PDA

View Full Version : Carbon seatpost click

MeatPuppet
09-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Howdy all,

Been chasing around a clicking sound in a wackadoo proprietary shaped/aero carbon seatpost that came on my Giant Defy Composite. I get an intermittent clicking sound when I put pressure on the saddle. Last week I greased the seatpost moving bits and re-applied the carbon paste (park tools) where the post and collar meet. That knocked out the creak last weekend, went on a ride today though and it's back.

Any insights on how to sort this out? Never met a seatpost that a little grease couldn't quiet down, but am assuming that greasing a carbon seatpost (the actual post, not the clamp) is a big no.

lhuerta
09-28-2014, 01:03 AM
DO NOT grease ur carbon seatpost, instead apply liberal amounts of carbon paste inside the seat tube as well as under the seatpost clamp. Lou

pdmtong
09-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Paste yes. That should solve the click
Grease absolutely no

jc031699
09-28-2014, 09:34 AM
I hear you on greasing all of the seatpost bits. Make sure to use carbon paste liberally all along the inserted part of the seatpost. If I move the post and it spreads out the carbon paste too thinly, the post will start creaking. I've also had this where none of that helped and it actually took a tiny squirt of spray lube to the saddle rail to saddle clamp junction, to get oil into that interface when it was already fully tightened. (Both were metal in that instance.)

weaponsgrade
09-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Personally I've always greased or used anti-seize on my carbon posts. Never had a problem.

MeatPuppet
09-28-2014, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the insights. Will try a liberal application of carbon compound along the length of the post under the collar rather than just at the collar and see if that sorts it out.