PDA

View Full Version : Another internet buying scam or what?

sirroada
03-11-2006, 08:52 PM
I have my Serotta for sale on this website and several others. I made the mistake of posting my email address on road bike review (I have since posted a generic address that I have). Anyway, I recieved this email from someone who calls me "sale" when my name is posted. In addition, they want to send me a cashiers check or money order and keep asking for my address. (I won't give it to them). They have asked NO questions about the bike (I doubt they know it is a bike). I know this is a scam but I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this before and can explain to me what they are trying to pull. Can they be reported to anyone?
For those who are interested check out my bike in the classifieds (2005 54cm legend)...she's a beaut. Don't worry, I am not leaving Serotta fold...I am just going to buy a different one. :D

palincss
03-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I have my Serotta for sale on this website and several others. I made the mistake of posting my email address on road bike review (I have since posted a generic address that I have). Anyway, I recieved this email from someone who calls me "sale" when my name is posted. In addition, they want to send me a cashiers check or money order and keep asking for my address. (I won't give it to them). They have asked NO questions about the bike (I doubt they know it is a bike). I know this is a scam but I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this before and can explain to me what they are trying to pull. Can they be reported to anyone?
For those who are interested check out my bike in the classifieds (2005 54cm legend)...she's a beaut. Don't worry, I am not leaving Serotta fold...I am just going to buy a different one. :D

They'll want to send you a cashier's check for more than the asking price, and you're supposed to wire them the difference via Western Union. You do the wire transfer, and the check turns out to be bogus.

We post classified ads on my bike club's web site. One time, a person who was in search of a ride out to the club century received a reply from someone offering to pay for the ride with a cashier's check, etc.

gasman
03-11-2006, 11:15 PM
There have been several threads about this. Dave Thompson has a collection of cashier's check from various sources, I think he wallpapered one wall with them.
Someone had a hilarious exchange posted with the buyer telling him in a series of e-mails that there was more and more damage to his bike- the frame was finally in 2 pieces but the buyer still want to send a chashiers check for 10 grand or so.

Bruce K
03-12-2006, 06:27 AM
I got one of these Friday for the Santa Cruz MTB that I sold last year!

I thought about creating "a dialogue" to see how far it would go, but I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

BK

dave thompson
03-12-2006, 11:48 AM
There have been several threads about this. Dave Thompson has a collection of cashier's check from various sources, I think he wallpapered one wall with them.......<snip>.Over $77,000 and climbing!

Louis
03-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Dave,

Just think, one of those may be real! The honest person who sent it too you is probably wondering why it hasn't been deposited. I'd deposit them all just in case. You never know...

Louis

victoryfactory
03-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Dave;
Wow, that is impressive....
I thought my collection of desperate letters from the wives of
Ex Nigerian ministry officials was cool....

VF