PDA

View Full Version : TI - When Does Weight Matter?

Hard Fit
03-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Based on the bike you usually grab for first, if the three main tubes are mainly TI, at what point do you think weight differences matter in a bike? Ignore differences in whether the weight is rotational or not.

Weight matters if it’s:

e-RICHIE
03-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Based on the bike you usually grab for first, if the three main tubes are mainly TI, at what point do you think weight differences matter in a bike? Ignore differences in whether the weight is rotational or not.

Weight matters if it’s:

"Ignore differences in whether the weight is rotational or not."

how can you start a weight thread and use this as a qualifier atmo?
weight matters if you use it as an excuse.

H.Frank Beshear
03-12-2006, 08:15 PM
The weight of the engine matters much more than the weight of the bike imho. I'm faster at 205 than 225 and a bike that is 18lbs or 22lbs matters much less. If I get to 195 please disregard all previous statements. :D Btw twba cdih :banana: . Frank

Too Tall
03-13-2006, 05:53 AM
When it matters to you.

BigDaddySmooth
03-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Ullrich, Indurain and Armstrong are (were) some of the biggest lads in the peloton. They also smacked down riders in the big mountains who weigh 20+# less. Power-to-weight ratio, high VO2 max, ability to ride long periods at near max % of your lactate threshold, mental toughness and tactics matter WAAAY more than a couple-three pounds of total bike weight. But, for those of us not so well gifted, I'd say 3 pounds and 2 ounces. I have this innate ability to tell which bike is lighter when I carry it up the stairs. :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
03-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Power-to-weight ratio, high VO2 max, ability to ride long periods at near max % of your lactate threshold, mental toughness and tactics matter WAAAY more than a couple-three pounds of total bike weight.

let em hear ya in the cheap seats

Fixed
03-13-2006, 08:51 AM
bro being that i have a thing for my lugged bike the only thing it doesn't do well is when i do stomps from a stand still the chain hits the front der.on the right pedal stroke . I don't notice the 3 pounds difference from my other bike . it feels light and springy you have take the good which weighs more than the bad i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

Argos
03-13-2006, 08:57 AM
That's cause the bad is Evil, but in a good way. Your Crit bike is Evil. Evil-good.

Wow, that's like that logic problem from Star-Trek when they trick the computer.....

He tells it he is a liar, and that he is lying to it....

"Does not compute! Does not compute!!"

Excuse me, I think I forgot to take my meds.... Back later....

Sandy
03-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Take a double dose. I think that you need it. :)

Dr. Sandy

Fixed
03-13-2006, 09:04 AM
bro crit bike is good too it's got snap i.m.h.o.
springy and snap is not the same thing to me snap to me is the lack of spring i.m.h.o. if that make any sense , cheers

dave thompson
03-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I think sometimes the only lightness you can really feel is in your wallet!

William
03-14-2006, 05:30 AM
C'mon, everyone knows that a pound of Titanium is lighter then a pound of steel. And a pound of Aluminum is lighter then both of the previous two. A pound of both Aluminum and Carbon fiber are close so it's a toss up there.

So what does that mean? If you're climbing a lot, take the Aluminum or Carbon 17 pound bike with you, it's going to be lighter then the 17 pound steel or Ti rigs. If you're racing crits, you want that direct drive feel & snappiness of the Aluminum. Steel? Just use that heavy 17 pound steel bike for touring.

William :rolleyes: ;)

stevep
03-14-2006, 06:00 AM
none of it makes any difference. its all the rider and the legs, in my case i have the bikes, though...

davids
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I've tried to make sense out of the poll, and I just can't. So, I won't answer it.

Here's my experience: My Nove is noticably lighter than my Steel Axiom. And the only time it matters is when I'm hefting the bike onto my shoulder to carry it out of the basement.

I notice lots of differences between the Nove and the Steel Axiom on the road, but I wouldn't attibute a single one of them to weight.

e-RICHIE
03-14-2006, 08:32 AM
I've tried to make sense out of the poll, and I just can't. So, I won't answer it.

Here's my experience: My Nove is noticably lighter than my Steel Axiom. And the only time it matters is when I'm hefting the bike onto my shoulder to carry it out of the basement.

I notice lots of differences between the Nove and the Steel Axiom on the road, but I wouldn't attibute a single one of them to weight.

are they each identically equipped and do
both frames share mirror image geometry?
if not...

cpg
03-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Back in the day, Bicycling or Bike Guide or some other magazine did a great test where a series of riders rode their bikes up some substanial climbs and identical looking water bottles were swapped between bikes. Some of the bottles were empty and some had a 5# weight in them. Nobody could tell the difference. Interesting test. I would have guessed the difference would have been felt but what the heck do I know. I would have guessed 3# would have been the point at which it would be noticeable. People should give the test a try themselves. You might be surpised.

Curt

e-RICHIE
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
<snipped....a great test where a series of riders rode their bikes up some substanial climbs and identical looking water bottles were swapped between bikes. Some of the bottles were empty and some had a 5# weight in them. Nobody could tell the difference.<cut>Curt

wrt to this anecdote, i implied similarly in a post to another
weight issue thread a while back and responses to such a
a "test" varied greatly. in the end, it really is about rotating
weight, assuming that the frame is well constructed and the
design rational atmo.

PanTerra
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
***iatmobro

davids
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
are they each identically equipped and do
both frames share mirror image geometry?
if not...
Everything Counts in Large Amounts

http://www.musicolympus.com/depechemode/depeche-mode-band.jpg

Depeche Mode, yo

William
03-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Everything Counts in Large Amounts

http://www.musicolympus.com/depechemode/depeche-mode-band.jpg

Depeche Mode, yo

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry. Inside joke tween Mrs William and I. :rolleyes:

William ;)