PDA

View Full Version : He's back

sjbraun
09-28-2014, 09:58 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ligerowheelworks

I wonder how long before this incarnation implodes.

thirdgenbird
09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
He is a member here

likebikes
09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Can someone fill me in on the backstory? Seems like there's some stuff I'm missing here.

false_Aest
09-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Ok,

I'll call it.

What the eff is the reason for your post? You got beef with him, take it up directly. You've heard the rumors? Great! So has everyone.

Passive aggressive posting like that doesn't do anything for you, for others or for him.

And, for what its worth, I've got no stake in anything other than I sent Troy an email once and it wasn't returned.

JAGI410
09-28-2014, 10:50 PM
I have a deal pending with him currently. Communication has been fine.

fuzzalow
09-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Because this forum has no issues with the free exchange of opinions, I will differ with the post #4 above.

Last episode of the soap opera, Mr Ligero had unfinished business with clients. If those issues have been resolved to the fair and equitable termination of that outstanding business to all involved, then Mr. Ligero has every right reemerge and to be evaluated with a clean slate going forwards. If this is not the case, IMO he needs to redress these concerns before going forwards. Unless everyone with a prior business claim says its OK for him to have a mulligan.

Heck, he has every right just to do what he wants anyway. That doesn't mean people won't talk and perhaps offer caveat emptor as consideration. Capish?

Louis
09-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Threads like this rarely end well.

false_Aest
09-28-2014, 11:00 PM
offer caveat emptor as consideration. Capish?

Brah,

That wasn't offered. The OP isn't a buyer beware its a BS form of mongering.

So let's start over. There's lingering issues... put em down for people to read ... or let them be searchable but passive aggressive threadmaking is BS.

........ and I'm over the thread.

herb5998
09-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Still waiting for about 2200 dollars from Troy on a deal he backed out of, that was in 2010, haven't seen a dime. Needless to say, I'm not expecting any change to the current situation. Due diligence to any potential customers.

sjbraun
09-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Brah,

That wasn't offered. The OP isn't a buyer beware its a BS form of mongering.

So let's start over. There's lingering issues... put em down for people to read ... or let them be searchable but passive aggressive threadmaking is BS.

........ and I'm over the thread.

Thanks for explaining my intentions so clearly. I'd have never known what I was doing if you hadn't so kindly and expertly gleaned my intentions.

Ligero has plenty of history, not all of it positive. I find it kind of amusing that after multiple issues, he's coming back for more. Anyone who is interested can easily search this forum or several others for the back stories, so there's no need for me to.

I'm really not sure what caused your outburst, but I'll call it as I see it, BS.

PS- I had a great ride on half a set of Ligero wheels this weekend, only half a set because when a flange on the rear hub broke, Ligero disappeared after promising me a replacement hub. Now he's back and I'm still out the $$ I paid to replace his defective hub.

christian
09-28-2014, 11:24 PM
You've heard the rumors? Great! So has everyone.I think you overestimate the influence of the echo chamber. Just because frequent posters here and on the salon know every detail, you can't assume others do. I think threads like this frankly, are a PSA. Before sending Ligero any money, I'd advise anyone to do a bit of searching. I've no beef with the guy - he's never built anything for me - but there's clearly a history of non-performance.

Ligero
09-29-2014, 01:31 AM
I am aware that I have both a great and terrible reputation. I built a lot of wheels, thousands of pairs, and did it all as a one man operation. A lot of times I was very overwhelming and I let things slip through the cracks and I have nobody to blame that on except myself. I really hate that I did treat some customers badly and that they have a bad outlook on me now. I have had bad dealing with businesses, one recently with a frame builder, so I know how it feels.

The reason I am coming back is because I will not be doing it alone this time. There will be 4 people involved in the business, not just me. Another big reason I am coming back is because I love bikes and bike wheels! I have tried going to work in other industries but it just isn't the same. I think about bikes, bike parts and wheels all the time and mostly how they can be made better. I would like to see those ideas become a reality and I have others that believe in me to support that.

PS- I had a great ride on half a set of Ligero wheels this weekend, only half a set because when a flange on the rear hub broke, Ligero disappeared after promising me a replacement hub. Now he's back and I'm still out the $$ I paid to replace his defective hub.

How did I disappear when you know exactly where I am and last time I saw you in person you were very polite and cordial to me talking about new bike builds and other things?

I agreed to replace your hub with a King because it was going to be an unknown time before I would be getting more of my hubs made. At that time the King R45 Campy hubs had just been released and where very hard to get and we were waiting for your silver Campy R45 hub to come in. When FWB and I parted ways your replacement rear hub was one of the things I told them needed to be taken care of and they told me that you would be taken care of and not to worry about it. I was not aware that you were charged for that replacement rear hub and will reimburse you for it if you would like.

Still waiting for about 2200 dollars from Troy on a deal he backed out of, that was in 2010, haven't seen a dime. Needless to say, I'm not expecting any change to the current situation. Due diligence to any potential customers.

Please send me a PM with your contact info so that I can get this taken care of. I am not trying to rip anyone off.

And, for what its worth, I've got no stake in anything other than I sent Troy an email once and it wasn't returned.

I did reply, you replied back and I believe we actually had a short conversation on the phone one evening, something about you doing clinical trials. I could be wrong and if so, I am sorry for not replying.

BumbleBeeDave
09-29-2014, 06:07 AM
. . . is that it's possible to air things like this from both sides and hopefully correct misunderstandings in a civil manner. Could we please keep it on that plane in this thread?

Thanks.

I've never done business with Ligero, but I can certainly identify with the feeling that you can't keep up with everything and things have slipped through the cracks. I can also identify with the frustration if I've bought something and it hasn't been delivered or refunded.

This could turn out to be a bad thread--or it could turn out to be a valuable thread for both sides. Just please address the issues at hand and don't go all ad hominem on us . . .

Again, thanks.

BBD

oldpotatoe
09-29-2014, 06:21 AM
https://www.facebook.com/ligerowheelworks

I wonder how long before this incarnation implodes.

He actually uses a TS-3? On FB, picture..reading this is kinda like sitting down on Sunday night for the 'next episode' of Peyton Place..I have no knowledge of anything save the few posts on this thread.

He's a wheelbuilder, how bad can it be??

sjbraun
09-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Troy,

Thanks for responding. I'll send you my contact info and a copy of the receipt from Fairwheel via PM.

Taking this offline

-Steve

seanile
09-29-2014, 10:15 PM
so far, i've seen a much better attempt at proper atonement and making-whole than the recent t.p. snafu.. so, cheers to that troy, keep it up, and try not to allow yourself and your team to become 'overwhelmed' again. good luck.

Uncle Jam's Army
09-29-2014, 10:52 PM
The reputation is well earned. The only way Troy can atone for this is by showing each and every, past, present, and future customer that he is willing and able to make right any problems with his wheels or fulfillment of his contractual obligations. And I wish him well in doing so.

soulspinner
09-30-2014, 06:28 AM
He actually uses a TS-3? On FB, picture..reading this is kinda like sitting down on Sunday night for the 'next episode' of Peyton Place..I have no knowledge of anything save the few posts on this thread.

He's a wheelbuilder, how bad can it be??

Am I old or what? I actually know what Peyton Place is, and it has nothing to do with the Broncos!

oldpotatoe
09-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Am I old or what? I actually know what Peyton Place is, and it has nothing to do with the Broncos!

Yup, you(and I) are old..

"Getting old ain't for sissies"-Betty Davis

"Time is the fire in which we all burn"-Paul Newman

LegendRider
09-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Yup, you(and I) are old..

"Getting old ain't for sissies"-Betty Davis

"Time is the fire in which we all burn"-Paul Newman

"Youth is wasted on the young." -- multiple attributions

sjbraun
09-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Troy reached out to me last night. He offered an explanation for the issues raised in my previous post. And, he fully reimbursed me for the costs I incurred replacing a wheel built with a defective Ligero hub. (I don't know of any hub manufacturer who hasn't had a flange break, so please don't think that my mentioning this is in any way meant to impugn Troy's design or wheel building skills.)

Troy has built two wheelsets for me and except for the flange issue, both have been excellent performers. Troy is an excellent wheel builder. Hopefully, his new venture will allow him to focus on what he does best.

I wish Troy and his partners good luck in their new venture.

-Steve

SamIAm
09-30-2014, 08:03 AM
"Great and terrible reputation" sums it up pretty well. Troy was my go to wheel builder for quite a while. He built me some great wheels and caused me some great consternation.

Per Eastwood, a man has to know his limitations and I believe Troy has correctly identified his and I wish him the best.

Ergott is my wheel builder now, but I wouldn't hesitate to give Troy another chance if it was ever appropriate. Forgiveness is so freeing.

My, unsolicited, advice to Troy is practice humility as you attempt to restore your reputation. Stay engaged here and do not argue or make excuses. Take your lumps, remain positive and run a great business.

Aaron O
09-30-2014, 08:08 AM
I didn't know about the issue - so this thread acted as a warning. I have no interest in dealing with someone who has not behaved appropriately and I trust most of the folks here to be reasonable about such allegations.

herb5998
09-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Troy has reached out and proposed a solution to my issue, will continue offline and update when resolution is complete.

BLD 25
09-30-2014, 11:16 AM
sounds like he is trying at least.

JAGI410
09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
My transaction with Troy/Ligero is complete. I bought an older Rock Shox fork from him and received it today. It works/looks/acts just as described, no complaints.