PDA

View Full Version : Jones H Bar - On A Touring Bike?!

raygunner
09-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Thinking about installing a Jones H Bar on my touring bike.

Before I plunk down...anyone here have any advice or thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance!

JAGI410
09-27-2014, 11:11 PM
Yes, do it.

cinema
09-28-2014, 12:05 AM
Yes dude. Why not? Nice comfortable sweep. Fine for bars below the saddle unlike other options like albatross, porteur etc.

p nut
09-28-2014, 05:50 AM
I have one in my Big Dummy. Very comfortable and lots of places for gizmos. Lots of hand positions, too. I believe a few have done the TDR on them.

dogdriver
09-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Great bar-- I have one on my Moonlander. My only caution would be to make sure that you're OK with limited (one, unless you're imaginative) hand positions. If you want to get away from standard drop bars, the Salsa Woodchipper or something like it might also be worth a look.

AngryScientist
09-28-2014, 09:03 AM
what kind of shifters do you have in mind for this bike?

p nut
09-28-2014, 09:07 AM
...My only caution would be to make sure that you're OK with limited (one, unless you're imaginative) hand positions...

http://youtu.be/SUxIflfeqLc

dogdriver
09-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Cool. I don't have the "loop", just the "W"-looking one with the relaxed hand angle. The one in the video looks like an "appropriation" of a Ti bar that Gary at Speedway Cycles in Anchorage twisted up a few years ago for Arctic riding. Had threaded mounts for lights, bags, bottles, etc. Very cool.

Ohbytheway-- VERY relevant question above about shifters. Road stuff, while possible, is a little weird on a flat bar, and mountain stuff is a little weird on the Woodchipper (the mtb drop I suggested). Plus, different bar diameters at the clamping points could make it necessary to adapt the clamps.

p nut
09-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Sounds like you have the "bend bar?" I had a Mary bar which I liked, but not wide enough. Bend bar looks like a wider version.

History of the H bar:

http://youtu.be/YGwBvzvIhhs

raygunner
09-28-2014, 11:05 AM
I'd be using Paul Thumbies with 9 speed Shimano bar end shifters.

My concern would be climbing & descents.

Not too many of these in Chicago but you know, for when I actually tour!

I see the Jones diagram for the multiple hand positions and it seems clear but having no personal experience with the Jones bar I'm just hesitant to make the swap.

I was reading this blog: http://justrollingby.com/tag/jeff-jones/

And the author has Jones bar set up on his Ogre and it looks just like a project I want to do. The post talks about ditching drops and being super comfy on the Jones bar. I'm ready to ditch drop bars...at least I think I am!

This is the author's bike:

http://justrollingby.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/ogre-city-scape-tilt.jpg?w=848

cinema
09-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I would also check out the Answer protaper 20/20 enduro bars. These will be going with me on my next tour. I haven't tries jones, though I've been looking at them. I got a great deal on the Answer's and they're featherweights. never had an issue with them. eliminate nerve problems I've dealt with for over a year

ctbiker
10-13-2014, 04:43 PM
I just got the Jones bar for one of my bikes. I've got to figure out which one. My Co-Motion Americano? My Turner Sultan 29er? My Dean Rohloff rando/light tourer?

Guess I'll just throw it on one, ride it, then make a decision to keep or try another. I hope I don't like it too much or I'll have to buy two more ;-)

Ray
ctbiker

raygunner
10-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I've decided to go with the Jones bar. I'm excited and the builder I'm working with floated the idea months ago but it really didn't take root until I read the blog I referenced above. Should be a fun ride!!

benb
10-14-2014, 10:28 AM
I just put a jones loop H-bar on my all city space horse. I had hurt my wrist and am just getting back on the bike after several months of PT, etc..

Lots of people use the H-bar for touring and "adventure touring". It is a good bar, that much is obvious, but setup seems like it will take some experimentation.

I had a 110mm stem with drop bars and have gone to a 100mm stem for now with the loop H-bar, and I also moved my saddle back a little bit. I have these bars level with the saddle whereas I had the drop bars lower. I haven't given up on the idea of trying an even shorter MTB stem, but I'm going to wait on that.

Less weight on the front wheel is noticeable. I can't tell if that is a problem yet. I'm too out of shape from lack of riding and my wrist still isn't 100%, so I haven't done any rough road/off road riding or hard cornering.

The "aero" position on these does seem to be semi aero.. no good for descending though.

Taping them is somewhat challenging too.. and so is lever placement. (I got flat bar shifters) None of it is hard, it is just all new and different so it's hard to tell what is best. Interestingly both braking and shifting is noticeably better.

GRAVELBIKE
10-14-2014, 11:02 AM
I'm a big fan (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=3003) of the Loop bars. I've got a bum wrist, and they're about the only non-drop-bar that I can ride comfortably. I know that lots of folks like pairing them with thumbshifters, but I personally find that triggers work much better.