PDA

View Full Version : Please change min number of posts for newbies

RMcRee
09-25-2014, 01:06 PM
It now takes 30 posts for newbies to have the right to post in the classifieds.

Please change that to 40.

It was 20 (I swear) when I first signed on and now, 2 months or so later, just as I was about to be able to post, it went to 30.

What a relief. All of those material items that I want but don't need again out of reach.

Now, here we are again. I'm at 22 (uh 23 posts) and feeling the urge to post in the classifieds. I need a new carbon frame since the careless driver smashed my last one.

So up it to 40.

Thanks,
Randy

Keith A
09-25-2014, 01:29 PM
After a lengthy discussion on the forum back in June, we decided to increase the post count required for the classifieds from 20 to 30.

But I'll set the minimum for your account to 40 :rolleyes:

MattTuck
09-25-2014, 01:31 PM
Randy,

Is it really that much of a burden to be a part of a few discussions in the general section?

In the meantime, there's always eBay, competitive cyclist, craigslist, your LBS, a local builder, etc. to help with your frame acquisition needs.

firerescuefin
09-25-2014, 01:36 PM
"I'm a dreamer. I have to dream and reach for the stars, and if I miss a star then I grab a handful of clouds." - Mike Tyson

Words to live by Randy ;)

christian
09-25-2014, 01:37 PM
For Randy, specifically, can we just up it to 100. I want more of his insight here in general discussion. He seems like a sharp chap!

Dead Man
09-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Sounds like the policy is working, to me. You seem to be exactly the type staff is trying to screen out: people who want to exploit the community for personal gain without any contribution to said community.

Repent!

firerescuefin
09-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the policy is working, to me. You seem to be exactly the type staff is trying to screen out: people who want to exploit the community for personal gain without any contribution to said community.

Repent!

In defense of Randy, sounds like he wants to post a WTB....That said, PM'ing folks that are selling stuff is still allowed.

Randy, my post was intended as good natured. I was brought here by the classifieds, but stayed here for the "other". :)

RMcRee
09-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Ok, dreamers, moderators and the I-know-what-is-best-for-you-ians:

Here's the thing. I read a *lot* in this forum. How come you don't take that in to account? Huh! Glare! Yeah, you.

Why don't I post more? Because there are better mechanics who have posted on those mechanical questions, and better fit folks posting on those fit questions and besides IF YOU ONLY BOTHERED TO SEARCH you would have found a better answer than what you were about to post anyway. Not in this forum? It's on google, silly.

Sorry, no, the whole 20/30 and now 40 post thing is silly.

How about this? Go to 10, or 1 and see what happens. What will break?

OK, deep breath. I think I know what would happen. Spam. It would be ugly, wouldn't it? God, I hate spammers even more than moderators and those who know what is best for me.

Thanks for letting me vent,
Randy

Keith A
09-25-2014, 01:51 PM
BTW, I didn't really change your account to 40...I hope you noticed the :rolleyes:

Joachim
09-25-2014, 01:51 PM
And.... He just posted a wtb in this thread. BAM!

FlashUNC
09-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Methinks some folks missed the sarcasm and silliness.

Dead Man
09-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Here's the thing. I read a *lot* in this forum. How come you don't take that in to account? Huh! Glare! Yeah, you.

Why don't I post more? Because there are better mechanics who have posted on those mechanical questions, and better fit folks posting on those fit questions and besides IF YOU ONLY BOTHERED TO SEARCH you would have found a better answer than what you were about to post anyway. Not in this forum? It's on google, silly.

OK, deep breath. I think I know what would happen. Spam. It would be ugly, wouldn't it? God, I hate spammers even more than moderators and those who know what is best for me.

Randy

You're still missing the point...

Don't come up in here wanting to benefit from a community you're not willing to contribute to. This isn't craigslist.

vqdriver
09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
meh.

just participate more the discussions. it goes by faster than you realize.
and you'll like us more

probably......

:eek:

Steve in SLO
09-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Just start a thread on why you love (hate):
Rapha
Gravel bikes
Any US rider associated with US Postal
UCI
Campagnolo
SRAM
Shimano
Tubulars
Minimum number of posts
Paceline
Velocipede Salon
3 foot rule
Specialized

and BOOM! done.

rugbysecondrow
09-25-2014, 02:33 PM
No harm no foul. Lots of folks came for the classifieds, but stayed for the political conversations (jokes).

In all seriousness, you are just a few more replies away from being able to post about the bike of your dreams. I do understand about reading and lurking, although I am not very good at it myself.

Cheers

bcroslin
09-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Randy

Just post a few anti-cycling threads that bring out the self-loathing cyclists among us and you'll hit 30+ before you know it.

alexstar
09-25-2014, 03:18 PM
I think we need a new threshold: New members must post a minimum of 50 dancing bananas before they can post in the classifieds :banana:

CaliFly
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
I think we need a new threshold: New members must post a minimum of 50 dancing bananas before they can post in the classifieds :banana:

Even better? A countdown GIF with each successive post below the threshold.

I love Rapha. Why do you hate it?
...29 more posts to go

I'm 6'-2" with arms like tyrannosaurus rex. Will a 52cm bike fit me?
...28 more posts to go

Obama just saluted with a latte. Discuss.
...27 more posts to go

LOL. :banana:
...26 more posts to go

Geez, that's a beauty. Wish is was my size.
...40 more posts to go

Louis
09-25-2014, 03:36 PM
What about the strength of the US dollar vs the Euro?

Even better? A countdown GIF with each successive post below the threshold.

I love Rapha. Why do you hate it?
...29 more posts to go

I'm 6'-2" with arms like tyrannosaurus rex. Will a 52cm bike fit me?
...28 more posts to go

Obama just saluted with a latte. Discuss.
...27 more posts to go

LOL. :banana:
...26 more posts to go

Geez, that's a beauty. Wish is was my size.
...40 more posts to go

TMB
09-25-2014, 03:37 PM
I think a whole lot of you need to re-read the OP. Carefully.

tumbler
09-25-2014, 03:41 PM
I was in your shoes a short time ago. I had some items to post and some items to buy. At first I thought, "30 posts... what's the point of that?". As I hung around, I realized that this is a pretty nice community of bike-obsessed dudes and dudettes who enjoy talking, sharing, and helping each other out... while doing a fair amount of buying/selling/trading along the way.

As for the classifieds, I like that they are dominated by people with a history and reputation here. I feel more comfortable sending money to strangers when I know that several others have dealt with them successfully. I think something would be lost if this became more of a Craigslist with ads filled by single-digit posters. Just my thoughts... but you'll be at 30 before you know it :)

Gsinill
09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Just start a thread on why you love (hate):
Rapha
Gravel bikes
Any US rider associated with US Postal
UCI
Campagnolo
SRAM
Shimano
Tubulars
Minimum number of posts
Paceline
Velocipede Salon
3 foot rule
Specialized

and BOOM! done.

You forgot "flipping"

p nut
09-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Randy

With all that reading, you must now have a wealth of knowledge to share. :hello:

By the way, I think the mods here do a spectacular job. Although the maturity level of most of the people here help them look that much better.

jmoore
09-25-2014, 03:53 PM
This thread is exhausting.

I agree with TMB

TBDSeattle
09-25-2014, 04:08 PM
You forgot "flipping"

+ jens voigt
+ headtube length
+ sloping or level top tube
+ "fleabay"

Whew...

Dead Man
09-25-2014, 04:09 PM
+ jens voigt
+ headtube length
+ sloping or level top tube
+ "fleabay"

Whew...

Does anyone even make a level top tube any more?

Louis
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Does anyone even make a level top tube any more?

What's this "top tube" thing to which you refer?

http://www.cyclorama.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/africa_bike_upgrades-001-1024x667.jpg

RMcRee
09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Seriously, what is the difference between 20 posts and 30??

Can someone summarize the rationale?

(Believe me, I am also hoping that I am a productive forum member but is that line drawn at 30 posts..why??)

malcolm
09-25-2014, 04:15 PM

(Believe me, I am also hoping that I am a productive forum member but is that line drawn at 30 posts..why??)

10, sorry couldn't resist

Louis
09-25-2014, 04:19 PM

Especially since there are so many posts out there in the world - what's a few more here or there?

http://danielruf.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f144c348834017eeb440ef9970d-500wi

regularguy412
09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
I see this thread is deteriorating rapidly. But it's still good!

Mike in AR:beer:

Dead Man
09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
What's this "top tube" thing to which you refer?

http://www.cyclorama.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/africa_bike_upgrades-001-1024x667.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/PrimitiveScrewhead1973/Beavis_and_Butthead_horror.png

roydyates
09-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Randy
I agree with Randy. With the expertise among the fast-responding forumites, it's rare to find a thread where I can contribute. In particular, if I am looking for an answer to a question, almost everything has been answered in the past!

If I could go back and check, I think I would find that I was a daily reader of the forum for a year before I reached 30 posts.

roydyates
09-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Maybe 50 dancing bananas should be the threshold for forum exile? :banana: (My first I believe.)

christian
09-25-2014, 05:20 PM
I agree with Randy. With the expertise among the fast-responding forumites, it's rare to find a thread where I can contribute. In particular, if I am looking for an answer to a question, almost everything has been answered in the past! Have you found that this is an impediment to most forumites? Most people just post any old nonsense anyway. Approximately 1/3 of my posts are just badgering Happycampyer to sell me one of his bikes.

jtakeda
09-25-2014, 05:22 PM
^ gotta agree with above.

I might not know enough to give expert advice all the time, but it's pretty easy to chime in on threads like the infamous campy pencil thread from a few years back.

For those who missed it

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=121253&highlight=Campy+pencils

Louis
09-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Most people just post any old nonsense anyway.

No way! All my stuff is brand new, freshly minted nonsense.

CaliFly
09-25-2014, 05:46 PM

You meant FRNs, right?

To answer the OPs last question: I'm certain this number is determined mostly through observation by the mods. Quality of posts, genuine participation, community building...it's not hard to view the posts of any user.

20 posts in a 36-hour period consisting of no more than 10 words each? Easy peasy. 30 posts? That's just tiring. It's all in an effort to protect the integrity of the board. Some will agree on the policies while others bitch and moan. Of the latter, some will actually stay...because in the end, it's a family that just likes to talk about bikes (and other stuff).

Cheers.

T.J.
09-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Especially since there are so many posts out there in the world - what's a few more here or there?

http://danielruf.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f144c348834017eeb440ef9970d-500wi

thegunner
09-25-2014, 05:51 PM
I think a whole lot of you need to re-read the OP. Carefully.

+1 it's weird how much people are criticizing lack of participation when they're not even reading the OP lol

jimoots
09-25-2014, 06:42 PM
If you can't find a thread or two to weigh your opinion onto, you're really not trying hard enough.

FWIW up it to 500 posts, I don't want to spend any more money for a few months either :cool:

:banana:

roydyates
09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Have you found that this is an impediment to most forumites? Most people just post any old nonsense anyway. Approximately 1/3 of my posts are just badgering Happycampyer to sell me one of his bikes.
It's not an impediment to me. In fact, it's a feature not a bug. I guess I like hearing the old nonsense.

numbskull
09-25-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm in. That's 21 :rollem:

ceolwulf
09-25-2014, 07:22 PM
I have no idea what's going on here, but do carry on, it's quite entertaining :banana:

Frankwurst
09-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Beings how I believe in helping my fellow man reach goals that might seem hard to reach, I'm going to help the OP out here. :beer:

Do You wear a helmet?

christian
09-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Randy, what size are you? Bike, I mean.

Louis
09-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Beings how I believe in helping my fellow man reach goals that might seem hard to reach, I'm going to help the OP out here. :beer:

Do You wear a helmet?

Yeah dude, and that mirror has to go. (Unless you feel you can justify it.)

BTW, your stem's too short.

eddief
09-25-2014, 07:54 PM
is the only way to go.

Bradford
09-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Most of us have 30 posts about squirrels alone.

Louis
09-25-2014, 08:13 PM
Most of us have 30 posts about squirrels alone.

Heck, even The Squirrel has more than 30 posts, and you know how hard it is for him to type, with all that to-ing and fro-ing on the keyboard.

christian
09-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Suggest we set the minimum to 16,000 for posting about Italian cars.

Louis
09-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Suggest we set the minimum to 16,000 for posting about Italian cars.

Speaking of which, did you see this? NYT stuff on the 4C (http://nyti.ms/1suORbE)

Would be a nice complement to the GTV...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2014/09/27/automobiles/27DRIVEN-image/27DRIVEN-image-mediumThreeByTwo210-v2.jpg

rilz
09-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Hey I'm a new member and I am glad there is the 30 post minimum. I wouldn't want to buy something from someone who has no interaction with the forum. I think the 30 post minimum even encourages new members to participate more than they might because of the intimidation of talking to someone with 16,000 posts or something.

Louis
09-25-2014, 10:04 PM
I think the 30 post minimum even encourages new members to participate more than they might because of the intimidation of talking to someone with 16,000 posts or something.

You're durn right about that. Those guys are just brilliant (and super-fast on the bike). Or something like that. But maybe they should be riding instead of posting...

dpk501
09-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Randy, what size are you? Bike, I mean.

GLAD YOU ADDED THAT CAVEAT!!!!

If you follow up with shoe size....

dpk501
09-25-2014, 10:39 PM
OP:

30 posts are not tough...

30, let alone one KOM on strava is...

I offer zero good information here but this forum rocks.
Post away and good luck!

alessandro
09-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Speaking of which, did you see this? NYT stuff on the 4C (http://nyti.ms/1suORbE)

Would be a nice complement to the GTV...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2014/09/27/automobiles/27DRIVEN-image/27DRIVEN-image-mediumThreeByTwo210-v2.jpg

Yeah, what's up with that?

From the article:
"...midengine design, carbon-fiber tub construction, lightweight composite skin and relative bargain price."
Are they referring to:
-a new e-bike coming soon to a MUT near you?
-the latest Jacuzzi technology?
-a car.

Louis
09-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Automotive Philistine. You've obviously never driven an Alfa.

May the ghost of Juan Manuel Fangio haunt your nights and may you be doomed to use SRAM components for the rest of your cycling days.

Yeah, what's up with that?

From the article:
"...midengine design, carbon-fiber tub construction, lightweight composite skin and relative bargain price."
Are they referring to:
-a new e-bike coming soon to a MUT near you?
-the latest Jacuzzi technology?
-a car.

dpk501
09-25-2014, 10:59 PM
I can't wait for the 4c! That will replace bike collecting and will be worth it.

May the ghost of Juan Manuel Fangio haunt your nights and may you be doomed to use SRAM components for the rest of your cycling days.

Louis
09-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Dealer locations:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zV0Ik2HA0pcY.kGvDS7x1aeyY

There will be one across the river from St Louis in IL. Once that Fiat dealership gets them in and hullabaloo dies down I'll have to swing by to check them out. (I assume they'll be available for test drives...)

alessandro
09-25-2014, 11:36 PM

Harsh, my late-night friend, but only partly true. I do ride SRAM, with no ghost shifts. But I have driven an Alfa: In college, a friend had a GTV6. It wasn't a classic from the 50s or 60s, but it moved nicely. The cop who stopped me for speeding in Selinsgrove, Pa., wrote Alpha Romero on the ticket.

Still, that NYT review could equally be about a too-stiff bike:

"[Ridden] slowly about town, it lacks some refinement. It behaves better when [ridden] hard.

The occasional art collector will bite, but [_____] is intended for [cycl]ing enthusiasts who want a pure, unfiltered performance dynamic. It’s crazy fun for romps on tight winding roads. It’s also loud, stiffly sprung and intolerant of lazy pilots. With peaky power delivery and steering that demands your full attention, the [_____] is not a comfortable [bike] to [ride] 180 miles from Portland, Ore., to Seattle."

Louis
09-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Harsh, my late-night friend, but only partly true.

I'm sorry - I should have put a ;) after that "not driven an Alfa" line - I didn't mean it in a nasty way at all - I should have softened the tone or made it more obvious that I was just teasing. (as hopefully my "curse" also tried to show)

Additional edit: Some might say that not having owned an Alfa is a blessing. :)

Still, that NYT review could equally be about a too-stiff bike:

Is a CAAD 9 a "too stiff bike?"

Although I dislike this line, it is appropriate: "Horses for courses"

You wouldn't go cross country on a crit bike and you wouldn't drive a twisty road fast in a '59 Cadillac Eldorado.

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Cadillac/59-Cadillac_Eldorado_SeVille-KM-08_RH-04.jpg

Uncle Jam's Army
09-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Good God, man! Just suck it up, participate in the obligatory banality, and earn your 30 posts like a real virtual citizen.

Louis
09-25-2014, 11:55 PM
obligatory banality

Banality? Banality! IMO that deserve a ban. :)

Banter yes, banal? Never!

alessandro
09-26-2014, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry - I should have put a ;) after that "not driven an Alfa" line - I didn't mean it in a nasty way at all - I should have softened the tone or made it more obvious that I was just teasing. (as hopefully my "curse" also tried to show)

Eh? I appreciate a good curse. I get it--my father smelt of elderberries, etc.:fight:

... a '59 Cadillac Eldorado.

mm, tail fins.

Beldar77
09-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Eh? I appreciate a good curse. I get it--my father smelt of elderberries, etc.:fight:

" Go away or I shall taunt you a second time, you silly English knigget"

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 06:40 AM

not allowed to say 'dollar'..silly

shovelhd
09-26-2014, 07:12 AM
You forgot "flipping"

Hate flippers. They're so hard to walk in.

dpk501
09-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Hate flippers. They're so hard to walk in.

Let alone pedal in...

RMcRee
09-26-2014, 11:49 AM
GLAD YOU ADDED THAT CAVEAT!!!!

If you follow up with shoe size.... <--Original, post that this quoted asked: Randy, how big is your bicycle? You need to know that for my response to make sense.

I ride a bigger bicycle than you...big man.

This forum needs better emoticons is all I can say. But thanks for giving me the chance to embarass myself.

I'm past 30 posts now and I'm so over bicycling forums.

Randy (OP)

RMcRee
09-26-2014, 11:57 AM
You're still missing the point...

Don't come up in here wanting to benefit from a community you're not willing to contribute to. This isn't craigslist.

Actually I completely agree. Craigslist is either

--) just stole your bicycle and want some money for it, or
++) kid's mountain bike just minor cosmetic damage and two flat tires

Randy

roguedog
09-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Ken Robb
09-26-2014, 11:26 PM

I have a poster from The Monterey Historics when Alfa was the featured marque. I got Fangio and Phil Hill's autograph on it. I was about to ask Jackie Stewart to sign also when some FordMoCo. PR pukes dragged him off to meet someone a lot more important than me.

At the Mercedes Dinner that night I sat next to Briggs Cunningham who asked if I might allow him to sign next to "those fine gentlemen". Yep, it hangs next to my photo of Enzo and Phil Hill in the pits at Monza photographed and signed by Denise McCluggage. Some of my heroes and a heroine from my youth.

Frankwurst
09-26-2014, 11:26 PM

Yup.

beeatnik
09-27-2014, 12:57 AM

Hey, T.J!

09-27-2014, 12:16 PM
<--Original, post that this quoted asked: Randy, how big is your bicycle? You need to know that for my response to make sense.

I ride a bigger bicycle than you...big man.

This forum needs better emoticons is all I can say. But thanks for giving me the chance to embarass myself.

I'm past 30 posts now and I'm so over bicycling forums.

Randy (OP)

Now that you're sworn into the fraternity, it's time for you to know that it's really Animal House. At least our hazing involves drinking and riding. Bikeforums, on the other hand, ...