PDA

View Full Version : Commuter/riding pants?

stien
09-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Who here is using riding/padded jeans to ride in and wear all day? The recent for sale thread sparked my interest. I ride in 16 miles one way to work 2-3 times a week and have to change when I get there. It doesn't matter how scrubby I am at work (at all) but I can't be in Lycra. Do you wipe down after riding in, or just stew in your juices all day long?

DarkStar
09-29-2014, 06:58 PM
I sweat way, way too much to wear my commuting gear in the office, carry a change of clothing.

jr59
09-29-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm 11 miles or so, in the Fl heat. Five days a week.

I carry my stuff in panniers or a large backpack.
I use baby wipes to clean up when I get there.
I also try not to push it going in. Just a slow and steady pace. I'm going to sweat, but no need to force the issue.

martinez
09-30-2014, 02:39 AM
I used to ride in the levi's commuter jeans until I bought a few pairs of Swrve shorts. I don't have a far or difficult commute so I always ride in with shorts and then change into pants or whatever.
If you are considering pants to ride in...I highly recommend looking into Swrve stuff. The shorts are so comfortable that I wear them way more often than anything else now, but that's because I now have about 5-6 pairs in rotation!
Feel a whole lot better than the levi's stuff because it isn't denim and it moves with you.
If it's a hot day, I will usually wear at least a jersey to soak up all the sweat from my upper body, and it is also more comfortable when wearing a backpack which holds my extra stuff.

yummygooey
09-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Sometimes I wear lycra, sometimes I wear normal shorts with some athletic boxers (I'm also a big fan of Swrve stuff). I guess that's mostly dependent on what bike I ride and if I'm taking the long way home for added milez.

I sweat a lot no matter the outside temperature, but it doesn't smell... so when I get to work I just rinse off with water, deodorize up and call it good. I wear the same stuff home that I did on the ride in, but bring a full change of clothes for the work day.

brownhound
09-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Here's my response, which borders on TMI...

*I ride 8 miles one-way 2 - 3 times per week.
*What I wear on ride TO work is more important than FROM work, since I can shower and change at home. I have the benefit of a shower/locker room at work, but I didn't do anything different before that time.
*I have a few pairs of shoes that I wear during my ride that transition just fine to work - Chrome sneakers, Giro Republic, Maressi. If I wear cycling sandals, I leave a pair of shoes under my desk and simply change.
*I leave a small towel and deodorant at work.

Temperature above 75 to work: I wear some form of riding stuff, i.e., shorts, jersey, socks, and carry everything that I put on at work. I find that above 75 I will sweat through pants, shirt and shorts, even at 8 miles. I also wear cycling sandals (Keen) at this temperature.

Temperature below 55 to work: I wear pants, shoes and underwear that I wear at the office, and carry a spare shirt and socks, but wear everything else from my commute at the office. I might change shirt and socks, depending on how much I sweated during the commute. Might change, might not.

Temperature between 55 and 75: I wear pants commando, and carry underwear, socks, shirt. If I don't go commando, I sweat through the undies. I might wear riding shoes (see above) or sandals.

Basically, I find carrying pants and a belt to be a PITA, but shirt, socks are easy. In cool weather, I can put in a single pocket. I arrive, go to bathroom and wash off, put on deodorant, put on new shirt, socks, undies as necessary. I'm relatively fresh.

As far as pants go, I have Levis Commuter and Rapha. Rapha are superior and thinner, but not worth the price difference.

Catella
10-06-2015, 02:22 AM
Hey guys check out our new Catella cycling pants. We had an idea a couple of months ago to create the perfect cycling pant that would used for commuting to work or the bar. Its in final prototype stages now but wanted to give you guys a view and see what you guys think.

These have a slim jean cut but are light and extremely breathable. They are made from a 4way stretch fabric that allows easy movement on the bike. The inner face of the fabric that touches the skin is soft and meant to reduce chafing.

In addition we added some re-enforcement on the back and reflective logo for safety. Clean and simple.

Our pants are extremely comfortable and and light. They will be available on our website catella.net soon.

Let me know what you guys think!

Catella
10-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Catella Cycling pants 2016
Another view of prototype.
I wear these to work all the time. So comfortable! Has a bit of stretch and lots of breathability. Almost look like formal workwear.

cinema
10-19-2015, 10:59 AM
they look good do they come in black?

i have swrve jeans and shorts, both good options.

tuscanyswe
10-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Ive been a fan of rapha "casual" wear for some time. Have a few touring trousers that i really like but those are not available this season. They however have these that i bought just last week. Must say they may be even comfier than the touring trousers and you could likely wear them at work as well if so inclined.

http://www.rapha.cc/se/en/shop/loopback-trousers/product/CRT01

After about 30 hours of rinding in these Im a fan :)

DRZRM
10-19-2015, 11:34 AM
I have a quick commute, 6 miles round trip, and mostly downhill to campus, so I don't sweat much. I have a few pairs of Rapha jeans, some of the Mavic commuter trousers (dark blue and chinos), and a few pairs of Levi's. Depending on the heat, I'll wear those and keep them on all day, or wear shorts and change at the office. I always wear a t-shirt and change into a dress shirt when I get in.

As for underwear, I like the wool Icebreaker and Rapha, as they dry quickly and don't feel funky.

Formulasaab
10-19-2015, 12:14 PM
I wear these to work all the time. So comfortable! Has a bit of stretch and lots of breathability. Almost look like formal workwear.

I don't care for the slim cut look. I'm a straight leg guy. But there's a practical reason why it might not be the best choice for a cycling pant... Cyclist legs.

Cyclist legs must be more muscular than those of the guys and gals who are paid to model pants, on the whole. I base this conclusion on the few pairs of pants my wife put in the "try these on" pile the last time I was shopping for pants.

wvaneaton
10-19-2015, 07:07 PM
I just got a pair of the Giro Mobility Trouser, and to be honest, I think they're just so-so. I think I like them more than the Levi commuter, but only a little. My ride is only 5.5 miles in temperate San Francisco.

ajhapps
10-20-2015, 01:14 AM
I just got a pair of the Giro Mobility Trouser, and to be honest, I think they're just so-so. I think I like them more than the Levi commuter, but only a little. My ride is only 5.5 miles in temperate San Francisco.

You know it's time to step it up to Rapha now, right? New bike and all.

jzisk
10-20-2015, 04:58 AM
I commute to a school where I have to look vaguely presentable. I stash a closet full of underwear, pants, shirts, socks and a few "teacher shoes", and then shake the bib and jersey, and splash my face. I ride at a decent 18-21mph pace for 14 miles, and I sweat. Been at it for years, and nobody bats an eyelash (or turns up their noses). I'd have a harder time commuting in pants. And even more difficulty working 8 hrs in the sweaty togs.

Catella
10-22-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't care for the slim cut look. I'm a straight leg guy. But there's a practical reason why it might not be the best choice for a cycling pant... Cyclist legs.

Cyclist legs must be more muscular than those of the guys and gals who are paid to model pants, on the whole. I base this conclusion on the few pairs of pants my wife put in the "try these on" pile the last time I was shopping for pants.

Nick is a buddy of mine. He definitely has cycling legs from racing.

These pants have been patterned very carefully to give you enough room with a 4way stretch technical fabric so they look slim and modern. Think Levis 501 Jean cut with stretch and breathability.

Great for riding, travel, and use around town.

Wrinkle and stain resistant they look and function great!

Will come in several colors soon.

brownhound
10-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Hey guys check out our new Catella cycling pants.

Come back when these are available for sale. Even better if you'll be selling samples. I'll forget if it's more than a week.

Catella
10-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Come back when these are available for sale. Even better if you'll be selling samples. I'll forget if it's more than a week.

No worries will update you guys. Its just a great forum and opportunity to get feedback from a large community riding in different climates from my own.

Thanks!

akmonkey
10-22-2015, 11:16 PM
I recently bought a pair of Club Ride jeans on sale and was so impressed I bought two different CR styles at full price. They're not inexpensive, but seem like good value given the quality and thoughtfulness of design. I've not had them long enough to give any more of review, and my commute is less than 2 miles, but they are worth checking out, IMO.

CSTRider
10-23-2015, 09:12 PM

I like the location of the rear pockets in your first post, but they seem to be positioned too low on the model in this picture for my taste. I'd also suggest a zipper to eliminate the possibility of losing a wallet, money, keys, etc. The fabric looks really high quality - is it Schoeller? Would also be great if you had a ballpark msrp - thanks!

Catella
10-26-2015, 12:51 AM
I like the location of the rear pockets in your first post, but they seem to be positioned too low on the model in this picture for my taste. I'd also suggest a zipper to eliminate the possibility of losing a wallet, money, keys, etc. The fabric looks really high quality - is it Schoeller? Would also be great if you had a ballpark msrp - thanks!

Good eye. The first prototype was shown with pockets in correct position. The new prototype will need to be adjusted. Its a different size construction and the grading from one size to the next sometimes needs to be adjusted.

They will retail for about 110.00 but will not know until we finalize costing. May be less.