PDA

View Full Version : Di2 and the mud

Ryun
09-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Just an FYI, ultegra di2 performed nicely in mucky conditions in the cross race tonight.
Pulled a bunch of st augustine grass and mud out of the rear mech and off the front chainrings but never missed a shift.

The only thing that was a bit tricky is that it is a little too easy to bump the front shifter on a run up and move the front der.

thirdgenbird
09-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Awesome

buldogge
09-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Having zero Di2/EPS experience…

Is there any danger of the mechs continuing to try and shift a mucked up component and causing damage…where you, the human, would feel the resistance???

-Mark in St. Louis

xeladragon
09-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Nice. I love pics of bling bling bikes all dirtied up. I'd hate to clean it afterwards though. :)

45K10
09-26-2014, 04:19 AM
Cool pics, you probably know this already but make sure there is a small loop of cable under the hoods of the shifter. A buddy of mine ran DI2 last season and found out this little trick the hard way. I was throughly impressed how well it worked in the mud and gunk.

Like the yellow!

JAGI410
09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Nice. I love pics of bling bling bikes all dirtied up. I'd hate to clean it afterwards though. :)

That's the perfect time for drinking beer in the garage with the radio on, relaxing and slowly bringing the clean bike back to life.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Having zero Di2/EPS experience…

Is there any danger of the mechs continuing to try and shift a mucked up component and causing damage…where you, the human, would feel the resistance???

-Mark in St. Louis

Built one of the first Di2(10s) for a guy..on a cross bike and yes, it worked great...until the cogset got so mucked with mud that the chain stopped, ala a stick in the der, ripped the der off the bike..frame OK but a new Di2 rear der was a 'few bucks'...

bcroslin
09-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Just an FYI, ultegra di2 performed nicely in mucky conditions in the cross race tonight.
Pulled a bunch of st augustine grass and mud out of the rear mech and off the front chainrings but never missed a shift.

The only thing that was a bit tricky is that it is a little too easy to bump the front shifter on a run up and move the front der.

That's what our bikes looked like after practice tonight. Are you in FL?

Ryun
09-26-2014, 09:16 AM
That's what our bikes looked like after practice tonight. Are you in FL?

Yup in Jacksonville

firerescuefin
09-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Built one of the first Di2(10s) for a guy..on a cross bike and yes, it worked great...until the cogset got so mucked with mud that the chain stopped, ala a stick in the der, ripped the der off the bike..frame OK but a new Di2 rear der was a 'few bucks'...

That really had nothing to do with Di2 though. Sounds like the nature of the beast with Cross. Just more expensive to replace.

old fat man
09-26-2014, 10:56 AM
Pretty sure Sven et al in Europe have been doing just fine with electronic groups for a while.

bcroslin
09-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Yup in Jacksonville

Hope you can make it to Dunedin tomorrow. We'll likely have more of that mud for you. I'm still trying to get the stink out of my shoes from last year.