PDA

View Full Version : campy protons good or no good ?

Fixed
03-11-2006, 06:09 PM
bro that is it i'm thinking about a set cheers

vaxn8r
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
bro that is it i'm thinking about a set cheers
I loved my first set so much I purchased a second set. Very dependable. Regular spokes and nips. Offset rear. Smooth hubs. Not ultralight but good for every day abuse. Shop around and you can usually find a good deal.

saab2000
03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Good or No Good?

Good! Neutron Lite. Maybe a few grams heavier, but probably every bit as strong and usable. I love my Nucleons and I am sure that the Protons are also very good. Same principle - Good hubs and good rims with an offset rear.

Samster
03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm a weight weenie and I just purchased my second set. I think they're just swell. I'm loading them up with an 11-21 cluster as we type...

Real weight is about 1700 grams. You can always do better (read "pay more") but you could also certainly do worse (still paying more.) Great value wheels. Only had to true them once... after an accident. The old set held up great.

Fixed
03-11-2006, 08:02 PM
bro my local shop has a pair I can get real cheap . thanks bros

chrisroph
03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I'd do it. The campy prebuilts are great. I'm with saab on my love of my nucleons. I rode 40 today on my clincher set and they are rock solid, strong and smooth.

How is the saddle?

neverraced
03-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Bring an extra set of thumbs and some cast iron tire levers.

buechse
03-11-2006, 09:49 PM

Thats true, I never had Protons but on my Electrons it really was hard to get tires on or down. But apart from this they were great. Round and round and round and not too heavy. And good looking.

Samster
03-11-2006, 10:33 PM

True but you get used to it.

bigbill
03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
True but you get used to it.

If they are foldable, tumble them in the dryer to heat them up and put them on. I have to do this with a set of spinergy xaeros. I have done it with michelins, contis, and vredes. No problems, thumbs intact.

Needs Help
03-12-2006, 02:03 AM
I carry a pneumatic jack. No problems.

Kevin
03-12-2006, 05:08 AM
I love my Nucleons. From what I have read the Protons are nearly as good.

Kevin

djg
03-12-2006, 07:58 AM

Is this really a big deal? Some tires are harder than others (which means some are easier), but you don't change tires every ride. Once in a while--depending on mileage, roads, luck, and how this is all distributed over alternative wheelsets--you push a little harder and you fuss for an extra couple of minutes and then it's done.

shinomaster
03-12-2006, 01:19 PM
When I crashed on Tuesday my bike fliped and hit pretty hard. My neutrons are true as can be. My open pro's would have needed a truing I bet.

tulli
03-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I've had mine for 3 years and have never needed to true them. They seem to spin up really fast too.

Fixed
03-12-2006, 06:11 PM
bro they got away you don't see many new goin for $250 that are shimano cheers

pjm
03-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Is this really a big deal? Some tires are harder than others (which means some are easier), but you don't change tires every ride. Once in a while--depending on mileage, roads, luck, and how this is all distributed over alternative wheelsets--you push a little harder and you fuss for an extra couple of minutes and then it's done.
By all means, yes it is. I've had tires I absolutely could not get on to my Nucleons (Michelins) and I've got big, strong hands. Vittoria Open Corsas and Vredestein Fortezzas fit Campy wheels the easiest, but when its time to fix a flat, get ready to let the expletives fly! :p :crap:

Samster
03-12-2006, 07:28 PM
By all means, yes it is. I've had tires I absolutely could not get on to my Nucleons (Michelins) and I've got big, strong hands. Vittoria Open Corsas and Vredestein Fortezzas fit Campy wheels the easiest, but when its time to fix a flat, get ready to let the expletives fly! :p :crap:

i've just finished buiding up the new set. after my ride yesterday, i decided discretion is the better part of... what? i dunno... but i've opted for an 11/23 instead of an 11/21. as i was slapping on my conti gatorskins, i snapped 2 plastic tire levers... ironically also made by conti. so, ok, some tires are an absolute pain to get onto campy rims. vredesteins are great (i have a stash of the bleu fortezzas that i'm saving --- for what?!) and so are specialized folding tires (like the all season series.) just pick your tires carefully and you'll have no problems. for now though, i'll keep the conti's on until they have to come off. they're a hassle, but i still like my (new and heavy) protons. maybe one day i will shell out for a set of eurus.

and just to back up what someone said earlier, they do spin up nicely.

saab2000
03-12-2006, 07:46 PM
My Nukes are tubies so I don't know much about the problems you guys are talking about.

But......

Here's a solution.

Get a rim and pre-stretch your tires. Install them with a tube and pump them up to full pressure. Leave them for a while and then you will have them for when you need them. They will likely be vastly easier to install when the time comes.