PDA

View Full Version : OT: Worker's comp experiences

eippo1
10-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Anyone have any experience with Worker's Comp and trying to get a followup appointment? I had a 250# file cabinet clobber my leg last week and went to the Urgent Care Center on the night of the incident for xrays etc.

But now it's been a week later and I'm still trying to get an appointment for a followup appointment with my Ortho pending approvals, handshakes, kisses, hugs, thumbs ups and thumbs down, blah blah from the doctor's office and the insurance provider. Been trying to be the squeaky wheel, but this is getting ridiculous an I'm thinking about just making an appointment through my regular ol' HMO insurance -- or is that exactly what the insurance company is hoping I do?

My ankle is improving, but my thigh where the file cabinet hit is not improving and I'm worried I might have a hairline fracture. So I'd like to see my doc about it in case it becomes a problem.

2LeftCleats
10-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Don't have huge experience but avoid going anywhere without workman's comp blessing as, in some cases, they may deny coverage if you didn't go through proper channels. And your health insurer may refuse to cover something that should properly have gone through WC.

regularguy412
10-02-2014, 04:40 PM
In my experience,, work comp is almost more trouble than it's worth. I've been on both sides,, as the injured and as the employer. One of my employees took almost 2 years to get her surgery for RSI paid for thru the massive bureaucratic process. It took me , as the injured, about 1 year to get all the bills finally paid. This was a long time ago prior to the huge changes in the way Health Care is administered nowadays. Can't imagine that it would be any better now.

Mike in AR:beer:

dnades
10-02-2014, 04:54 PM
workers comp worked well for me when I cut the tip of my finger off. Pretty hard to deny coverage when it is that dramatic. Took a week before I could get in for surgery though. healed up well. WC insurance went up 25% after that. After 20 years of no claims. ···? I think when all you have is WC it goes much quicker as there aren't two insurance companies fighting over who has to pay what. good luck with your leg.

zmudshark
10-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Lawyer up. Really.

csm
10-02-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm going through one from the employer's perspective. Apparently it's file first, prove later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pbarry
10-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Keep on with the process/system. Sounds like you've got a hematoma in the thigh--the worst ones feel like a fracture. If it were me, and I've had a few WC claims, (including more than one incident requring sutures at Merlin-Somerville), I'd go back to the facility that did the initial evaluation and demand treatment. Bring your WC number.

Also, Do the PT and follow-up. Find a good sports doc who will loosen things up before the scar tissue sets in. If you can or must ride, go easy at high rpm's till things heal up. Ice at night, heat in the morning, etc...

josephr
10-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Lawyer up. Really.

+1 --- his/her calls will get returned. Guaranteed!

jc031699
10-03-2014, 06:03 AM
So there is a person who should be your nurse case manager on the work comp side that should be assigned to act as your advocate. I would strongly advise against getting a lawyer, as every time I have seen someone do that, it takes a difficult system and essentially renders it UNWORKABLE. Even though that is commonly the word on the street, it is an uninformed comment and bad advice. Period.

This is one of those times when being your own advocate and bugging the hell out of them is your best bet. Ask for a nurse case manager to be assigned. If you have one already, talk to them-

eippo1
10-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Looks like the squeaky wheel got some grease. All was approved and have an appointment on Monday with my Ortho.