PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh, NC riding and….

zap
10-02-2014, 03:16 PM
We are thinking about leaving metro Washington, D.C. for the Raleigh, NC area.

Moving to a new area without "insider" knowledge can be difficult. Not wanting to move twice. So, looking for recommendations for neighborhoods in the Raleigh area to explore later this year. Some place that's somewhat close to town (20-30 minute drive), nice restaurants and parks yet still be able to ride from the house. When I mean ride from the house, I mean being able to ride on quiet(er) single lane roads right away then into the countryside. Walkability is not a factor. We will want to be within a reasonable (30 maybe 45 minutes drive non rush) distance to Duke U hospital.

North Raleigh looks nice on the web but what is it really like. We are open to other towns such as Chapel Hill, etc.

rnhood
10-02-2014, 03:32 PM
North Raleigh is great with lots to offer. I live near Harvest Plaza (Strickland and Six-Forks) and entire area is very nice. Lots to offer in the way of high end strip malls, theaters, restaurants, health clubs, things to do, places to go, and biking. The neighborhoods off Strickland Rd are outstanding - and I would encourage you to be sure and look at some of these neighborhoods when you visit. The homes are typically not cheap but they are in really good areas and resale will be excellent. Our greenway system is excellent and soon it will allow 70 mile bike rides all on pavement. And in north Raleigh you're also close to great bike riding, once you pedal a few miles to the northern perimeter. Several biking clubs here and all are good. Typical group rides will involve about 10-40 riders, and we have them at all levels.

I've always liked Cary and its a very professional community. If I did not live in N. Raleigh, I would likely live in or very near Cary. It would be 2nd on my list and is worth looking at (the area, the amenities, the schools, the workplaces like RTP, etc). The biking in and around Cary is great too - especially as you get out to the south west rural roads and areas.

Raleigh is an easy town to live in, to get around, and to make friends. The social circles are very accommodating. Many people are transfers and we don't have that old guard mentality where social circles tend to exclude new comers. Its just the opposite here.

Can't give you too much info on schools but historically Harrington Grove schools have been very well thought of. Its a good area to live too, as its also in north Raleigh.

Chapel Hill is nice, and professional, but its crazy expensive, immensely congested and just a bit too far from the mainstream Raleigh area. Durham is an older tobacco town so if you thinking about living there, look at the neighborhoods very carefully. In my opinion Raleigh is the place to live.

zachateseveryth
10-02-2014, 03:41 PM
my parents have lived in Raleigh for the last decade (first in Holly Springs, now in Downtown Raleigh). It's an area characterized by a massive amount of sprawl to the point that you would have to be well outside of the city to find quiet, single lane roads to ride from without feeling like you're taking your life into your own hands. Once outside of the sprawl, you'll quickly find yourself in the middle of nowhere, things like nice restaurants and parks will be a bit of a drive. The Greenway system is pretty good though and probably the best way to bypass the urban sprawl death zone on a bike.

Somewhere near Lake Jordan might be the best option for you. The riding there is quite good.

p nut
10-02-2014, 04:04 PM
To me, it sounds like Cary/Holly Springs might be your best bet. There are some pretty nice neighborhoods, nice shopping centers, movies, golf, etc. Places around Lake Wheeler might also be worth checking out--big lots and more "country" feel (it's been a few years for me, though, so things might have changed). I grew up in Cary and loved it. I didn't ride when I was younger, so I don't know what the riding is like, but there were plenty of single-lane country roads around. I don't know about the bike lane situation, though. The last time I was there, I don't remember bike lanes or particularly wide shoulders... I'm sure some of the residents can confirm, though.

xjoex
10-02-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't live there, but I travelled there for work every week for 1 year. Great area! It would be much more laid back than DC. I even though of moving there for a while.

-Joe

dougefresh
10-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Move DOWNTOWN!

I grew up in North Raleigh, live downtown now with my wife and little boy. There is so much more culture to explore downtown, WAY better resturaunts, and a kick ass wednesday ride during DLS times. Short ride to Umstead Park and 50+ miles of singletrack if that's your thing. IMO, North Raleigh is boring in comparison. and Cary, ZZZZZZZZZ.

Chapel Hill, Carborro and downtown Durham are also rad.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

DO IT!

-dC

Ralph
10-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Wherever you choose in area, I'm a huge fan of being near a bike path or Greenway. Not to ride on necessarily, but to get you out to where you can ride safely. Also....safe for the kids to ride. And maybe you not retired yet guys sometimes ride back when it's kinda getting dark.

I know here in Central Florida.....it's urban where I live. But I can hop on the trail, go about 6 miles N, then hop on some safe roads, and ride all I want. Wife and my grandkids enjoy the same, although they most just get their miles on the trail system. I would never consider living where there wasn't a bike path or greenway nearby. Any community that doesn't see the importance of this would be marked off my list fast. We have a culture of fitness in my area based around our trail system. And the county supports this. I'm sure Raleigh does also.

SPOKE
10-02-2014, 09:11 PM
North Raleigh is great with lots to offer. I live near Harvest Plaza (Strickland and Six-Forks) and entire area is very nice. Lots to offer in the way of high end strip malls, theaters, restaurants, health clubs, things to do, places to go, and biking. The neighborhoods off Strickland Rd are outstanding - and I would encourage you to be sure and look at some of these neighborhoods when you visit. The homes are typically not cheap but they are in really good areas and resale will be excellent. Our greenway system is excellent and soon it will allow 70 mile bike rides all on pavement. And in north Raleigh you're also close to great bike riding, once you pedal a few miles to the northern perimeter. Several biking clubs here and all are good. Typical group rides will involve about 10-40 riders, and we have them at all levels.

I've always liked Cary and its a very professional community. If I did not live in N. Raleigh, I would likely live in or very near Cary. It would be 2nd on my list and is worth looking at (the area, the amenities, the schools, the workplaces like RTP, etc). The biking in and around Cary is great too - especially as you get out to the south west rural roads and areas.

Raleigh is an easy town to live in, to get around, and to make friends. The social circles are very accommodating. Many people are transfers and we don't have that old guard mentality where social circles tend to exclude new comers. Its just the opposite here.

Can't give you too much info on schools but historically Harrington Grove schools have been very well thought of. Its a good area to live too, as its also in north Raleigh.

Chapel Hill is nice, and professional, but its crazy expensive, immensely congested and just a bit too far from the mainstream Raleigh area. Durham is an older tobacco town so if you thinking about living there, look at the neighborhoods very carefully. In my opinion Raleigh is the place to live.

+1 ^
North Raleigh is really a nice area to live/work. The wedge created by hwy 70 & hwy 1 north of the I-540 outer loop offer some of the best living and riding in Wake county.

jumpjube
10-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Sent you a PM about Durham / Chapel Hill / Orange County.

Happy hunting!

rugbysecondrow
10-03-2014, 07:06 AM
My wife and I are discussing the same sort of move. My brother lives in Cary, and my parents are just a few hours away at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia.

I haven't ridden there, but it is nice. There is some sprawl, but being from the DC area like we are, it isn't anything we aren't used to (unfortunately). Cary seems homogenized to me, not bad, just formulaic. The limited time I have spent there, I like the historic Wake Forest area. I also like Durham. It seems like an area on the up swing, some character, restaurants, pubs etc.

I will be following this thread.

zap
10-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks to all for the responses. I appreciate the input from fellow cyclists-not something real estate agents or chamber of commerce members would understand.

We currently plan on heading down for a few day's in December.

jvp
10-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Raleigh is building up a great greenway system, which is not only good for riding but also good for getting you out of town safely then you can get out on the quiet rural roads. I live in Garner which is ~8 miles from downtown. Housing is somewhat less expensive here compared to cary, holly springs etc. I can ride to downtown raleigh easily or I can head 10 miles east and access the 32 mile long neuse river greenway and work parts of it into various loops back home.