PDA

View Full Version : Is it me? Speedplay Zeros

jmeloy
09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Gang, got two sets of the above with the idea of moving the fleet from Time iClic2's. I'm a couple of hundred miles in on one set and just not loving them. One feels as if it is not dual sided and clipping in just not really improving. Thinking that I like the bigger platform on the Times and a really clean engagement. I have not dosed the cleats with the dry film but just picked some up.

Comments before I drop back and punt them downfield?

kramnnim
09-29-2014, 02:25 PM
The engagement problems do not sound familiar to me...maybe the lube will help. The platform does seem a bit small. But normally the cleats snap on crisply.

shovelhd
09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
They tend to be very stiff at first and take a few rides to break in. Definitely use the Speedplay lube. Also make sure the adapter plate and top plate aren't overtightened. They should be hand tight only and not monkey tight. Too much torque bends the plates and makes engaging difficult.

thegunner
09-29-2014, 02:53 PM
the clip mechanism wears after a bit, making it easier to clip in and out, you can try keeping the shoes clipped in overnight.

mgm777
09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
^This. Shovelhd is right on the mark. I've been riding Zeros for 11+ years without any problems. Key is to get them setup properly and there is a bit of a break-in period with new cleats.

Lovetoclimb
09-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I find dirt and debris can really make clipping in difficult, but when the cleats and pedal bodies are clean and lubed (especially with speedplay lube) they work like a charm. However I am beginning to notice my cleats are so worn that they can rock (roll along the x axis?) side to side if my pedal stroke is not clean. Very noticeable when climbing. The cleats are very worn though, somewhere north of 2000 miles I wager.

Saint Vitus
09-29-2014, 03:38 PM
I almost gave up at first as well, there is a learning curve as well as an initial break-in period that makes them difficult at first. I kept with them though and the sole of my right shoe behind the cleat bears silent witness to my efforts. I feel comfortable attaching in and out now, as much as my previous system.

buldogge
09-29-2014, 03:39 PM
J...You should probably just send them to me...

-Mark in St. Louis

zzy
09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Zeros are VERY stiff when they're new. That's why SP released a Light Action version. Check you didn't torque the 4 bolts too tightly - it can impede the c spring in the cleats. A lower torque with some locktite works best.

Cicli
09-29-2014, 05:06 PM
I came off Shimanos to Speedplay. Rode for about two months or about 1500 miles.
Tried my Shimanos again to see why I didnt like the Speedplays. I never went back to speedplay. I did not like them. Not even a little bit.
Sorry.

BLD 25
09-29-2014, 05:45 PM
I have zeros and shimano on the other bike. I like shimano better, but the speed plays are getting a little better

Highpowernut
09-29-2014, 05:50 PM
They do break in and the lube does help,
I'll lube them about every two weeks and no prob .
Good news there is alway a market to sell them, I guess I'm second in line.:-)

oldpotatoe
09-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Gang, got two sets of the above with the idea of moving the fleet from Time iClic2's. I'm a couple of hundred miles in on one set and just not loving them. One feels as if it is not dual sided and clipping in just not really improving. Thinking that I like the bigger platform on the Times and a really clean engagement. I have not dosed the cleats with the dry film but just picked some up.

Comments before I drop back and punt them downfield?

The cleat must be flat. Starting with the 3 bolt first plate, use the various wedges to ensure the First plate follows the arc of the shoe sole. That plus lube.

Came from Look to Profit to SP Zero. Have had zero for a decade, very happy with them but with pedals, YMMV.

jc031699
09-29-2014, 06:14 PM
The instructions make a BIG deal about relying on the threadlock and two notches of the screw (two clicks when tightening) so that the cleats are not tightened so far that the cleats bind. Know what I'm sayin?

jmeloy
09-29-2014, 08:08 PM
The instructions make a BIG deal about relying on the threadlock and two notches of the screw (two clicks when tightening) so that the cleats are not tightened so far that the cleats bind. Know what I'm sayin?

Thanks gang and I resisted the temptation to over tighten and just get the two clicks as noted above.

I'll lube em and try some more, otherwise Mark is first in line😊.

r_mutt
09-29-2014, 11:22 PM
they are difficult at first. after a proper break in they are the easiest pedal to engage by a large margin. after a handful of rides, you will never have to look down, and you never, ever, fumble a click in. it's that easy.

fwiw, i ride Look pedals but i miss the easy engagement of SP zeros.

dgauthier
09-29-2014, 11:31 PM
(. . .) Thinking that I like the bigger platform on the Times and a really clean engagement. (. . .)

Why the whole world does not ride Time pedals is beyond me. Low stack height (remember having to lower your seat when you first tried them?) and a huge, stable platform makes for a lot to like.

Speedplay pedals are very popular, but they're not for everyone. Some folks complain of hot spots (the platform is really not that big), and others don't like the ice-skating sensation of the resistance-free float (though that's supposed to be controllable on the Zeros).

Your choice of pedal is ultimately going to be as personal as your choice of saddle. We are all little snowflakes . . .

oldpotatoe
09-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Why the whole world does not ride Time pedals is beyond me. Low stack height (remember having to lower your seat when you first tried them?) and a huge, stable platform makes for a lot to like.

Speedplay pedals are very popular, but they're not for everyone. Some folks complain of hot spots (the platform is really not that big), and others don't like the ice-skating sensation of the resistance-free float (though that's supposed to be controllable on the Zeros).

Your choice of pedal is ultimately going to be as personal as your choice of saddle. We are all little snowflakes . . .

Neither are Time.

Yup..put 3 people in a room and ask about pedals, get 4 opinions.

oldguy00
09-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Neither are Time.

Yup..put 3 people in a room and ask about pedals, get 4 opinions.

Beat me to it.

I've been on Speedplays for about 10 years now. Along the way I've tried Look Keo's, Shimano, and the newer Time offerings. I always end up back at Speedplay. The platform feels just fine for me, and I like the 'free' float. I stress 'free' because that is what I didn't like about the other pedal systems, the float, while available, did not feel as slick/free.

LJohnny
09-30-2014, 07:12 AM
I switched away from speedplay. The issue I had was hot spot after around 50 miles. Do not have this issue with the keo-like pedals.

El Chaba
09-30-2014, 07:22 AM

I like Time pedals as well and have used them since the original "Racing" pedal that I bought as a replacement for an original pair of Looks....I have to say, though, that each successive generation of re-designed Time pedals has lost function from the previous generation...except for weight....

oldpotatoe
09-30-2014, 07:26 AM
I like Time pedals as well and have used them since the original "Racing" pedal that I bought as a replacement for an original pair of Looks....I have to say, though, that each successive generation of re-designed Time pedals has lost function from the previous generation...except for weight....

Particularly when they break, are recalled or quickly redesigned.

I didn't like the left-right float nor the center of float nor the ease of disengagement. Outside guy gave us a few pair to try. Liked Lok/shimano better but didn't really like them either. Zeros work for me, have for about a decade.

Lewis Moon
09-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Been riding Speedplays exclusively since the solid aluminum lollipop days (20 years?). I can't ride any other pedal on a road bike.

Level and lubed.

fuzzalow
09-30-2014, 08:55 AM
New and Improved! is not always new and improved. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Time kinda knows this too as this pedal is still available.
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360015199/time-rxs-carbon-pedal.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
Dunno about Speedplay. Something sounds outta place when SOP includes keeping the pedal cleat lubed. Well if Speedplay is good enough for Fabian it's good enough for anybody.

Mark McM
09-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Dunno about Speedplay. Something sounds outta place when SOP includes keeping the pedal cleat lubed. Well if Speedplay is good enough for Fabian it's good enough for anybody.

Not so outta place - just like for any other mechanism, SOP is to keep the moving parts lubed. Unlike with most other pedals, the engagement mechanism is built into the cleat, rather than the pedal - this allows a two sided pedal with a single engagement mechanism.

El Chaba
09-30-2014, 09:21 AM
New and Improved! is not always new and improved. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Time kinda knows this too as this pedal is still available.
http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-media/5360015199/time-rxs-carbon-pedal.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Exactly. Apparently, quite a few Time users declined to upgrade to the latest ICLIC/Xpresso pedals. I am thankful to Time for keeping their best model available as it has saved me the trouble and expense of hoarding. I love the RXS series....I love the previous Impact series a little more with the nod to durability, but they are both pretty superb.

Likes2ridefar
09-30-2014, 09:26 AM
the best thing i ever did for my bike riding was stop using speedplay pedals.

no more: cleats that are terrible for walking unless covered, lube issues, consistently bad bearings, expensive cleats with tons of screws and adapters, tiny platform, sensitive installation and silly screws that strip when attemping to adjust float...

i get those that need float with minimal resistance, but for the rest...:no:!

thirdgenbird
09-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Been riding Speedplays exclusively since the solid aluminum lollipop days (20 years?). I can't ride any other pedal on a road bike.

Level and lubed.

Is there any downside to the solid aluminum ones? Seems like you can get them cheap. Do they use the same cleats?

I've always wanted to try these. On paper they sound nice.

Not so outta place - just like for any other mechanism, SOP is to keep the moving parts lubed. Unlike with most other pedals, the engagement mechanism is built into the cleat, rather than the pedal - this allows a two sided pedal with a single engagement mechanism.

I am a look user so I could be wrong, but it sounds like the main difference is how often they need lubricated. With speedplay pedals, you probably subject the mechanism to a lot more dirt, dust and water because you walk on them. Probably worth it for those that like the feel of Speedplays, but they sure do seem to need more attention.

Look style pedals are such a large target, I don't think there would be any benefit to them being double sided. I'm sure they will be fine for their specified use, but it will be interesting to hear feedback on the new single sided Speedplays.

Wakatel_Luum
09-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I used Speedplay for years and then went back to Time's...what a revelation! No more lubing cleats, no more hot spots, no more lack of stability and no more knee problems... ;)

oldguy00
09-30-2014, 10:20 AM
the best thing i ever did for my bike riding was stop using speedplay pedals.

no more: cleats that are terrible for walking unless covered, lube issues, consistently bad bearings, expensive cleats with tons of screws and adapters, tiny platform, sensitive installation and silly screws that strip when attemping to adjust float...

i get those that need float with minimal resistance, but for the rest...:no:!

Well, to each their own. I've been using for 10+ years, and I've never stripped any of the screws. I have them on multiple pair of shoes, for multiple bikes. I add lubrication (grease) via injector to the pedals once a year, takes me 5 minutes.
As for walking in them.....I currently compete in triathlons all Summer, which involves running on my cleats through transition zones, which are usually parking lots, sometimes dirt/gravel parking lots. I've never had them clog on me. In fact, the outer metal plate is pretty darn good for running on.

Anyone remember the days of spraying armor all on the red look cleats to keep them from squeaking on every ride??? :)

mcteague
09-30-2014, 10:56 AM

Loved my RXSs until this happened on two pairs. Still riding Time, Xpressos, but like the RXS better, except for not trusting them to stay in one piece. Appears the newer RXS has a bit more material where mine broke.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=72237&stc=1&d=1279978442

Tim

nublar
09-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Using the keep-on covers along with new cleats resolves many of the issues with speedplays

Likes2ridefar
09-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Using the keep-on covers along with new cleats resolves many of the issues with speedplays

using different pedals that don't require covers solves it completely.

El Chaba
09-30-2014, 01:19 PM
using different pedals that don't require covers solves it completely.

HAHAHA....THAT was funny.....

Likes2ridefar
09-30-2014, 01:34 PM
HAHAHA....THAT was funny.....

Why?

Duende
09-30-2014, 01:38 PM
I think people can get a good sense right off the bat if a pedal is gonna work out or not. Even if there's a glimmer of promise, then it's probably worth going the extra effort to try an dial them in.

Went through a bunch of pedals, and frankly all of them were pretty good or at least not horrible. But the functionality (dual sided entry) of the speedplays really just did it for me.

It wasn't until I got both the Keep on Kovers and the extender plates that I was 100% satisfied.

Just took time to get it right.

Likes2ridefar
09-30-2014, 01:41 PM
I think people can get a good sense right off the bat if a pedal is gonna work out or not. Even if there's a glimmer of promise, then it's probably worth going the extra effort to try an dial them in.

Went through a bunch of pedals, and frankly all of them were pretty good or at least not horrible. But the functionality (dual sided entry) of the speedplays really just did it for me.

It wasn't until I got both the Keep on Kovers and the extender plates that I was 100% satisfied.

Just took time to get it right.

the extender plates made a huge difference for me. I set them back nearly as far as they could go.