PDA

View Full Version : Bonka Jacket

jpw
09-30-2014, 09:31 AM
It's not that time of the year quite yet, but i like to be ready when the thermometer plunges.

What is the real world temperature range of the Assos Bonka jacket, and is there criticism of the pocketing arrangement?

Thanks, Jason.

p.s. is the version with the white chest panel also white on the back panel? this isn't clear to me when browsing assos website photos. thx.

Likes2ridefar
09-30-2014, 09:34 AM
they have me with the name.

sorry can't help you. I need a winter jacket this year though. My gore is finally going to be retired.

FlashUNC
09-30-2014, 09:36 AM
I decided against the Bonka because of the two zippered pockets/one open pocket arrangement. I went with the prior gen 851 instead with four gigantic rear pockets.

For the 851 at least, I'm fine with a short sleeve baselayer down to about freezing if its going to be a fairly intense ride, or a long sleeve baselayer for an easier spin.

I hear the bonka is pretty incredible.

fiamme red
09-30-2014, 09:41 AM
How do you pronounce "iJ.bonKa.6"? :rolleyes:

I know you didn't ask, but I greatly prefer the flexibility of multiple layers in the cold (especially if I need to shed them as the day warms up) to a jacket.

jr59
09-30-2014, 09:45 AM
http://foxwear.net

Do yourself a favor and call Lou @ foxwear. He makes custom stuff how you would like it, down to the temp you want, custom how you would like it.

Note; It's not the best website, but the product is outstanding and the customer service is great.

You can spend more on warm/wet gear, but it's not custom and IMO not near as nice.

jblande
09-30-2014, 09:55 AM
I actually have a White Bonka XLG in the race fit (cento) that is a tad too big for me (too long in the waist and arms), if someone is in the market. I'm thinking $200...

It's a fabulous jacket; I just need an XL Mille, I think.

gmcampy
09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
http://foxwear.net

Do yourself a favor and call Lou @ foxwear. He makes custom stuff how you would like it, down to the temp you want, custom how you would like it.

Note; It's not the best website, but the product is outstanding and the customer service is great.

You can spend more on warm/wet gear, but it's not custom and IMO not near as nice.

Just ordered a base layer from them....if this is a good as it looks I will be adding more of their layers to my winter lineup :).

jt2gt
09-30-2014, 01:49 PM
I've tried all the jackets and finally resigned myself to all I really need is the Assos 851 jacket (older one before the Bonka). Regulating baselayers takes me from 25F to 40F. I ride cold, too. The 4 pocket system of old is amazing and I am still not sure why Assos abandoned this with the Bonka...it was their signature part of the jacket. JT

Likes2ridefar
09-30-2014, 02:23 PM
I've tried all the jackets and finally resigned myself to all I really need is the Assos 851 jacket (older one before the Bonka). Regulating baselayers takes me from 25F to 40F. I ride cold, too. The 4 pocket system of old is amazing and I am still not sure why Assos abandoned this with the Bonka...it was their signature part of the jacket. JT

the 851 is a great jacket. I ride cold as well and find something that blocks wind up front but breathes everywhere else is good for pretty much any temp above freezing.

Only for below freezing temps do I wear a vapor barrier jacket I have for mountaineering. it blocks all wind and does not allow heat to escape. it's a nice security blanket but can be extremely hot if highly active and the temp goes above freezing.

is the bonka considered the 851 replacement?

FlashUNC
09-30-2014, 02:57 PM
is the bonka considered the 851 replacement?

Yes. Though the Habu can dip down into the range the 851 used to occupy as well, depending on how hot you run.

The fugujack is a whole nother beast...