PDA

View Full Version : Unintended cyclocross this weekend

jmoore
09-29-2014, 09:57 AM
I rode the BDB rally in Little Rock this weekend. Near the end there was a descent down the Big Damn Bridge that transitioned to a MUT. On the MUT, there was a S-bend turn that put you back onto a road. I made the first big loop through the S and turned right, but not enough. I had overcooked the turn and was heading off trail. I was surprised that the drop off was 8" and I landed hard on my front wheel but managed to stay upright and ride back to the trail through the sandy underbrush. When my wheel hit, I heard a nasty pop/crack sound. It sounded like plastic cracking. The only thing on my bike that is carbon is the Enve fork and it's steerer tube. I rode along for a bit and everything was still solid and holding true. So I rode it into the finish with no problems.

Yesterday morning I did a 25 mile easy ride with no issues. Three of us checked the front end of the bike and saw no cracks or issues. Everything still super solid.

I am going to have the LBS check it out just to make sure. I think it's OK but that sounds still haunts me. I have visions of spontaneous explosions of the fork. yikes.

seanile
09-29-2014, 10:01 AM
that would be your handlebars slipping in the clamp. happens to me when i curb hop occasionally. terrifying sound when it happens, but non-consequential.

BLD 25
09-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Wow, could have been worse!

jmoore
09-29-2014, 11:16 AM
that would be your handlebars slipping in the clamp. happens to me when i curb hop occasionally. terrifying sound when it happens, but non-consequential.

Interesting. The bars (I think) are in the same position, but I'll check them.

And I definitely had visions of barreling off a road and down a mountainside when I knew I wasn't going to make it around that turn.

eippo1
09-29-2014, 11:47 AM

I'll echo that statement. This is what it has been for me in similar situations.