PDA

View Full Version : Are there any women forum members?

jmoore
09-30-2014, 03:44 PM
It seems like this place is all men. I don't recall seeing any female posters.

nooneline
09-30-2014, 03:46 PM
How can you tell?

Nags&Ducs
09-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Isn't AneidaRide a chick? ;)

palincss
09-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Moderator SC53 is a woman.

bargainguy
09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Plattyjo works to curb bike theft in the bay area, and extremely well, I might add.

vqdriver
09-30-2014, 04:23 PM
there's a handful i know of, but i'm sure there are more.

jmoore
09-30-2014, 04:51 PM

LOL.

I'll ask him to confirm his male status next time I talk to him :D

There's no particular reason I want to know. It was just a thought that occurred to me the other day. When I was on RBR, there were a few female posters but not many. The FB cycling group I'm on has more but it's still predominantly male.

texbike
09-30-2014, 04:54 PM

What? Are you looking for a date or something??? ;)

Climb01742
09-30-2014, 05:06 PM
As an aside, out on the road, I see more women triathletes than road riders. Purely a small anecdotal sample but I wonder if it's the same where you live?

1centaur
09-30-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm only a few miles from Climb but I see more female road riders than triathletes. Definitely more male triathletes over the last 3 years than before, though.

There are a few other female posters here but it's overwhelmingly male, more so than road riders I believe. I have been on a ton of cycling forums and it's the same everywhere.

zmudshark
09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Speedychix lives up to her name.

RedRider
09-30-2014, 05:45 PM

zmudshark
09-30-2014, 05:46 PM

Deleted just in time ;)

vav
09-30-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.dillpicklegear.com/store/

Dill Pickle Gear is owned and operated by me, Emily O'Brien....

Pretty sure she is a member here. Can't recall her handle though

fiamme red
09-30-2014, 08:54 PM
http://www.dillpicklegear.com/store/

Dill Pickle Gear is owned and operated by me, Emily O'Brien....

Pretty sure she is a member here. Can't recall her handle thoughColuber42 -- haven't seen her here in a while.

Anarchist
09-30-2014, 09:17 PM

I suspect this answer could be a big part of the reason there are not more women.

Dead Man
09-30-2014, 09:38 PM
There are no women forum members anywhere. Chicks don't do internet forums.

I'm a member of gun forums, climbing forums, skiing forums, splitboarding forums, and bike forums... and I'd guess the ratio is something like 100:1

Case in point: My wife has wondered what I like about internet forums for years. Finally, I said, "why don't you sign up and try it??" She just looked at me like I'd suggested she try eating dirt.

whatwolf
09-30-2014, 09:50 PM
There are no women forum members anywhere

Here to prove your generalization wrong.

witcombusa
10-01-2014, 04:41 AM
A better question would be, what do we need to do to attract and KEEP more women visiting here?

Personally, nothing worse than an all male "anything". Both sexes are better behaved with a nice mix ages and genders.

oldpotatoe
10-01-2014, 06:46 AM
isn't aneidaride a chick? ;)

funny!!!

holliscx
10-01-2014, 06:52 AM
They're wisely out riding while "we" :crap:

Ahneida Ride
10-01-2014, 08:59 AM
funny!!!

A Fugly one too !!!! ;) :)

ptourkin
10-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Read the thread about encouraging remarks to a woman rider on a climb and then wonder why they aren't around this place. If you can't find it, look for the word "misandry." Yes, that was actually thrown out there.

gemship
10-01-2014, 04:25 PM
They're wisely out riding while "we" :crap:

This may be very true. I do think men tend to geek out over the mechanical aspect/gear on bikes more so than women.

palincss
10-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Read the thread about encouraging remarks to a woman rider on a climb and then wonder why they aren't around this place.

And we're not talking about just any ordinary woman rider, either: the person in question is a well-known randonneur, famous for doing those rides on a fixed gear. I was particularly taken with her ride report of a 1200k grand randonnee in the Bavarian Alps where she ended up with over 200K of bonus miles in addition to the 1200K of the official route. So yes, I can easily understand why someone like that might get a bit irritated by some patronizing "encouraging remarks."

firerescuefin
10-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Nevermind

bluesea
10-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Here to prove your generalization wrong.

Cool pics and bikes.

Hawker
10-01-2014, 08:43 PM
A better question would be, what do we need to do to attract and KEEP more women visiting here?

Personally, nothing worse than an all male "anything". Both sexes are better behaved with a nice mix ages and genders.

Agreed. If we would all speak to and about women riders here as if they were our wives, sisters or mothers....there might be a few more.

Louis
10-01-2014, 09:30 PM
1) Given how guys sometimes behave,
2) Given how guys sometimes behave on the Interwebs,
3) Given that there aren't a whole lot of women cyclists (certainly not many where I ride)

I'm not at all surprised that we wouldn't have many women on a cycling web forum.

rounder
10-01-2014, 10:10 PM
There are girls in my club (Harford Velo) that can blow by me on any given day.

Given that, any loss to them would not be insulting.

Dead Man
10-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I've got two pages of KOMs... but there's no shortage of chicks above me on the leaderboards of the biggest climbs. Some chicks can ride.

Doesn't have that much to do with it, I don't think.... They just don't seem to do internet boards, cycling or otherwise.

gdw
10-01-2014, 10:28 PM
3) Given that there aren't a whole lot of women cyclists (certainly not many where I ride)

Boulder has quite a few female cyclists but none of the ones we know or ride with are members of this or any other cycling forum. They prefer Facebook or email to schedule rides or exchange information.

ptourkin - That definition of mansplaining that offended you so much is from the Urban Dictionary and was sent to me by a female cyclist. She is of the opinion that mansplaining is a sexist derogatory word.

SpeedyChix
10-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Speedychix lives up to her name.

Thanks!

There are a few women on the forum though not all would be apparent from their forum name.
Up late...just finished cleaning the deer from opening day bow season : )

witcombusa
10-02-2014, 04:34 AM
1) Given how guys sometimes behave,
2) Given how guys sometimes behave on the Interwebs,
I'm not at all surprised that we wouldn't have many women on a cycling web forum.

Actually I see ever increasing numbers of women cycling in New England. Both out on the local roads and at some of the bigger regional rides like D2R2, GRR, etc. This is a great trend which I hope will continue.

Germany_chris
10-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Shouldn't it be female cyclists?

you don't say men cyclists. I'm not trying to be a prig or grammer nazi it after all maybe correct it just sounds wrong. I do think more females here would balance the place out a bit. Perhaps we should have a ladies only sub-forum that might attract, and keep the women around.

witcombusa
10-02-2014, 06:17 AM

you don't say men cyclists. I'm not trying to be a prig or grammer nazi it after all maybe correct it just sounds wrong. I do think more females here would balance the place out a bit. Perhaps we should have a ladies only sub-forum that might attract, and keep the women around.

imo, that is exactly the wrong approach. this is a cycling forum, not a men's cycling forum.

ALL cyclists should be welcome and respected, period.

rugbysecondrow
10-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Actually I see ever increasing numbers of women cycling in New England. Both out on the local roads and at some of the bigger regional rides like D2R2, GRR, etc. This is a great trend which I hope will continue.

Where I live, there are tons of female cyclists. When speaking about hard core cyclists, I think there are more men then women, but as far as the recreational cyclists, I suspect there is a more even split.

There are a few female specific cycling forums, Team Estrogen is one. I like the blending we have here. There is something better about a place that has both genders. Like a going to a bar that only has dudes...that's not fun. Females add a necessary balance to places. Their balance is felt here even though we might not explicitly know the gender of the person behind the pseudonym.

Germany_chris
10-02-2014, 07:59 AM
[/B]

imo, that is exactly the wrong approach. this is a cycling forum, not a men's cycling forum.

ALL cyclists should be welcome and respected, period.

My Jeep forum has a ladies only section, I don't know if it works I'm not allowed in nor am I an admin but there seems to be more females than most other forums.

Dunno just a thought.

Hawker
10-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks!

There are a few women on the forum though not all would be apparent from their forum name.

Apparently your arrow was speedy enough to do the job. :) I started with Recurves in the old days...VERY slow in comparison with your compound.

tiretrax
10-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks!

Now, I know why I love you from afar.

bluesea
10-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Apparently your arrow was speedy enough to do the job. :) I started with Recurves in the old days...VERY slow in comparison with your compound.

She probably use a longbow.

SpeedyChix
10-03-2014, 11:58 AM
She probably use a longbow.

Crossbow for now. Working on becoming proficient with compound next.

Apologies for the thread drift.

endosch2
10-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Slowtwitch has a womans forum.