PDA

View Full Version : Nashbar cross frame

rockdoc
09-26-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm looking to build a beater cross / commuter / winter type bike . Nashbar has a cross frame , aluminum, at $115 plus another $125 for a carbon fork. Anyone have any experience with this frame? Can't go too far wrong at those prices. Anyone have an idea what company built these frames?

Steve

rockdoc
09-26-2014, 08:52 AM
I'm also looking at the Niner RLT 9 frame and fork. Wondering how these compare.

Steve

45K10
09-26-2014, 08:58 AM
I had one a few years back, overall a pretty good frame for the price. Only problem was the chainstay spacing. I could not run a modern crankset (175mm) on it. The crank-arm would hit the chainstay on the drive side. I tried a couple of spacers but I could not get it to work.

I had to go with an older centuar (115mm) square taper bottom bracket and an older record crank I had laying around to get it to work. So check the geometry to see if it will work for you.

Definitely a good beater bike but if you are even slightly serious about racing it get something else.

4Rings6Stars
09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
^^ had the same issue as well. That was about 5 years ago though, not sure if things have changed.

Instead of spending ~250 on a nashbar set up...I would recommend spending a similar amount on something nicer but used. I scored a beat up IF for not much more than that years ago and while a little ugly, it's far and away my favorite bike to this day.

ceolwulf
09-26-2014, 11:42 AM
I got my Masi CXR on eBay NOS for hardly any more and that's a great race-worthy frame.

rockdoc
09-26-2014, 01:39 PM
^^ had the same issue as well. That was about 5 years ago though, not sure if things have changed.

Instead of spending ~250 on a nashbar set up...I would recommend spending a similar amount on something nicer but used. I scored a beat up IF for not much more than that years ago and while a little ugly, it's far and away my favorite bike to this day.

That's exactly what I'm going to do.

Steve

GeorgeTSquirrel
09-26-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm also looking at the Niner RLT 9 frame and fork. Wondering how these compare.

LOL I don't think they are comparable.. but the Nashbar makes sense for a winter bike.

Lots of Kona Jake the Snakes on the used market.

Louis
09-26-2014, 08:22 PM
I have an aluminum Nashbar road frame. $120, and probably the best cycling value purchase I've ever made. I have tons of miles on it and I love it. Don't know anything about their cross frames.

likebikes
09-27-2014, 10:19 PM
I sold an older redline cx frame/fork, and a new headset for $50 a couple years back, look around deals are out there.

rockdoc
09-28-2014, 04:55 PM
After lots of looking around, reading, etc., currently got my sights set on a Soma Double Cross. Now trying to decide disc or cantilever (or v-brake..).....

Steve

rockdoc
09-28-2014, 04:57 PM
I would definitely grab a beat up (cosmetically at least) IF if one came along in my size and price range.

Steve

rilz
09-28-2014, 05:38 PM
Another similar option to consider: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1091

I don't have any personal experience with this frame, but I have enjoyed other bikesdirect/bikeisland frames.

BLD 25
09-28-2014, 06:21 PM
I am also looking for a cross frame, but it is prob a bad time of a year to find a used one, right?

Hepmike
09-29-2014, 12:42 AM
I am also looking for a cross frame, but it is prob a bad time of a year to find a used one, right?

Wait until Nov/Dec when everyone is disappointed with their performance this season and starts dumping them...

BLD 25
09-29-2014, 05:43 AM
Ha! Good idea!