PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 2015 mechanical installation video

Joachim
09-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Very neat futures such as the secure shifting mechanism and the chain security device (their chain catcher)....And its in Italian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbtOe6gJSX4

thirdgenbird
09-24-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't speak Italian, but that was enough to make me really want it. Those derailleurs rock, form and function.

Steve in SLO
09-24-2014, 07:01 PM
The components looks cool, but I want those tools!

christian
09-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Way too much finishing tape!

That was way more fun than they probably intended to be. Happycampyer - you gotta hang some of this on the Cyfac. That would look hot!

Cat3roadracer
09-24-2014, 07:14 PM
All with white gloves on. Cool.

ceolwulf
09-24-2014, 07:57 PM
I really need to learn Italian :)

Also I want one of those front derailleur gauges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
09-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I really need to learn Italian :)

Also I want one of those front derailleur gauges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know the Campagnolo answer but I'd love to try a 2015 front der with older ERGO to see how it worked. Both the 2014/older and 2015 front ders are designed with the 3 clicks to big ring, 'feature'.

I'd also like to take a RH lever apart to see what's different. Methinks just the spool dimensions..and maybe not even that. Requested a PDF parts blowup from Campagnolo NA..none on the website yet.

thirdgenbird
09-25-2014, 07:26 AM
I know the Campagnolo answer but I'd love to try a 2015 front der with older ERGO to see how it worked. Both the 2014/older and 2015 front ders are designed with the 3 clicks to big ring, 'feature'.

I have my pre-QS record 10 stuff shifting in three clicks. It will go to the big ring when I'm standing with no noise or complaint.

I'd also like to take a RH lever apart to see what's different. Methinks just the spool dimensions..and maybe not even that. Requested a PDF parts blowup from Campagnolo NA..none on the website yet.

Someone (service center?) on weight weenies said they have tested and claimed the spool was the only change in the RH shifter. I wouldn't be surprised if a LH spool change made the FD work as well. Maybe not as well as an actual 2015 lever, but improved over a 2014 setup. I know they did say the parts were not compatible with old right out of the box. Can't swap hoods either.

happycampyer
09-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Way too much finishing tape!

That was way more fun than they probably intended to be. Happycampyer - you gotta hang some of this on the Cyfac. That would look hot!

The Cyfac will probably get the axe before it gets a new group. The '15 stuff looks great. My next new Campy group will most likely be EPS though.

FlashUNC
09-25-2014, 08:28 AM
The Cyfac will probably get the axe before it gets a new group. The '15 stuff looks great. My next new Campy group will most likely be EPS though.

Do it. The EPS stuff is ridiculously good.

dzxc
09-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Love this video. I think it moved.

one60
09-25-2014, 10:37 AM
thats one difference that a lot of home wrenches used to UT might get wrong...

oldpotatoe
09-25-2014, 10:47 AM
thats one difference that a lot of home wrenches used to UT might get wrong...

Look close, think that's LH crank, with Wavy washer. What it needs tho is grasso.

one60
09-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Had to watch it twice to catch that...

lhuerta
09-25-2014, 11:00 AM
...chain is too short by at least one link at minute 8:09 and again at minute 10:40 where rear der hanger is screaming in pain, about to get torn off the frame on bib/big combo. Shame on Campagnolo....otherwise, new gruppo looks beautiful. Lou

oldpotatoe
09-25-2014, 11:09 AM
...chain is too short by at least one link at minute 8:09 and again at minute 10:40 where rear der hanger is screaming in pain, about to get torn off the frame on bib/big combo. Shame on Campagnolo....otherwise, new gruppo looks beautiful. Lou

Nice stuff, love the language but yeh, I'd add one link.

bikeridah
09-25-2014, 01:46 PM
One of the best installation videos I've seen. Tools are sweet, probably cost as much as the groupo! Never seen that front derailleur spacer before, genius.

oldpotatoe
09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
One of the best installation videos I've seen. Tools are sweet, probably cost as much as the groupo! Never seen that front derailleur spacer before, genius.

Stiffener for braze on, needed on many carbon frames.

Or the plastic fder distance tool thing...CAmpagnolo has always harped about distance above big ring and alignment...

Joachim
09-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Stiffener for braze on, needed on many carbon frames.

Or is he talking about the fd positioning tool? A local wrench managed to get one of those from Campagnolo NA.

GeorgeTSquirrel
09-25-2014, 11:07 PM

What was the point of having the adapter from 2009 on the current group? I'm referring to part FD-CE011 that was used on the 2009 FD (with the 2007-8 QS that was designed for the longer-arm FD)... are they suggesting that the same part will allow a 2014 FD to work with the 2015 shifters? Seems that way...

eBAUMANN
09-26-2014, 12:14 AM
i like how he says "record"

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 06:37 AM
What was the point of having the adapter from 2009 on the current group? I'm referring to part FD-CE011 that was used on the 2009 FD (with the 2007-8 QS that was designed for the longer-arm FD)... are they suggesting that the same part will allow a 2014 FD to work with the 2015 shifters? Seems that way...

Or if the cable rubs the linkage, you add that thingy to move the cable over(?)...I donno..I only know 'merican'.

saab2000
09-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Has anyone seen this stuff in person yet? I'm putting together a Giant carbon bike and have been planning on D/A 9000 for it (and that's still the leading contender) but this video makes a new Campagnolo group set seem kind of interesting........

I've seen nothing on availability.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Has anyone seen this stuff in person yet? I'm putting together a Giant carbon bike and have been planning on D/A 9000 for it (and that's still the leading contender) but this video makes a new Campagnolo group set seem kind of interesting........

I've seen nothing on availability.

Starting to come to the big distributors in the US...mostly in Europe right now, with some limited OEM..I think Record would be a better choice than DA...but I've got a Campagnolo tattoo also.

saab2000
09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Starting to come to the big distributors in the US...mostly in Europe right now, with some limited OEM..I think Record would be a better choice than DA...but I've got a Campagnolo tattoo also.

I've been a Campagnolo guy for years and have it on most of my bikes, so I don't need to be sold on it's quality and desirability. But as an objective person it's impossible to deny that Shimano stuff works extremely well too.

I got 9000 on my 'gravel bike' and it just works. No fuss.

We'll see. One thing I'm not yet ready for is Sram. But I'm not starting a debate. I just want to see what a season on D/A is like. I've only actually got a few hundred miles on my Shimano stuff but all of them have been good. Same with the Campagnolo.

The price difference is not an insignificant factor as well. I'm guessing a Record group will be $1k more than a D/A group.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 08:19 AM
I've been a Campagnolo guy for years and have it on most of my bikes, so I don't need to be sold on it's quality and desirability. But as an objective person it's impossible to deny that Shimano stuff works extremely well too.

I got 9000 on my 'gravel bike' and it just works. No fuss.

We'll see. One thing I'm not yet ready for is Sram. But I'm not starting a debate. I just want to see what a season on D/A is like. I've only actually got a few hundred miles on my Shimano stuff but all of them have been good. Same with the Campagnolo.

The price difference is not an insignificant factor as well. I'm guessing a Record group will be $1k more than a D/A group.

Doubt it, look at suggested MSRP..yes, I know nobody buys it that way but that's the only way to compare the 2. ...

Shimano is like a high end Toyota, Record like a high end Audi. scram is like Yugo.

saab2000
09-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Shimano is like a high end Toyota, Record like a high end Audi.

I prefer to think of Shimano as Honda. Maybe Honda F1 in the D/A stuff. Campagnolo is Ferrari. :D

We'll see. In a battle of the two, there are no losers. They're both worthy of my attention.

What I'd like to see though are some real world 2015 Campagnolo reviews rather than the press stuff. That's all contrived. I'd like to read about real users' impressions of the shifting.

I know what D/A is like (slick and precise) and I know what Campagnolo is like (solid). I'd like to hear if the slight changes in the derailleurs make any real world difference or is it just talk.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 08:35 AM
I prefer to think of Shimano as Honda. Maybe Honda F1 in the D/A stuff. Campagnolo is Ferrari. :D

We'll see. In a battle of the two, there are no losers. They're both worthy of my attention.

What I'd like to see though are some real world 2015 Campagnolo reviews rather than the press stuff. That's all contrived. I'd like to read about real users' impressions of the shifting.

I know what D/A is like (slick and precise) and I know what Campagnolo is like (solid). I'd like to hear if the slight changes in the derailleurs make any real world difference or is it just talk.

Doubt it..good stuff made a little more 'slick', IMHO.

AngryScientist
09-26-2014, 08:41 AM
i've got a lugged steel frame in fabrication right now, cant wait for wide availability of this stuff. as usual, chrous will be the best value per function group, but i might spring for record for this project. cant wait!

Lionel
09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
For your Giant a Chorus 2015 would look the part IMO and make it stand out as most Giants wear shimano or sram.

thirdgenbird
09-26-2014, 12:00 PM
For your Giant a Chorus 2015 would look the part IMO and make it stand out as most Giants wear shimano or sram.

My thought as well.

gfk_velo
09-27-2014, 01:39 PM

LH lever - its a real-world doesn't work.

Campagnolo, just like SRAM and Shimano spend a small fortune developing a product so that they will work if used as specified, then a bunch of guys come long and try to re-engineer something that has already been engineered and when it doesn't work as specified, get all uppity and upset ...

If you look at the design of the FD it will be immediately clear to you that the pull ratios are a significant degree different to the previous FD and that if you try to persuade the gear to work with the old lever, not only will it not work as specified but that there is a risk of damaging lever 2 by overstressing it on upshift ...

As for the RD, the pull ratios are again significantly different and we have tried it in the workshops at Velotech and we know that it won't shift with the old lever.

The likelihood is that even if the exploded diagram is published, it will not be fully accurate as the number of spare parts that are available for the 2015 levers is likely to be very limited - very much in the same vein as the spare parts diagrams of the rear derailleur top pivot bolt..

oldpotatoe
09-27-2014, 02:32 PM
LH lever - its a real-world doesn't work.

Campagnolo, just like SRAM and Shimano spend a small fortune developing a product so that they will work if used as specified, then a bunch of guys come long and try to re-engineer something that has already been engineered and when it doesn't work as specified, get all uppity and upset ...

If you look at the design of the FD it will be immediately clear to you that the pull ratios are a significant degree different to the previous FD and that if you try to persuade the gear to work with the old lever, not only will it not work as specified but that there is a risk of damaging lever 2 by overstressing it on upshift ...

As for the RD, the pull ratios are again significantly different and we have tried it in the workshops at Velotech and we know that it won't shift with the old lever.

The likelihood is that even if the exploded diagram is published, it will not be fully accurate as the number of spare parts that are available for the 2015 levers is likely to be very limited - very much in the same vein as the spare parts diagrams of the rear derailleur top pivot bolt..

Very company-speak. CAmpagnolo says you can't use a 11s Rder with 10s ergo( you can) and post 2000 rear der with pre2000 ergo( you can) and way back when, no 9s ders with 8s ergo( works fine), so excuse me if I want to see for myself if a 2015 fder will work with a 2009-2014 left US ergo. I'm sure somebody says 2009-2014 Centur/Veloce with a scram rear der won't shift shimano 10s spacing....even if it does.

I still want to take 2014 and 2015 levers, strip them down to parade rest and compare each . I suspect the innards are unchanged except for take up spool dimensions but I'll let ya know.

But does it works best if all matched? Sure but it's bike stuff not the Mars/maven mission.

merlincustom1
09-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Luv the spud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfk_velo
12-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Very company-speak. CAmpagnolo says you can't use a 11s Rder with 10s ergo( you can) and post 2000 rear der with pre2000 ergo( you can) and way back when, no 9s ders with 8s ergo( works fine), so excuse me if I want to see for myself if a 2015 fder will work with a 2009-2014 left US ergo. I'm sure somebody says 2009-2014 Centur/Veloce with a scram rear der won't shift shimano 10s spacing....even if it does.

I still want to take 2014 and 2015 levers, strip them down to parade rest and compare each . I suspect the innards are unchanged except for take up spool dimensions but I'll let ya know.

But does it works best if all matched? Sure but it's bike stuff not the Mars/maven mission.

It depends what you mean by "work" really.

Me, regardless of whether I am working with Campagnolo, SRAM or Shimano (and I do work regularly on all three in competition and sportif / gran fondo situations), I'd rather fit it as specified and know it'll work as designed, first time, every time - and know that it'll go on working the way it's supposed to without any need for fettling.

With a bit of fannying around you can get pretty much anything to work with pretty much anything - the question is how well it will work, what compromises need to be made and how long it will take to persuade it to work ... and what damage might be done that hasn't been considered by the mechanic (but probably has by the designer) ...

Often times, too, a good mechainic can get something to work in one particular set of circumstances - but that same combination might not work in any other set of circumstances, or maybe when parts are partly worn - the parameters for (especially 11s) index systems to work are pretty tight and there isn't really much comparison with the older 8 and 9s systems where the parameters are a good deal slacker - so in conswquence, the 10 / 11s hybrid shifter / mech doesn't work at all well with rear triangles at the short end of the tolerance range or at the extremes of the available sprocket range - the spec is for all combinations to work provided the frame and the assembly fall into the spec / tolerance and no-one has ever pretended any different.

Other examples are legion - but the obvious ones are the extreme ones - Osymmetric rings and their propensity to drop the chain and / or eat FDs, composite shift lever failures which are generally down to incorrect choice of FD / incorrect set up / incompatible chainwheel sets, LH Shimano STIs that fail through being asked to shift SRAM FDs with different pull ratios so the gated ratchets eventually fail ... One bike manufacturer a few years ago actually went to market with (IIRC) Campagnolo 9s QS shifters operating a pair of Shimano 9s derailleurs mated to no-name Shimano-clone 8s cassette and a KMC chain, using a cheap, no-name chainset. It worked when everything was new, with really careful set-up ... but it sure as hell didn't when there was a sniff of wear and tear on anything. I had the misfortune to have to try and sort out the ensuing mess for the end-users ... not fun.

The list is long, the consequences occasionally painful, often expensive.

I was at pains to point out that we have actually tried a 2014 / 2015 hybrid and it doesn't work - because whilst we are the main Campag SC for the UK, we are not part of Campag and if it worked we'd be as excited as the next man / woman ... not least as it might give us a get out of jail card when we really needed one.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2014, 06:12 AM
It depends what you mean by "work" really.

Me, regardless of whether I am working with Campagnolo, SRAM or Shimano (and I do work regularly on all three in competition and sportif / gran fondo situations), I'd rather fit it as specified and know it'll work as designed, first time, every time - and know that it'll go on working the way it's supposed to without any need for fettling.

With a bit of fannying around you can get pretty much anything to work with pretty much anything - the question is how well it will work, what compromises need to be made and how long it will take to persuade it to work ... and what damage might be done that hasn't been considered by the mechanic (but probably has by the designer) ...

Often times, too, a good mechainic can get something to work in one particular set of circumstances - but that same combination might not work in any other set of circumstances, or maybe when parts are partly worn - the parameters for (especially 11s) index systems to work are pretty tight and there isn't really much comparison with the older 8 and 9s systems where the parameters are a good deal slacker - so in conswquence, the 10 / 11s hybrid shifter / mech doesn't work at all well with rear triangles at the short end of the tolerance range or at the extremes of the available sprocket range - the spec is for all combinations to work provided the frame and the assembly fall into the spec / tolerance and no-one has ever pretended any different.

Other examples are legion - but the obvious ones are the extreme ones - Osymmetric rings and their propensity to drop the chain and / or eat FDs, composite shift lever failures which are generally down to incorrect choice of FD / incorrect set up / incompatible chainwheel sets, LH Shimano STIs that fail through being asked to shift SRAM FDs with different pull ratios so the gated ratchets eventually fail ... One bike manufacturer a few years ago actually went to market with (IIRC) Campagnolo 9s QS shifters operating a pair of Shimano 9s derailleurs mated to no-name Shimano-clone 8s cassette and a KMC chain, using a cheap, no-name chainset. It worked when everything was new, with really careful set-up ... but it sure as hell didn't when there was a sniff of wear and tear on anything. I had the misfortune to have to try and sort out the ensuing mess for the end-users ... not fun.

The list is long, the consequences occasionally painful, often expensive.

I was at pains to point out that we have actually tried a 2014 / 2015 hybrid and it doesn't work - because whilst we are the main Campag SC for the UK, we are not part of Campag and if it worked we'd be as excited as the next man / woman ... not least as it might give us a get out of jail card when we really needed one.

Thanks for another answer about 2014/15 Campag stuff being intercompatible. I don't doubt what you say and the above is a great overview on the BIG window of 'what works'. I had a gent with Campagnolo 8s shifters/ERGO and a XTR rear der come in for a tube. Said the shifting 'works'. 10s shifters, 9s cogsets, mismatched chains. The 'call' was always a 'really??.

But I would still like to try a 2015 FD and older, US left lever. I would also like to see the innards of the shifter to see if the spool can be swapped, to see if that's what makes it 2015 RD compatible.

cash05458
12-09-2014, 03:48 PM
man, that is italiano freak porn...hell, when do the electric radar brakes show up?

those white gloves creep me out...like something outta Pasolini movie where the bishops beat up on the homeless guys...I am going to stick with my record 9 speeds with those weird cables...:mad:

and I am still trying to figure out how many watts I waste via those finger pulls...

soulspinner
12-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Ya, the only addition I could see wanting to my 11 speed would be even better shifting on the fd.

hainy
12-10-2014, 03:02 PM
I am replacing 10 speed centaur with 2015 Chorus FD, RD, Gear shifters and 11 speed chain rings. Being installed tomorrow so I will let you know what I think.

Hainy

soulspinner
12-11-2014, 05:32 AM
I am replacing 10 speed centaur with 2015 Chorus FD, RD, Gear shifters and 11 speed chain rings. Being installed tomorrow so I will let you know what I think.

Hainy

Cool