PDA

View Full Version : CX poll: glue or glue+tape

sparky33
09-29-2014, 09:15 AM
For cyclocross tubulars, do you glue or glue+tape?

I'm relatively new to cx tubs and had to I replace a tire that was glue+taped. What a royal pain to remove and clean-up!!! I curse that tape.
I'm thinking I could get away with a cross specific rim like a Major Tom and a few layers of glue - no tape. I'm not huge, and I'm racing a just few times a season.
From what I can tell adding tape is really just for building up a rim bed that is not ideally shaped for a wide tubular. Am I crazy?

BSUdude
09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
I use glue only. Have yet to roll a tire in 3 years. Probably will this weekend after saying this.

illuminaught
09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
I just use glue. Three dry layers on both rim and base tape... Then one wet bonding layer when mounting.

bcroslin
09-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Glue but if you really don't want your tires to come off use tape as well.

Don't do what I've seen a few people do and just use the tape. I have no idea where that idea came from but boy does it not work.

nooneline
09-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Glue only. If it's good enough for Stybar...

crankles
09-29-2014, 10:42 AM
CX... Glue + tape.

trust me, if you ride aggressively and run sub 30 psi at times, tape is your friend.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2014, 12:31 PM
I just use glue. Three dry layers on both rim and base tape... Then one wet bonding layer when mounting.

Glue only just like above.

FGC
09-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Glue only. I regularly run below 30psi and haven't rolled a tire.

PoppaWheelie
09-29-2014, 02:04 PM
I just glue. But my go-to OCD oxygen-depraved mid-race distraction is always focused on rolling a tire. I may go back to tape just to take that off the menu.

brando
09-29-2014, 02:49 PM
glue + tape and I do it myself. Let a shop glue once and rolled on the first ride. Never again!

Brian Cdn
09-29-2014, 04:25 PM

Before there was tape, there was ... Glue
Ditto on the above.. it works !

Dr Luxurious
09-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Before there was tape, there was ... Glue
Ditto on the above.. it works !

yep. glue only.
usually 3m fast tack. been using it for road, track, cross, wheelchairs, shoes, floorwax, dessert topping for 20+ years for my stuff and at the shop. had wheels in TdF, Olympics, US & Can national champs, track worlds, pro kerin in Japan, cross natz, 100s of CX races, blah, blah... no problems. it's so good it's now illegal in kalifornia.

EDIT - BUT THINK TWICE ABOUT USING IT WITH CONTIS!! it seems to make conti base tape de-lam more quickly.
(thanks to jc031699 for reminding me.)

crankles
09-29-2014, 06:00 PM
It's true, glue works. However, I've seen more f-up glue jobs than f-up'ed tape jobs ( although folks manage that too).

I can also tape em friday night race and race em saturday morning.
Takes me a several days to do a proper glue only job.

gavingould
09-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Glue only. I'm a fat guy too... Two 20mph washouts yesterday did nothing to the glue job. My knee and ribs, that's another story.

BSUdude
09-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I might add that I was ripping on 21.5 and 22.5 psi yesterday on my tubulars which I glued (last year!) on the same course as gavingould. No tape required. I wouldn't trust a shop to glue my tubulars unless I knew that they knew the type of riding I was doing. My LBS does mostly campus bike repairs. No way would I let them glue tubies for me. Do it yourself. Then you know how its done. If you F it up, you only have yourself to blame and you can learn from your mistakes. Plenty of info here and other places online to learn how to glue yourself.

ChrisG
09-29-2014, 07:01 PM
One way or the other, it's really about the thought that goes into the job.

A proper job with glue-only was plenty good for a long time before tape arrived.

zacstanley
10-07-2014, 09:25 PM
+1 for Tape and Glue