Any ideas?

pakora
10-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm on the threshold of tall, and I have a long torso and arms for 6'5", or short legs anyway (35.5" cycling inseam). Like you said, for me shorts with a longer inseam work better. My team kit from the new Pactimo stuff has longish bibs and no gripper, which fits me better.

I also have a Pactimo long sleeve jersey whose sleeves reach beyond my wrists when I'm riding - non-tall sized, and I wear a 37" sleeve in a dress shirt. Possibly a second or blem because I got it for super cheap.

There's a company that makes tall cycling stuff (aerotech designs I think) and I tried their tall jersey and shorts - the shorts are so long I don't even like wearing them, so they might be good for you - they go completely to my knees. Well made, but cheaper and less fancy material compared to, well, fancier stuff. The tall jerseys are quite long as well, but the material is very old school, like early 90s waffle-patterned scratchy polyester old school, and retain a lot of moisture in the heat.

On the other hand, I think I paid around 100 bucks for two jerseys and a pair of bibs, so for the price I thought it was decent.

alancw3
10-03-2014, 03:44 AM
you might check zinn cycles online store. i know they have some clothing and specialize in big and tall cycling needs:

http://zinncycles.com/Zinn/index.php/archives/5

echelon_john
10-03-2014, 05:54 AM
6'6" here. Look at Bouré. Their shorts run long, and they'll also do custom length for an additional fee.

They're nice shorts; not Rapha/Assos quality, but very good, and they're great to deal with, made in USA (to order!) and proven track record.

Bib shorts:
http://www.boure.com/1102.html

Custom size info:
http://www.boure.com/customfit.html

I would try the stock version of your size (looks like XL) before you go custom; I find their legs to run really long, to the point where I've considered getting them shortened.

kasak
10-03-2014, 07:15 AM
@pakora: Thanks for the suggestions! The Pactimo looks like nice stuff. Oddly their 'trust the magic' fitting system has me in a small :eek: I'll definitely be looking more into what they offer in a L and XL though. Funny enough, I actually have a pair of Aerotech tights I had forgot about. And you are so right about how long their stuff is. I tried a pair of bib tights and the waist was nearly to my armpits. The non bib version fits much better but yeah not the fanciest of pants.

@alancw3: Thanks for the link to Zinn. Any idea if/when he get new stock? I maybe mistaken but it seems like the few sizes still available have been there for some time. I'd be happy to take some off his hands but it kinda looks like he may have gone to doing special order at this point.

@echelon_john: Thanks, looking into them now. Looks promising

Anyone tried voler? I've they can be on the longer inseam side at some point but can't remember when or where. The thermal skinsuit of theirs looks interesting....

mhespenheide
10-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Can't help on the shorts.

I'm 6'4" - 6'5", 180#, 15.5"/35" dress shirt. XXL Castelli long sleeve jerseys usually do well for me. You might check out if they have 3XL sizing. Evidently the Italians are a small people...

Thanks for asking the question; I'll keep watching for other people's suggestions.

//Edit: Oh yeah, Nashbar and Road Runner Sports usually bring out their tights around this time of year and both of them offer tall sizes in tights. At least they have in previous years.

regularguy412
10-03-2014, 10:41 AM
You may want to check Hincapie Sports. It's decent stuff but definitely cut for taller/slimmer riders. I had to go up 2 sizes in jerseys (usually Medium,, went to XL) just to get it to fit my chest. The inseam on the shorts was substantially longer than Giordana, Descente or MOA ( which fit me much better than the Hincapie).

Mike in AR:beer:

pakora
10-03-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm 210 lbs and the pac xl race cut jersey fits my body well in everything but length, but it's long enough that it at least covers my belly button standing and doesn't ride up much riding.

HenryA
10-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Boure will make you custom shorts, so look at that.

kasak
10-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've got a pair of Boure, Hincapie, and Pactimo on the way and will follow up on how they fit once they arrive.

kasak
10-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Following up:

My measurements are 41 hip, 34 waist, 41 chest, 190lbs, and 42.5' on the bike inseam (A 36' pant inseam will tend to work though)

Went with the ELITE Bib Shorts (http://www.boure.com/1502.html) from Bouré in a size large. I debated sizing up to an XL or just going right to a custom order but the large is really a great fit. Their sizing is pretty true and the inseam does seem to be a bit longer than the 9.5' claimed on the site. I will likely have a custom inseam done in the future but the suggestion to start with the standard fit is a very sound one for the tall community. Overall the material has a quality about it that says these things are going to last. The straps are nice and wide. The pad isn't thick (prefered) and it covers more area than most. The silicon grippers are very right and I'm not a big fan of grippers in general. The tradeoff is these are a little warmer than most summer bibs. The pad and fit can also work such a way that when coming out of the saddle the pad can shift rather suddenly and oddly as it still has a little too much memory from sitting. I suspect this will disappear once I break the pad in a little better though. Of the three I order this is the easy pair to recommend but are my second favorite at the moment. Cost ~ $135.

I went with a Hincapie Sportswear Power GT Bib (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/hincapie-sportswear-power-gt-bib-shorts-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW5cJ3MgU2hvcnRzICYgQmliczoxOj M6Y2NDYXQxMDAyMTQ&skidn=HIN0447-BK-S) in a size XL. This was a slight size up from what I could have worn according to the numbers provided by competitive cyclist. Unfortunately it was to large and the decision didn't work in my favor. These will be going back due fit. These are a lighter weight bib and while nice didn't impress me nearly as much as the Boure. They did have a really clever band/silicon gripper that I would like to try out more. The inseam is a claimed 10.5 and this seems to be about right. Could have worked well but they are really only aiming for third out of there here. Cost ~$110 on sale.

I went with the Summit Raptor Bibs from Pactimo (http://www.pactimo.com/shop/summit-raptor-bibs.html) in a size large. These are the ones I really like the best. It is a snug but not quite full compression fit all the way are round. The 10.5 inseam claim seems a bit conservative but the way these stretch could have something to do with that. They are lighter material than the Bouré and likely will not last as long but shed heat pretty well. The pad has bit more cush but it is all well placed and there is no sudden shifting issues to speak of. I'll be getting a second pair and soon. Cost ~$160 (new customer coupon brought it down to 135)

I skipped the Velor as more current reviews seem to indicate they were running a bit shorter than they had in the past.

I didn't even look at the Assos but if those are the best of the Pactimo and the Bouré then the price suddenly seems much easier to justify.

jmoore
10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
6'5" here

DeMarchi bibs have long straps and are very comfortable. The one pair of Santini bibs I had were plenty long too. I roll my bib legs up, so leg length is not important to me. I like them on the short-ish side, about 4-5" above my knee.

For jerseys, both Road Holland and Torm jerseys are long in the body. Very comfortable.

kasak
10-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Ty jmoore

I have a Torm jersey and it is definitely longer in the body than most. The sleeves want to ride up more on me more than I'd like but still a very nice jersey overall.

Which reminds me, if any tallist are looking for a fall/ light winter top I've found a icebreaker mondo (200 weight) base layer and vest with pockets is a pretty solid combo.

Charles M
10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Endura sell Bibs that are cut long and short and also that have chamois in 3 different widths...

RonW87
10-13-2014, 10:47 AM
You may want to check Hincapie Sports. It's decent stuff but definitely cut for taller/slimmer riders. I had to go up 2 sizes in jerseys (usually Medium,, went to XL) just to get it to fit my chest. The inseam on the shorts was substantially longer than Giordana, Descente or MOA ( which fit me much better than the Hincapie).

I found that the Hincapie Power bibs (not GT) have quite short legs.

regularguy412
10-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I found that the Hincapie Power bibs (not GT) have quite short legs.

Mine are approximately 2007 models. My thighs are not exceptionally short for my height, but if the inseam on the bib short was about 2 inches longer, I could use them for knickers. As it is, I have to adjust the legs upward and they still are just above the bend in my knee. It's not a problem, but this particular model seems to have quite a long inseam.