PDA

View Full Version : Bent derailleur hanger - is this repairable?

yngpunk
09-30-2014, 07:54 PM
A frame I recently received appears to have not only a bent derailleur hanger, but also the drop out "gap" appears to have been squeezed so the wheel can't fit into the gap. Only a problem on the drivetrain side. If I have the derailleur hanger re-aligned, will this also take care of fitting the wheel?

Thanks

Ken Robb
09-30-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm guessing that straightening to dropout alignment will cure everything and that looks like a steel frame so it should be easy.

bart998
09-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Probably happened during shipping... should be fixable. The hanger alignment is no problem with the right tools... the axle gap is a bit trickier because you need to be careful not to crack the dropout when spreading it back open.

zmudshark
09-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Gently spread the dropout first, using a really big, flat screwdriver and a wrench flat for leverage. Then align the derailleur hanger. Should be easy.

If you are in SE MI I'll do it for you for free. I have alignment tools.

This is why you ship with dropout protectors in place.

David Kirk
09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
It is definitely fixable.

The thing to do is find a wrench handle or something similar that fits into the axle slot without a lot of slop. Then you want to take another tool (like an adjustable wrench) and use it to twist the first tool in the drop slot and this will gently pry the slot back open where it should be.

Once that is done the hanger will need to be realigned side to side with a hanger tool and you'll be all set. A good pro-shop can do this if you're not feeling it.

dave

yngpunk
09-30-2014, 09:17 PM
thanks all for the feedback and offer to help. Not something I think I want to try myself...can someone recommend a good shop in Central NJ? Near Princeton even better

denapista
10-02-2014, 02:11 PM
find a shop who has this tool... Problem solved.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc110/ourclassiccars/Cycling/P1050672.jpg

Peter P.
10-02-2014, 07:25 PM
You have to spread the dropout slot separately from aligning the derailleur hanger. I did this before-I fit a large diameter pipe over the dropout/hanger and leveraged the slot until it measured 10mm. THEN I aligned the hanger.

jmullen0401
10-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Check alignment, it looks like the hanger is bent forward not lateral. Sraightening and realigning the hanger will correct the issue. Good thing it is a steel frame. If not use a fine mill file a fine mill file. Dont try to bent the steel too much.