PDA

View Full Version : Need brake cable housing for vintage frame

SlackMan
09-28-2014, 04:37 PM
I need to buy brake cable housing for a vintage frame that has cable guides brazed along the top tube (instead of cable stops). I seem to recall that some cable housings are too large in outside diameter to fit through the guides. Does anyone know a safe bet for a good quality housing that will fit? Thanks.

Ken Robb
09-28-2014, 04:45 PM
measure the inside diameter of the stops and buy housing smaller than that. I think 4 and 5 mm are common sizes.

bikinchris
09-28-2014, 04:47 PM
5mm housing is what you need.

witcombusa
09-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Jagwire Lined Brake Housing

Ralph
09-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Jagwire Lined Brake Housing

Yes....in 5 MM. You can buy it by the foot. E Bay one source.

SlackMan
09-28-2014, 05:36 PM
So if I don't have a caliper to measure, is it safe to assume 5mm will fit? Was my recollection wrong that some cable housings are too large for vintage frames with the cable guides?

Ken Robb
09-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Get a couple of pieces of scrap housing from your LBS and see what fits. Find a drill bit or similar tool that just fits the guide and buy housing to match it.

bikinchris
09-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Once upon a time, there was such a thing as 6mm housing used on mountain bikes. Maybe you are confusing that? 5mm has been the standard on road bikes since caliper brakes were invented.

oldpotatoe
09-29-2014, 06:52 AM
I need to buy brake cable housing for a vintage frame that has cable guides brazed along the top tube (instead of cable stops). I seem to recall that some cable housings are too large in outside diameter to fit through the guides. Does anyone know a safe bet for a good quality housing that will fit? Thanks.

Just normal, modern 5mm lined brake housing, like Jagwire. If it's a little snug, GENTLY take a 5mm allen and push into the tube guide, then rotate the allen..it will make the thing round. Gently.

SlackMan
09-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Just normal, modern 5mm lined brake housing, like Jagwire. If it's a little snug, GENTLY take a 5mm allen and push into the tube guide, then rotate the allen..it will make the thing round. Gently.

Thanks, Oldpotatoe and the others above. Sounds easy enough. And if the allen wrench "boring" takes any paint, it's no problem because I am having the frame repainted.