PDA

View Full Version : Save Your Pennies Kids

dumbod
09-26-2014, 11:15 AM
My wife and I just got back from eight days in Italy riding with Cinghiale Tours (Andy Hampsten). Here are my thoughts.

1) Sometimes in life, you get what you pay for. Cinghiale is expensive but holy frijole do you get what you pay for. Naturally, the riding was superb but everything else was sublime as well.

2) Andy Hampsten is the nicest championship athlete I ever met and, at the age of 52, he still kicks ass on a bike. BTW, his wife, Elaine, is just as nice and, incidentally, smoking hot.

3) We did the Cooking and Cycling Tour which is their "easiest" tour. My wife didn't ride but she still had a GREAT time. She took the cooking lessons and rented a beach bike for the beach and gelato runs and really en

4) It was a big group (approx. 30) and I can only think of one or two that I wouldn't hang out with on a regular basis. I don't know if we were lucky or not but the quality of the group made the meals as much fun as the rides.

5) The food was excellent, and I'm a food snob. I was blown away by the quality of the cooking at the "simple" hotel we stayed at. Several people have said that it's the only bike tour you can do where you gain weight.

6) There was a wide range of riders - a couple of "beasts", a couple of "freds" and everything in between. The staff cheerfully accommodated everybody.

I can't recommend this tour highly enough.

bobswire
09-26-2014, 11:34 AM
That would be the only tour I'd ever consider since it offers two of my favorite passions in life,cycling and cooking along with a chance to ride and talk with Hampsten.

Did you take your own bike or was one loaned to you? How do they accommodate climbs with the different levels of rider ability? One last suggestion, where are the photos!?! :)

RMcRee
09-26-2014, 11:37 AM
What is a "fred"? Pretty sure I know whom "beast" refers to.

Is a "fred" an overweight dentist with a pinarello by any chance?

Pretty sure Fred lives around Santa Cruz.

daker13
09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Awesome. I'd love to do it myself. Curious how you'd describe your fitness level.

bobswire
09-26-2014, 11:43 AM
I believe this is it.

http://cinghiale.com/portfolio/cooking-cycling-september-13-21-2014

ceolwulf
09-26-2014, 11:45 AM
There's not a lot on my "bucket list" but touring Italy with Hampsten's outfit is firmly in there.

makoti
09-26-2014, 12:57 PM
A friend of mine, Bob, did two of these tours just now. Just did Tuscany. Perhaps you rode with him? Very tall guy, from Va? Haven't gotten his take yet, but I almost did the Dolomites with him. Plan to next year!

tumbler
09-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Sounds like my dream vacation. Just need to convince the wife that it's her dream vacation too :cool:

wooly
09-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Touring with Andy and team is a bucket list item for me.

donevwil
09-26-2014, 02:08 PM
My wife and I did the Cinghiale Alps & Dolomites in 2013 for our 10th anniversary. It was an ass-kicker, but the most fun I've had and the most challenged I've been on the bike. Everything dumbod shared is spot on. Everyone involved, the hotels, food, routes, well everything for that matter were above first rate. Andy rode with everyone, fast, slow, in between, back and forth, to the front, to the back, all day every day. Super impressive and a truly wonderful person.

We're saving for another.

FlashUNC
09-26-2014, 02:20 PM
These tours are on my bucket list as well.

Never heard anything but good stuff about Andy and his tours.

Ahneida Ride
09-26-2014, 02:33 PM
If I save in a bank, they practice fictional reserve and overbook 10 to 1.
I really only own 10% of what I deposit.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/image001.gif

happycampyer
09-26-2014, 02:36 PM
I did the Cooking & Cycling trip several years ago, and everything dumbod said is spot-on.

vqdriver
09-26-2014, 03:14 PM
i'm so glad you posted this. i had entertained the thought of going on one of the hampsten tours but my wife doesn't ride and going solo didn't really appeal to me. i had also assumed that people who pay to ride in europe are pretty hardcore and the thought of flogging myself for days just to hang at the expense of enjoying the locale seemed pointless as well. but this changes everything.
a cinghiale tour is definitely on the radar.

donevwil
09-26-2014, 03:32 PM
i'm so glad you posted this. i had entertained the thought of going on one of the hampsten tours but my wife doesn't ride and going solo didn't really appeal to me. i had also assumed that people who pay to ride in europe are pretty hardcore and the thought of flogging myself for days just to hang at the expense of enjoying the locale seemed pointless as well. but this changes everything.
a cinghiale tour is definitely on the radar.

I was close to that on a couple days, but the scenery, people, food and lodging always won over (with a little help from Mr. Grappa). I definitely recommend heading the piggy ratings and gearing recommendations on the Cinghiale site. The Alps & Dolomites Tour was every bit of a 4 piggy and the recommended 34-29 gearing was absolutely needed for me. Next will be the Cooking & Cycling tour for my wife and I although if I were to have an inspired year of riding I'd do a 4 piggy again.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 04:19 PM

You are ill....

enr1co
09-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Sounds like my dream vacation. Just need to convince the wife that it's her dream vacation too :cool:

This ^^^ :cool:

Louis
09-26-2014, 05:07 PM
You are ill....

It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking that he can't truly be serious.

On the Internet how does one distinguish between illness and persistent attempts at deranged humor?

FlashUNC
09-26-2014, 05:14 PM

On the Internet how does one distinguish between illness and persistent attempts at deranged humor?

Once the charts and graphs come out, I think.

Anarchist
09-26-2014, 05:16 PM

]

This is just astoundingly tiresome. If you were not an Admin on this site you would not be allowed to continue spamming every thread with this sort of stuff, but because you are, you can and we can't put you on ignore.

nice.

numbskull
09-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Yet another reason it sucks to be cheap :crap::crap::crap:

Look585
09-26-2014, 05:47 PM
snipped annoying drivel

What does your well known and tiresome view on monetary policy have to do with Andy's fantastic cycle tours?

Get yourself to Tuscany and forget about the Fed. The sky is not falling.

gemship
09-26-2014, 05:53 PM
My wife and I just got back from eight days in Italy riding with Cinghiale Tours (Andy Hampsten). Here are my thoughts.

1) Sometimes in life, you get what you pay for. Cinghiale is expensive but holy frijole do you get what you pay for. Naturally, the riding was superb but everything else was sublime as well.

2) Andy Hampsten is the nicest championship athlete I ever met and, at the age of 52, he still kicks ass on a bike. BTW, his wife, Elaine, is just as nice and, incidentally, smoking hot.

3) We did the Cooking and Cycling Tour which is their "easiest" tour. My wife didn't ride but she still had a GREAT time. She took the cooking lessons and rented a beach bike for the beach and gelato runs and really en

4) It was a big group (approx. 30) and I can only think of one or two that I wouldn't hang out with on a regular basis. I don't know if we were lucky or not but the quality of the group made the meals as much fun as the rides.

5) The food was excellent, and I'm a food snob. I was blown away by the quality of the cooking at the "simple" hotel we stayed at. Several people have said that it's the only bike tour you can do where you gain weight.

6) There was a wide range of riders - a couple of "beasts", a couple of "freds" and everything in between. The staff cheerfully accommodated everybody.

I can't recommend this tour highly enough.

Just how much did this trip set you back in American dollars?

Louis
09-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Just how much did this trip set you back in Euros?

Fixed it for you.

dumbod
09-26-2014, 06:00 PM
What is a "fred"?

I didn't mean Fred as disparaging as that. Inexperienced might be a better term.

Awesome. I'd love to do it myself. Curious how you'd describe your fitness level.

I'm 60+ years old and weigh over 200. Draw your own conclusions. I was almost exactly in the middle with a couple of other guys - slower than the really fast bunch and faster than the slow bunch.

Did you take your own bike or was one loaned to you? How do they accommodate climbs with the different levels of rider ability? One last suggestion, where are the photos!?! :)

I brought my own bike (S&S) but lots of other people rent bikes. I didn't ride one but they were BMC bikes in pretty good shape. Only one person complained about her bike which, considering that she broke the rear derailleur off the frame, was pretty understandable.

They accommodate different riders by having a large staff. They had as many as 6 guides (including Andy and Elaine) riding with us and Andy included "extra credit" climbs for the beasts.

A friend of mine, Bob, did two of these tours just now. Just did Tuscany. Perhaps you rode with him? Very tall guy, from Va? Haven't gotten his take yet, but I almost did the Dolomites with him. Plan to next year!

I did ride with Bob. Strong rider. Do you do the CNN parking garage?

I don't even know what this means much less how to respond to it.

My wife didn't ride (at least formally) and she thought it might have been our best vacation ever.

Just how much did this trip set you back in American dollars?

The tour is priced in dollars and, if memory serves, was about $3500 each. That doesn't include tips, airfare, souvenirs, etc.

Like I said, cheap it's not BUT it was worth every penny.

giverdada
09-26-2014, 06:14 PM
this sounds absolutely awesome. and as a poor guy who loves to ride and get his ass kicked by his very hot and very fast wife, i can't WAIT to go on just such a trip. hampsten seems like a great guy, and his tours have consistently been touted as out of this world, just as you've said. thanks for the description and specific points of note. beauty.

nick.

radsmd
09-26-2014, 06:20 PM
I might be able to sell this to my wife. My big 40 coming up and this would be a great BD present.

Bruce K
09-26-2014, 07:23 PM
This or a Cyclissimo Classico trip with a similar agenda would be a dream.

I have no idea what AR is on about anymore.....:rolleyes:

Let's stay on a fun topic - keeps my brain from hurting.

BK

Anarchist
09-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I have no idea what AR is on about anymore.....:rolleyes:

BK

If you guys can't make him stop, then at least change the settings so we can put him ignore.

firerescuefin
09-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Thank you for sharing.....just made my "worth saving for" list. Kudos for seeing that through. Sounded awesome!

CunegoFan
09-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Need pictures...

Louis
09-26-2014, 08:01 PM
This is from a few years back, when the group was hit by a freak snowstorm.

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/117329.gif

bikingshearer
09-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Hey, I was on that tour, too. :fight:

No, really . . . .

makoti
09-26-2014, 09:17 PM
I did ride with Bob. Strong rider. Do you do the CNN parking garage?

No, but if you're thinking about setting up a clandestine meeting in a parking garage in DC, it's been done. ;-)
What type of S&S? I have a Hollands built with those. Am planning to take it with me next year for my trip.

AngryScientist
09-26-2014, 09:38 PM
this is great stuff.

semi off topic, but i would like to hear more about what your wife did while you were riding. my wife is not a cyclist, but loves the idea of a trip to europe in the near term. hearing why she also had such a good time would be great!

thanks for posting!

Nooch
09-26-2014, 10:05 PM
this is great stuff.

semi off topic, but i would like to hear more about what your wife did while you were riding. my wife is not a cyclist, but loves the idea of a trip to europe in the near term. hearing why she also had such a good time would be great!

thanks for posting!

this, this, and this. i've already pitched it for 7 years down the line for our 10 year wedding anniversary, lol.

donevwil
09-26-2014, 10:18 PM
this, this, and this. i've already pitched it for 7 years down the line for our 10 year wedding anniversary, lol.

Wow, I guess I'm pretty blessed. The Cinghiale tour my wife and I did was her idea to celebrate our 10th.

thunderworks
09-26-2014, 10:24 PM
I was on this tour with dumbod (are you A.L.) and I'll echo everything he said. The trip was worth every penny. Andy and Elaine are wonderful, gracious people. All of the guides were incredible, and the simple hotel facility was perfect. This was probably the best vacation I've ever taken.

I think I've been ruined forever for my local riding . . .please take me back to Italy!

FlashUNC
09-26-2014, 10:27 PM
This is from a few years back, when the group was hit by a freak snowstorm.

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/117329.gif

Here his tour group is in the summer. Fair warning, you might draw some fans around Dutch corner...

http://bikeraceinfo.com/images-all/photo-galleries-images/racers-images/hampsten-andrew/1992-tdf-14-hampsten.jpg

dumbod
09-27-2014, 09:20 AM
this is great stuff.

thanks for posting!

My wife did several things.

She took cooking classes (part of the package) on five of the eight days. She hasn't cooked a meal in 30 years but she enjoyed the classes (and eating the results.)
She visited a couple of the towns we rode to. (Once again, part of the package.) We then toured the towns, often with a commentary by Andy.
She rented a town bike. This was probably the key point. The hotel is a little isolated. Castagneto is nearby but it's a VERY steep climb to reach it and you exhaust its 'tourist' attractions pretty quickly. With a bike, my wife was able to go to the beach (about four miles) and Bolgheri (about 10k). Both rides were essentially flat but extremely pleasant.
She hung out with whoever wasn't riding that day. There was a core of 4-5 non-riders, dubbed the 'Cooks', but there were also people who chose not to ride on a given day. As I said in prior post, the group was exceptionally congenial and she really enjoyed everyone's company.

This trip was to celebrate my 60th birthday and she was really doing it for me but, as it turned out, she had a spectacular time. If your wife is really concerned about it, drop me a PM and I'll put her in direct contact with my wife.

dumbod
09-27-2014, 09:23 AM
No, but if you're thinking about setting up a clandestine meeting in a parking garage in DC, it's been done. ;-)
What type of S&S? I have a Hollands built with those. Am planning to take it with me next year for my trip.

I had Tom Kellogg build a Spectrum with S&S and Di2. The only problem with the bike is that it's still a PITA to lug through the airport in the hard case. I'm thinking about using the backpack but am worried about a lack of protection.

dumbod
09-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Photos are coming.

djg
09-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Or performance art. It's not just 174,000 tellings of the same joke. It's 174,000 tellings of the same joke about money on an internet chat board ostensibly devoted to bikes and cycling. What's that about?

He's here forever. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

tiretrax
09-27-2014, 03:35 PM
There are three outfitters in Italy I would consider - 1. Chingale, 2. Eros Poli's outfit, and 3. In Gamba. All offer great accomodations and food, from everything I've read. The routes are probably very similar, but 30 in a group. That seems a little large, even if he has staff to manage it. It must subsidize the framebuilding business.

PaMtbRider
09-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the review. This tour is on our short list. Probably another 2-3 years till we get back to Europe for riding, but this looks like the way to go.

csm
09-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I think he's got the standard fed posts set as macros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ultraman6970
09-27-2014, 05:42 PM
If one day I win the lotto I will do all of these tours. Amazing.

BumbleBeeDave
09-27-2014, 05:51 PM
. . . is simply to go to Grenoble, get a cheap hotel room for a couple of weeks, and go riding with velotel and Maxn.

Far cheaper, no waiting list, and the riding will be just as good--and probably better! :banana:

BBD

Buzz
09-27-2014, 07:23 PM
There are three outfitters in Italy I would consider - 1. Chingale, 2. Eros Poli's outfit, and 3. In Gamba. All offer great accomodations and food, from everything I've read. The routes are probably very similar, but 30 in a group. That seems a little large, even if he has staff to manage it. It must subsidize the framebuilding business.

Can't go wrong with either three. Just go! First trip I did to Italy was with Hampsten and it was awesome. Trips with Eros and In Gamba tend to be smaller. Here are my friends with Eros yesterday in Spain and yes that is Miguel Indurain

metalheart
04-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I've decided to do this trip in 2016 and just wondering if folks have any other comments about their experience. Taking my own bike might be an issue, but I might trade in my current Holland Exogrid for one of Bill's Jet frames (http://hollandcycles.com/holland-exojet/)that can be packed into a hard case. I need a short seat tube and longer head tube (shorter legs, longer torso), so riding a stock bike might be an issue.

I am (at this time anyway) a reasonably fit 70 year old. My right knee was recently replaced and later this summer my left knee will be also, so I should have two solid knees to work with for the trip. That gives me a year to recover and be ready for the trip. I assume I will be on the older end of folks going on this type of trip and may not be with the fast groups, but I do alright.

Anyway, the trip is a celebration just to celebrate being alive and cycling.

SPOKE
04-14-2015, 10:29 AM
What is a "fred"? Pretty sure I know whom "beast" refers to.

The dentists and lawyers used to have to ride Serotta's to get the "Fred" label😧.

alessandro
04-14-2015, 10:52 AM

That is a great reason to take a trip! :beer:

sparky33
04-14-2015, 10:56 AM

What would you guess the average participant age was?
I'm fairly comfortable being humbled by riders a good deal older than me, but I mainly wonder if the non-riding participants would be in a similar life-decade for well-matched company for my wife as she spends the days not riding.

dumbod
04-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Sorry to revive and old thread, but I've decided to do this trip in 2016 and just wondering if folks have any other comments about their experience. Taking my own bike might be an issue, but I might trade in my current Holland Exogrid for one of Bill's Jet frames (http://hollandcycles.com/holland-exojet/)that can be packed into a hard case. I need a short seat tube and longer head tube (shorter legs, longer torso), so riding a stock bike might be an issue.

I am (at this time anyway) a reasonably fit 70 year old. My right knee was recently replaced and later this summer my left knee will be also, so I should have two solid knees to work with for the trip. That gives me a year to recover and be ready for the trip. I assume I will be on the older end of folks going on this type of trip and may not be with the fast groups, but I do alright.

I'm always happy to talk about the trip.

Bringing a full size bike is a pain but only because of the traveling you would do before or after the tour. If all you were going to do was fly to Pisa, ride and fly home, there's really not a problem. Before I bought a new bike, I would email Andy/Elaine and ask them what they can do to fit your situation with a rental. Unless, of course, you're looking for an excuse to buy a new bike in which case I didn't say anything.

Assuming that you don't weigh 450 pounds, the ride is quite doable. There are more aggressive options but the team does everything that it can to accommodate slower riders including offering short cuts and van rides. And, if you choose not to ride on a given day, there are still lots of options.

What would you guess the average participant age was?
I'm fairly comfortable being humbled by riders a good deal older than me, but I mainly wonder if the non-riding participants would be in a similar life-decade for well-matched company for my wife as she spends the days not riding.

Other than two couples, everybody was in their 40s or more. If I recall correctly, one rider told me he was 72 (although very fit) and there were a number of riders in their 60s. As I said in my first post, I don't know if we were just lucky or not but, with a couple of exceptions, the entire group was extremely congenial. I can help that think that your wife would find non-riders to hang with.

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Yet another reason it sucks to be cheap :crap::crap::crap:

Or broke.

metalheart
04-14-2015, 03:09 PM
Bringing a full size bike is a pain but only because of the traveling you would do before or after the tour. If all you were going to do was fly to Pisa, ride and fly home, there's really not a problem. Before I bought a new bike, I would email Andy/Elaine and ask them what they can do to fit your situation with a rental. Unless, of course, you're looking for an excuse to buy a new bike in which case I didn't say anything.

Our plan would be to arrive a few days early to adjust and maybe do some sight-seeing on the coast. I can talk to Andy/Elaine about fit issues for a rental bike or if I did get a Jet frame, storing it while we sight-see. I would prefer not buying a new bike.

I am not too worried about keeping up with folks. Although I usually ride by myself, when I do ride with groups I do fine, even with the mid-forty to mid-fifty crowd. But, I don't yet know if there will be any compromises from these surgeries, so who knows. So far, I am doing fine and riding stronger every day.

My wife is very excited about the trip. We actually booked the trip three years ago, but knee issues resulted in canceling, so she is more than ready for the trip and since then she has started cycling too. But, her primary interest is in the cooking aspect of the trip and just relaxing in Italy.

gemship
04-14-2015, 06:04 PM

Our plan would be to arrive a few days early to adjust and maybe do some sight-seeing on the coast. I can talk to Andy/Elaine about fit issues for a rental bike or if I did get a Jet frame, storing it while we sight-see. I would prefer not buying a new bike.

I am not too worried about keeping up with folks. Although I usually ride by myself, when I do ride with groups I do fine, even with the mid-forty to mid-fifty crowd. But, I don't yet know if there will be any compromises from these surgeries, so who knows. So far, I am doing fine and riding stronger every day.

My wife is very excited about the trip. We actually booked the trip three years ago, but knee issues resulted in canceling, so she is more than ready for the trip and since then she has started cycling too. But, her primary interest is in the cooking aspect of the trip and just relaxing in Italy.

Hey pal thank you for rehashing this thread:hello:

Bless you and may you find good health to take on possibly the greatest ride of your life! Not to mention work up an appetite for some awesome cooking.

Kirk007
04-14-2015, 06:34 PM
The great roads you will be riding deserve a great bike that you are comfortable riding. Why risk that with a rental? We took a tandem (granted an S&S tandem but it was still too big 62X62 suitcases, and we toured Germany, Switzerland and Italy, with a 7 year old, before the bike trip. A hassle yes, but riding those sublime roads on a bike that you really like - priceless.

metalheart
04-14-2015, 07:28 PM
The great roads you will be riding deserve a great bike that you are comfortable riding. Why risk that with a rental? We took a tandem (granted an S&S tandem but it was still too big 62X62 suitcases, and we toured Germany, Switzerland and Italy, with a 7 year old, before the bike trip. A hassle yes, but riding those sublime roads on a bike that you really like - priceless.

Ok, you talked me into it. I will either take my current bike or a Jet frame! I have not had many experiences with rental bikes, but the ones I have had were at best unpleasant.

Kirk007
04-14-2015, 10:14 PM
You will not regret it. The road between Castegnetto Carducci
and Sassetta is sublime.

Erik_A
04-14-2015, 10:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/travel/andy-hampstens-spin-on-cycling-tours.html?_r=0

thunderworks
04-14-2015, 11:01 PM
You will not regret it. The road between Castegnetto Carducci
and Sassetta is sublime.

Agreed . . .something like 180 switchbacks in 8 miles. I think Andy called it the best road in Italy to ride. Stunning.

Fiertetimestwo
04-15-2015, 04:45 AM
Thanks for reviving this thread- I am off to visit Andy in September this year and even though it is about 5 months away I am getting excited already.

We decided to hire bikes as we are travelling from Australia through the UK and Germany before heading to Tuscany- hopefully they will be good or good enough.

I have ridden in Europe three times before and taken bikes in full size cases each time. I found them to be a serious pain in the $&/; especially wrestling them on and off trains. It is also challenging (but, of course, not impossible) to find taxis big enough to find two bike cases, two people and other bags. Your experiences may of course vary!