PDA

View Full Version : Salsa Fargo 3 Upgrade Recommendations

gmcampy
09-30-2014, 07:40 AM
So I am 99% happy with the Fargo after almost a year on the road. The only thing I see as an issue "appears" to be chainline drag. Compared to my Campy/Phil equiped road bikes it feels like I could improve peddling efficiency by making a few changes.

Currently have Diaora level tripple 9 speed 11/36. Unknown BB, KMC chain. Im thinking of upgrading the BB and Chain to Phil/Campy 9.

Am I wasting my $$ or should I expect to "feel" a difference.

Thanks as always!

oldpotatoe
09-30-2014, 07:50 AM
So I am 99% happy with the Fargo after almost a year on the road. The only thing I see as an issue "appears" to be chainline drag. Compared to my Campy/Phil equiped road bikes it feels like I could improve peddling efficiency by making a few changes.

Currently have Diaora level tripple 9 speed 11/36. Unknown BB, KMC chain. Im thinking of upgrading the BB and Chain to Phil/Campy 9.

Am I wasting my $$ or should I expect to "feel" a difference.

Thanks as always!

Deore/shimano 11-36?

Drag as in BB drag? Take chain off, spin the cranks with your hand on the seat tube..how's that feel, how smooth is it? If it hardly turns/feels like the BB is full of sand, small rocks..replace. The chain won't make any difference in 'drag' as long as the thing is tuned, chain lubed, correct length, etc.

gmcampy
09-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Deore/shimano 11-36?

Drag as in BB drag? Take chain off, spin the cranks with your hand on the seat tube..how's that feel, how smooth is it? If it hardly turns/feels like the BB is full of sand, small rocks..replace. The chain won't make any difference in 'drag' as long as the thing is tuned, chain lubed, correct length, etc.

Yes Shimano 11/36 9 speed cassett with 24/34/4? tripple.

Its always felt this way.....I know on my road bike I used a KMC chain on a whim once and it felt like I was peddling thru mud...put Campy chain on and the "feeling" went away immediatly. Im sure the BB on the bike rolling fine, just wondered if changing to better quality would provide any noticable benifit.

oldpotatoe
09-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes Shimano 11/36 9 speed cassett with 24/34/4? tripple.

Its always felt this way.....I know on my road bike I used a KMC chain on a whim once and it felt like I was peddling thru mud...put Campy chain on and the "feeling" went away immediatly. Im sure the BB on the bike rolling fine, just wondered if changing to better quality would provide any noticable benifit.

Chains are cheap and consumables. IME the most flexible ones when new are shimano, CAmpagnolo and KMC. Least, sram and Wipperman Connex, the later being awful.

p nut
09-30-2014, 12:32 PM
I've never had issues running SRAM 9XX chains. Or KMC's for that matter. Is your fixing bolt on the cranks too tight? I'm assuming it's Hollowtech II.