PDA

View Full Version : Drying out a chamois from residual chamois cream

MattTuck
09-29-2014, 01:03 PM
I've been using Aquaphor as a chamois cream since it was recommended to me by a dermatologist this summer.

I'm noticing now though, that even once my bibs are dry, there is still a wetness in the chamois, which I believe is residual aquaphor.

I hang dry all my bibs.

Options seem to be:
A.) Start drying them to drive out the moisture.
B.) Find a new detergent that is able to get them clean (I use All Free and Clear, also recommended by derm)
C.) Find a new chamois cream (helps with the future, but not the aquaphor stuck in my bibs currently)

What do you folks think/recommend?

EDS
09-29-2014, 01:19 PM
I've been using Aquaphor as a chamois cream since it was recommended to me by a dermatologist this summer.

I'm noticing now though, that even once my bibs are dry, there is still a wetness in the chamois, which I believe is residual aquaphor.

I hang dry all my bibs.

Options seem to be:
A.) Start drying them to drive out the moisture.
B.) Find a new detergent that is able to get them clean (I use All Free and Clear, also recommended by derm)
C.) Find a new chamois cream (helps with the future, but not the aquaphor stuck in my bibs currently)

What do you folks think/recommend?

Don't use aquaphor on your chamois if you want it to last.

josephr
09-29-2014, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't throw them in the dryer -- might try a little Oxi-Clean or baking soda to help break-up the leftover Aquaphor....also, try hand washing with the above to get it out. Or, get used to riding without a chamois cream...
Joe

eddief
09-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Handwash with Dr Bonners way diluted and with added salt and baking soda. Wring em good, hang em, still takes a while for the padded faux chamois to dry. This is on Voler Jet shorts. Haven't had crotch-ito in quite some time.

----------

Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap claims 18 cleaning uses in one bottle. One of those is laundry soap. Want to know how to make your own using only a cup of Dr. Bronner's per 64 loads? Check it out:

This makes a full gallon of laundry soap, which will last 64 loads. Here's what you need:

DR. BRONNER'S HOMEMADE LAUNDRY SOAP
•1 cup Dr. Bronner's pure castile liquid soap
•1 cup baking soda
•2 cups water
•1/3 cup salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Warm the water and mix with salt and baking soda until dissolved. Pour into a one-gallon container. Add the Dr. Bronner's and fill the remainder of the gallon jar with water. Use 1/4 cup of laundry soap per load.

This laundry soap doesn't create suds, but it doesn't need to in order to get your laundry clean.

scooter
09-29-2014, 04:51 PM
It's the residual petrolatum (petroleum jelly or vaseline). As an oil-based substance, it's not very water soluble.

A comprehensive laundering procedure might include the following steps:

(1) Wet the stain with isopropyl alcohol and blot the area with a clean white absorbent pad. You will notice the rubbing alcohol breaking down the oil in petroleum jelly. Continue this process until no more residue is visible.
(2) Mix a solution of one tablespoon dish washing liquid (like Dawn) to one cup warm water, and apply to the stain with a spray bottle. Blot the stain with paper towel to lift the remaining petroleum jelly.
(3)If the stain persists, spray the area with hydrogen peroxide, and allow to dry. This will break the stain up even further.
(4)Use a presoak treatment on the garment, and allow to stand at least 15 minutes, then launder per care label instructions. If the fabric can tolerate it, use a higher water temperature.