PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Bontrager Race Lite MTB wheelset

Robbos
09-29-2014, 09:07 PM
I've been looking to upgrade the wheelset on my Dekerf soft tail, and I've been eyeing Bontrager Race X Lite wheels, circa 2004, as they seem light and nicely build. I believe they're DT hubs branded Bontrager. Anyone have any experience with them? Its getting harder to find nice V-brake MTB wheelsets. Oh, and of you has a set, does it mention the ERD? Nice to know that I could easily replace the rims if need be!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bontrager-Race-X-Lite-Mountain-Bike-Wheel-Set-26-034-Clincher-Tubeless-V-Brake-/400536693048

pcxmbfj
09-30-2014, 03:31 AM
IMHO Bontrager wheels lost some creds when acquired by Trek but were highly regarded in the 26" world when dependability and durability were more valued than liteness.
Many of there models were DT based and you could find the "DT" on the hub somewhere to identify which.
Rims were "Mustang" or derivatives, hubs Onyx I think.
I found them to be value 29" wheels and run a couple of sets.
Like the tubeless ready (TLR?) plastic rim insert system for tubeless conversion.

TBDSeattle
09-30-2014, 09:01 AM
Race X Lite...

Before the DT hub generation Bontreger contracted Chris King for the hubs. That generation had "Bontrager by Chris King" written on the hubs. They were built onto ceramic rims, and, in my opinion, were the best 26in rim-brake mtb wheels at the time, and even today are a heck of a choice.

I had a pair that I used a couple of times a year for several years, and the braking surface never wore, and the wheels never needed truing.

I still have that pair hanging in the garage; I don't use them since my switch to disk brakes. I have been kicking around the idea of selling them as full wheels, or vs just breaking down the rims and re-building the hubs onto road wheels. Or I could just leave them hanging in the garage with other stuff :rolleyes:

If I were you I would try to find a CK set of Race X Lites.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the DT vs King versions?

gdw
09-30-2014, 09:55 AM
The wheelsets built with Kings were excellent but the versions built with first generation Hugi 240 hubs had lots of problems. The hubs were poorly sealed, bearings wore out prematurely, flanges cracked and broke, and the star ratchets didn't engage reliably. You can find reviews in the MTBR archives which have all the gory details.
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/wheelset/bontrager/race-lite/prd_353635_157crx.aspx#reviews
Check the reviews from 2000 back.

The wheelsets built with DT's updated hubs have a much better reputation.

wombatspeed
09-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Hi Robbos

I have the exact same pair you linked to. Ran them as my race wheels back when I had a 26er hardtail. Great tubeless set up. I have the later model DT swiss hubs (like the ones in your auction pics). Those are the standard (and very good) DT 240 hubs.

Haven't used mine in years. But still occasionally thinking of using the hubs to build some CX or road wheels. Judging from this thread I am not the only one in this situation!

Robbos
09-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi Robbos

I have the exact same pair you linked to. Ran them as my race wheels back when I had a 26er hardtail. Great tubeless set up. I have the later model DT swiss hubs (like the ones in your auction pics). Those are the standard (and very good) DT 240 hubs.

Haven't used mine in years. But still occasionally thinking of using the hubs to build some CX or road wheels. Judging from this thread I am not the only one in this situation!

Thanks for the feedback, that's the pair I'm looking for. Saw a pair on the web recently, guy says their designed with concave rims, which I think means that the sidewalls are worn down- I've heard the rim materials are somewhat soft-ish in this respect. Also says that one of the cups(?) is loose on the front left hub, assume he means the bearings are dead. Being a standard DT 240, should be able to find parts. But a 24 hole mtb v-brake compatible rim...

wombatspeed
10-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Hi again Robbos

I just came back from the garage and had another look at my Race X lite wheelset. It's actually in really good shape. brake tracks are perfectly flat (none of that concave business you described) and the cassette body showing minimal wear, too.

So this got me thinking that maybe it would be a shame to tear the wheels into parts just to relace the hubs into road wheels. So before I do that shoot me a PM if you are interested in the wheelset.