PDA

View Full Version : A new Kirk Terraplane is born...

SoCalSteve
03-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi all,

Today Dave sent me pictures of my fillet brazed Terraplane in different progressions of being built. Very nice!

A few specs:

Fillet Brazed
Terraplane option
Sloping top tube 6*
Oversized, Oversized tubing (I wanted beefy and thats what Dave is giving me)
1 1/8" headtube
Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork (to be painted)
and it will have a "Creamsicle" (orange and cream) panel paint scheme with gray decals

I have all the components sitting on a shelf in my wife's office, just waiting for me to install them.

They are:
CK Headset in silver (Dave will install this for me)
Thomson silver stem
Full D/A 7803 Triple set up including D/A 7800 32 spoke wheels laced to new style Open Pro's.
Michelin Pro Race2 700 x 25 clinchers.
7800 pedals
Flight Deck computer
Tacx Tao silver water bottle cages
and of course my trusty Brooks B-17 Champion Special with Ti rails saddle

I've known Dave for several years now as I bid (and subsequently was out bid) on his personal Hors Cat on ebay in 2001. We chatted on the phone then about the DKS rear end and many other things. We have stayed in contact over the years and Dave was very helpful with his knowledge of the Hors Cat when I finally did win one on ebay. He also did the R & D on the STS stem and F1 fork that came with my Hors Cat.

I'm really looking forward to riding and comparing the DKS to the Terraplane rear ends. As you probably know, I am a huge fan of the DKS rear end and find it to be the best handling bike I've ever owned (I've owned many).

When it is finished, I will post pictures of it and eventually give a ride report and a ride comparison.

Steve

Climb01742
03-11-2006, 03:56 AM
cool. the world needs more orange bikes. and dave is a very good guy.

Kevin
03-11-2006, 05:58 AM
I am jealous. :beer:

Kevin

Smiley
03-11-2006, 08:26 AM
"I've known Dave for several years now as I bid (and subsequently was out bid) on his personal Hors Cat on ebay in 2001. We chatted on the phone then about the DKS rear end and many other things."

SoCal , Dave sold his bike on these forums to our very favorite economist geek Flydhest . I was the one that told the Fly to buy Daves DKS which is more a Cross bike then road bike. Fly uses it to commute on when he does not ride his Vanilla fixiee . Anyway Big Dave is a swell guy and his work is right up there with the best in the business. Funny how the DKS and now the Terraplane have come to be his signature in the bike biz. Way too bad he could not continue to refine and develop the real DKS system.

How many bikes do you now have or have on order Steve ? Are you trying to beat SPOKE :)

FierteTi52
03-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Steve,
Great news on the new Kirk. Sounds like a real nice design!
Jeff

SoCalSteve
03-11-2006, 10:30 AM
"I've known Dave for several years now as I bid (and subsequently was out bid) on his personal Hors Cat on ebay in 2001. We chatted on the phone then about the DKS rear end and many other things."

SoCal , Dave sold his bike on these forums to our very favorite economist geek Flydhest . I was the one that told the Fly to buy Daves DKS which is more a Cross bike then road bike. Fly uses it to commute on when he does not ride his Vanilla fixiee . Anyway Big Dave is a swell guy and his work is right up there with the best in the business. Funny how the DKS and now the Terraplane have come to be his signature in the bike biz. Way too bad he could not continue to refine and develop the real DKS system.

How many bikes do you now have or have on order Steve ? Are you trying to beat SPOKE :)

Captain,

Dave had a road DKS as well (the one he sold in '01 on ebay). He also had a MTB that he sold in 02' that I was thinking about (but didnt buy.)

I have a Richard Sachs on order. (4 year wait)
I have the Kirk which is being built now.
I have a Pegoretti Big Leg Emma that is due in the US anytime now

I have 3 Serotta's:
CSI
Ottrott ST
Hors Cat

I have a Colnago C 50
and a NOS Trek Y-Foil from 1998 that has less than 50 miles on it

Oh,least we forget that I have Dave T's beater Schwinn. I'm changing it from a fixie to a single speed.

Probably more than most, but less than DBRK and Tom Byrnes.

Steve

Smiley
03-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Sorry to have doubted you on the DKS thing , Flydhest loves his. So where do you park all these bikes Steve ? And which ones will you re-cycle if you don't like. By the way try and ride a 58 next time so they fit me better :)

SoCalSteve
03-11-2006, 03:06 PM
If it were up to me....they'd all be in the "bike room". When I bought my house, I was single. The original intention was to have a bedroom, an office and a bike room in my 3 bedroom house. Well, my wife came along and she needed a room of her own....

So, the bike room became Sherry's room and we kept her bike and the current bike that I was riding at that time in our bedroom (houses built in the 20's here in Los Angeles have massive master bedrooms). The other bikes ended up hanging in the garage.

Well, a few slowly made their way back in the house. At the moment, I have the Ottrott in the hallway, the C-50 in the bedroom along with Sherry's Merlin. In the dining room are both our beater bikes, both Schwinns from the mid 80's. And, hanging in the garage are the Hors Cat, the CSI (unbuilt at this point) and the Y-Foil. I have 3 more spaces to hang the 3 incoming bikes.

I have a feeling that the 2 beater bikes will end up getting locked up outside under a overhang.

Re-Cycle (cute pun). I would get rid of the CSI, but I havent had a big enough nibble yet. I will end up having 4 steel bikes, so it is the logical choice to be sold.

Steve

Smiley
03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Your lucky Steve as my wife put a moratorium on me and I could not buy anymore bikes till I built a TWO car garage and installed heat and A/C in the space . While I was at it I added 2 bedrooms above with a shared bath . Lets see ... this cost me 25 Meivici's . The good news is I can now add frames to my stable as long as they stay in the garage along with her car and my size cycle and fit studio . I am already planning a spring yard sale to make more room in the garage :)

SoCalSteve
03-14-2006, 05:19 PM
But, I am so happy with the way it came out that I had to show all of you a photo!

Its not the traditional skinny tubed, lugged frame with steel fork....No, its a fillet brazed, oversized tubing, sloping top tube and Ouzo Pro carbon fork.

I asked Dave for beefy and thats what I got!

Now off to JB for my creamsicle panel paint scheme.

Steve

rphetteplace
03-14-2006, 05:34 PM
mmmm perfect and just my size :cool: