PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on a mobile bike shop concept

camchris1
09-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey All,
A buddy with over 20 years of bike mechanic experience is considering a plan for a mobile (van) bike shop. The rig would be outfitted with all the tools of the trade and bikes could be pucked up and returned depending on the scope of the work.
Any thoughts or reactions to the idea? For or against? Suggestions or concerns?
There are obviously many details to work out but opening up this thread to a broad group that we have could be very informative.

Thanks!

jtakeda
09-23-2014, 09:45 PM
I've seen a few different mobile bike shops in downtown SF.

Maybe check them out and see how they're doing? Don't remember the name unfortunately but one was parked outside the sales force building so they were probably working on employee bikes there.

rcnute
09-23-2014, 10:13 PM
:banana:

Ryan

Pelican
09-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeah, because Pets.com is what he's proposing. :bike:

This is actually a great idea, being done here in the Bay Area by Beeline Bikes (https://www.beelinebikes.com/). If you've got the experienced mechanic, and you can keep your prices reasonable, you'll make money. The mobile mechanic van saves a ton of expenses versus a brick and mortar store, and potentially deliver better service to the customer. Most IBDs make 40-50% of their revenue on service, so you'll be eating at the core of their business. Good luck with it!

pdmtong
09-23-2014, 10:57 PM
The guy who used to head service and another of the top mechanics at my LBS joined Beeline over the past 18 months. No issues with the. LBS but after many years there it was time for a change and this happened to be it

cat6
09-24-2014, 12:03 AM
when i lived in the bay area several folks i worked with had their bike serviced by a mobile guy. he'd wrench on their bikes in the parking lot at work and had a great reputation. seems like a great business for a veteran mechanic. best of luck to your friend.

distanc3
09-24-2014, 12:28 AM
In Vancouver we have http://www.velofix.com/ which is a franchise maybe you can read up not their service and get some insight

oliver1850
09-24-2014, 12:38 AM
If he can come up with the inventory, he might do like Tiger Tom Pistone and show up at races and other organized events. Tom was a life saver when you needed a part at the track. Great to see he's still with us:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pistone

ceewho
09-24-2014, 02:39 AM
I moved recently, which has made going to my normal mechanic a schlep, especially during normal business hours. Especially since I want to spend that extra time I get during the day to ride. Thus, it'd be nice if my wrench were mobile.

I would hate to pay a markup for transportation though. I see how pricey those food trucks are...

tmf
09-24-2014, 03:32 AM
I was thinking about this a year ago, and did a little research. It looks like they are pretty successful in London. Areas with large amounts of bike commuting seem to be a good source of business. They come service your bike while your at work. In London, some of the mobile bike outfits provide loaner bikes while yours is being serviced (if needed).

rePhil
09-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Insurance

JWDR
09-24-2014, 05:43 AM
Here in Seoul, the mobile bike shops set up on the side of the trail. Depending on which one, they will do everything from fix a flat, to true a wheel, replace a derailleur, to sell you a complete set of riding apparel including shoes and helmet.

Climb01742
09-24-2014, 06:06 AM
I've often wished this idea existed here in Boston. I think it fills a need. I have no clue if you can create a viable business model doing it but my gut is in a bike-dense city there is the demand if you can build enough awareness of the service and price it right.

A service only model fits in with so many riders sourcing parts online.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Hey All,
A buddy with over 20 years of bike mechanic experience is considering a plan for a mobile (van) bike shop. The rig would be outfitted with all the tools of the trade and bikes could be pucked up and returned depending on the scope of the work.
There are obviously many details to work out but opening up this thread to a broad group that we have could be very informative.

Thanks!

Is it a mobile shop..repairs done 'there' or pickup and delivery..or both?

I think it just depends on where it may be. I guess it would be nice to call and have the van show up but there is going to be lots of time spent that is unproductive($ cost with no income) in transportation, particularly if he's a one man show. I'm not sure bike riders see all that much value added by having the shop come to them.

I know of a bike fit, sell ya a bike guy in NYC was fairly successful coming to the client's office or whatever but that was very high end.

I was pitched for years by the owner of a local delivery biz to have them do pickup and delivery but I always said no, cuz I WANTED these potential customers to come in...'gotta have the magazine, hat, tube', etc.

oldpotatoe
09-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Yeah, because Pets.com is what he's proposing. :bike:

This is actually a great idea, being done here in the Bay Area by Beeline Bikes (https://www.beelinebikes.com/). If you've got the experienced mechanic, and you can keep your prices reasonable, you'll make money. The mobile mechanic van saves a ton of expenses versus a brick and mortar store, and potentially deliver better service to the customer. Most IBDs make 40-50% of their revenue on service, so you'll be eating at the core of their business. Good luck with it!

I think the other thing to consider is the ability to source parts from distributors w/o a brick and mortar location. Some won't sell unless you have one, even if it's in a van. Because lower overhead, lower prices, 'unfair' to brick and mortar, the distributor's core bu$iness..

Gummee
09-24-2014, 07:48 AM
I think the other thing to consider is the ability to source parts from distributors w/o a brick and mortar location. Some won't sell unless you have one, even if it's in a van. Because lower overhead, lower prices, 'unfair' to brick and mortar, the distributor's core bu$iness..

That was my stumbling block.

I needed: yellow pages ad, pic of storefront, etc etc

M

texbike
09-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Hey All,

Thanks!

There was a guy here in Austin called "Dr. Bike" that did this for quite a few years. He did repairs out of an ice cream-style truck and usually had the goods needed stocked in the truck to do most repairs on-site. He had a great reputation. Probably not the set-up that I'd go to for high-end bike repair but it was great for your typical bike stuff.

Not sure what happened to him...

Texbike

berserk87
09-24-2014, 09:18 AM
I have a friend that did this for awhile but could not sustain it as a full-time gig. It's hard to get business in our market over a work week doing this. His only chance was at charity and group rides here and there, where he could make a few bucks on the fly. He currently manages my favorite local shop so he is now doing well.

sparky33
09-24-2014, 09:46 AM
More and more mobile businesses around here: car tires, dog wash, dry-cleaning, etc. People who have more money than time do pay for convenience. However, 90% of cyclists don't know or don't care enough about their bicycles to pay up for convenience, so you are really catering to a small crowd of enthusiasts with money.

...That said, I would pay a decent amount to have someone come clean and tune my bike since I can't do it as often as I should...

EDS
09-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Here in NYC we have this:

https://bikeridersnyc.com/

Also have a number of repair outfits that focus almost exclusively on repairs, etc.

Anarchist
09-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Hey All,

Thanks!

Velofix.com

Ken Robb
09-24-2014, 10:50 AM
1-Time:
A-How long to get to clients?
1) distance, traffic at different times
2) how many clients at each location
3)rain may slow traffic: snow will absolutely slow traffic
2-Working environment
A-Is there room in the vehicle?
1)work space
2)room for supplies, components
3)where do you keep client bikes before/after they are serviced
B-Will it be warm/cool enough year round; rain or shine?
C-Can you find suitable parking/work spaces?
D-Can you buy from distributors/manufacturers at wholesale prices if you don't have a "real" permanent location?
E-Can you get any required licenses without a permanent storefront?

Ken Robb
09-24-2014, 10:51 AM
There is at least one business doing mobile service in San Diego but I don't know how they are doing.

Ken Robb
09-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Hey All,

Thanks!

"pucked up" doesn't make sense: Either the "p" or the "u' must be substituted for another letter to get the real meaning. :)

rwerkudara
09-24-2014, 11:02 AM
If a mobile bike shop is successful, why wouldn't a local brick and mortar open a "mobile" storefront to get back lost business?

nooneline
09-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I think a mobile bike shop would be most successful planting itself in busy, well-traffic'ed areas to get attention and clients.

My concern is that the pickup/drop-off element would compete for time with the repair element.

yngpunk
09-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Used to see ad for mobile bike service on Craigslist in Chicago, don't know if they are still around. Their selling point (at least according to the ad) was lower cost repairs/fixes rather than the convenience. But I agree with what others have said, probably works best in areas with a high population density and perhaps few or far between bike shops. Seems like in Chicago, there was a bike shop on every corner

rilz
09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
I have seen this sort of the thing in the Sacramento area, but I think it was more along the lines of come to you when your bike breaks down on a ride and fix it then. I don't think they did very well.

k-mac
09-24-2014, 03:42 PM
I've often thought about this same concept, but being in the Midwest, what do you do during the winter? I can't see getting much business when it's 10 degrees out with 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Saint Vitus
09-24-2014, 04:00 PM
There is at least one business doing mobile service in San Diego but I don't know how they are doing.

If you're thinking of Anywhere Bike Repair, they're doing pretty good it seems and have been at it around 3 or so years here. They've had some media exposure and the owner sets up several 'pit stops' with bananas and water (gratis) in the more trafficked areas of SD. The one at the top of Torrey Pines is usually staffed by a mechanic (the owner). He opened a store front last year over in Kearney Mesa.

Saint Vitus
09-24-2014, 04:02 PM
I've often thought about this same concept, but being in the Midwest, what do you do during the winter? I can't see getting much business when it's 10 degrees out with 6 inches of snow on the ground.

That's the time to get people's gear sorted before the season hits! You could also do training seminars or some such to ease cabin fever.

dogdriver
09-24-2014, 04:07 PM
A guy in Park City does this and seems to be busy. He lives just up the street and looks pretty happy when I ask him how things are going... Here's the web site:

http://flyingsprocket.com

Granted, our town is pretty gentrified, and people can't be bothered with the trouble of taking their bike to a shop for service (a little tongue-in-cheek, but I'll guess that Austin has a group of similar potential clients).

Climb01742
09-24-2014, 04:20 PM
If the wrench in a van was a nice guy and had a customer service attitude, he'd be ahead of 99% of LBS.;)

Seriously, attitude could be a huge point of difference and advantage over dick-and-mortar stores.

camchris1
09-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Thank you all for the many great and honest comments! I'll pass these along to my buddy. He's a great guy and will be humbled at the responses.

Thank you Paceline!

cmbicycles
09-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Get a truck with a snow plow:)
I briefly looked at the idea, as a side gig. There are several vendors who do work with the mobile business model, but some won't. If he is creative and has a good business sense to go with the wrenching experience it would work in the right market. Ya have to account for the off season though depending on where you run the business.

dzxc
09-25-2014, 01:09 PM
They have a couple people that do something similar around here. Except it's a rotating bike shop. They basically have a schedule and are in a different place each day of the week. Makes it super easy to get repairs while I'm at work.

carpediemracing
09-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Late to the party but:
- guy that I used to work for, when he had a shop in the 80s and 90s, got back into the bike biz by doing an on-call repair business. After a number of years (3? 4?) he opened a new brick and mortar LBS. Not local to me.
- LBS that used to compete with my LBS went under. He is now a mobile shop in the same area as the guy mentioned above. His biz has been going on for about the same time.
- LBS local to me went under. Still in existence as a mobile shop. He goes to your location, works on bike, leaves. He is seasonal only.
- Local guy started a mobile repair business. He shuttered it a few years ago to go back to work full time. I don't know if it was seasonal. His main goal was to raise two kids to school age, after that he returned to the workforce.

With vehicles you have a pretty low "rent rate" if you will, at least for this area. Instead of paying $2-10k/month it might be $500 payment + fuel etc. First guy used a regular full size van, second guy used a pickup truck with a tool-type cap (meaning it has doors on the side for tools etc, rather than just windows).

I spoke with the first guy at some length about his business, also the third guy. First guy doesn't "surcharge" but has slightly higher labor rates. The whole "don't have to drop it off and then pick it up" really helps since that might be 1-2 hours time for a customer in the area. Third guy I don't remember if he surcharges or not.

First guy had a working relationship with a particular shop. If the customer expressed interest in a new bike the guy would sell the bike for the shop, the shop would pay him some minimal amount ($50?), and he'd deliver the bike to the customer.

Third guy still has his fit bike gizmo (that I used when he was still an LBS) so he also does fits.

For parts they have no problems getting parts etc. They don't have access to some distributors (I imagine they don't pass QBP's requirements) but if a rep sees their truck it usually cinches the deal for them. The LBS->Mobile is easier, starting as a mobile is harder.

The thing is that it's a limited amount of work. You earn money based on convenience, personality, and total integrity. I know that's supposed to be how LBSs work also but with a mobile shop it's usually the owner/proprietor interacting with the client so there's no hiding behind the "I'm going to fire that employee" screen.

The convenience is a huge factor. To not have to schlep the bikes to the shop, then deal with the help filling out forms etc, then leaving, then coming back to pick it up, then driving back, that has the potential to be a lot of driving. Instead you pull the bikes out of the garage, wait a bit, and now you can ride the bike and make sure it's okay before you sign off on the work.

MadRocketSci
09-25-2014, 02:33 PM
If the wrench in a van was a nice guy and had a customer service attitude, he'd be ahead of 99% of LBS.;)

Seriously, attitude could be a huge point of difference and advantage over dick-and-mortar stores.

Geez climb anyone in a LBS being a dick to you brings this to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTtVVHg41kU

PETER REID
09-25-2014, 07:38 PM
I have been doing this for the last 20 years or so at Triathlons, road races, charity rides etc. east of the Mississippi. Its fun, it pays the bills and you are your own boss.

bikinchris
09-25-2014, 08:44 PM
I don't have photos of the interior yet:

http://www.eaglewheel.us/Workvan.htm

But I have shelving all along the left side and the right side has drawers for tools and small parts.

Be aware that wholesalers like Quality and Excel will not want to open an account for you to buy Shimano parts, unless you are tied to a brick and mortar store.
Jerks. if anyone has an argument to get them to open me up, let me know.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 07:04 AM
I don't have photos of the interior yet:

http://www.eaglewheel.us/Workvan.htm

But I have shelving all along the left side and the right side has drawers for tools and small parts.

Be aware that wholesalers like Quality and Excel will not want to open an account for you to buy Shimano parts, unless you are tied to a brick and mortar store.
Jerks. if anyone has an argument to get them to open me up, let me know.

Excel isn't a distributor, they are a MO outfit.

Easy, if you want to be supported by QBP, have a store front..even if you DO most of your 'stuff' mobile.

For good or ill, brick and mortar shops is QBP bread and butter..w/o them QBP would not exist so I don't think they are being 'jerks' when they try to protect them from a very, very low fixed cost, by comparison, competing biz.

I had $13,000 PER MONTH, fixed costs..1/3 was rent. If a mobile guy, with 1/10 of my expenses opened in Boulder, and charged $35 for my $90 tuneup, I don't think I would be happy.

Talk to J&B..they opened a guy who's biz is in his kitchen, so they would probably open you. BUT don't think any distributor who is trying to support IBDs are being 'jerks'.

Gummee
09-26-2014, 07:33 AM
BUT don't think any distributor who is trying to support IBDs are being 'jerks'.
One can make the argument that a mobile repair guy IS an IBD. If he gets a KHS accout, a BTI accout, or J&B account, etc they all have bikes/frames you can order for a customer...

No, he doesn't have the overhead a brick and mortar shop does, but essentially, he's doing the same job(s)

I will agree that you need to look at the mobile guys more carefully to weed out those guys that just want to scam the system.

M

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 08:03 AM
One can make the argument that a mobile repair guy IS an IBD. If he gets a KHS accout, a BTI accout, or J&B account, etc they all have bikes/frames you can order for a customer...

No, he doesn't have the overhead a brick and mortar shop does, but essentially, he's doing the same job(s)

I will agree that you need to look at the mobile guys more carefully to weed out those guys that just want to scam the system.

M

You could also 'argue' that if I set up a shop in my garage, hung a sign, I was a brick and mortar also..but really I wouldn't be.

Mark McM
09-26-2014, 10:19 AM
For good or ill, brick and mortar shops is QBP bread and butter..w/o them QBP would not exist so I don't think they are being 'jerks' when they try to protect them from a very, very low fixed cost, by comparison, competing biz.

Then they seem to have contradictory programs. QBP provides an inventory/ordering system to mail order retailers that allows customers to view SKUs and stock status to practically their whole product catalog and order them online. The ordering system still goes through the mail order retailer, and retailers provide their own pricing/shipping/policies, etc., but it clearly shows that QBP supports mail order business.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Then they seem to have contradictory programs. QBP provides an inventory/ordering system to mail order retailers that allows customers to view SKUs and stock status to practically their whole product catalog and order them online. The ordering system still goes through the mail order retailer, and retailers provide their own pricing/shipping/policies, etc., but it clearly shows that QBP supports mail order business.

And everyone of those MO places have some sort of storefront. Not about MO vs Storefront, but how 'IBD' a van is.

josephr
09-26-2014, 11:31 AM
make sure your shop dog isn't prone to wandering off or chasing bikes.

Mark McM
09-26-2014, 12:41 PM
And everyone of those MO places have some sort of storefront. Not about MO vs Storefront, but how 'IBD' a van is.

And many of those MO places do far more volume through mail order than they do through their store front.

As far as mobile bike shops - what difference does it make whether the customer goes to the store or the store comes to the customer? They still have a physical presence in their sales area and face-to-face contact with their customers. In that way, they are more 'IBD' than a place like Harris Cyclery or A.E. Bike.

GearNut
09-26-2014, 02:55 PM
I assisted another forum member with his endeavor and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cyclist assisted were almost always very appreciative to our coming to them. I know it would be great where I work, we are in the labs all day and then ride after work. Seems like folks need help pretty regularly. Once his reputation gets out there, I would think this model would work well.

classtimesailer
09-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Around here, there are mobile hairdressers, car detailers, dog groomers, vets, and many guys that I ride with have others maintain/repair their bikes. My wife is a mobile PT. Why do you think I have not seen the Mobile Bicycle Service vehicle? Seems like a no brainer if you have tools, expertise and personality.

AustinHorse
09-26-2014, 03:53 PM
I created a NYC version with the help of friends this spring. Our focus is as a not for profit, so we charge day rates to set up for corporate events and donate our services to community events. Check it out here:
http://www.bikeyard.org/
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuycaQcCUAA3-Y-.jpg

paredown
09-26-2014, 03:55 PM
"pucked up" doesn't make sense: Either the "p" or the "u' must be substituted for another letter to get the real meaning. :)

Nah, that's a Canadianism that refers to the situation where there have been too many shots on goal.:banana:

oldpotatoe
09-26-2014, 04:10 PM
And many of those MO places do far more volume through mail order than they do through their store front.

As far as mobile bike shops - what difference does it make whether the customer goes to the store or the store comes to the customer? They still have a physical presence in their sales area and face-to-face contact with their customers. In that way, they are more 'IBD' than a place like Harris Cyclery or A.E. Bike.

Yep, probably 90% of Excel $ is MO.

Ask QBP, I brought up that getting product may be a problem. And the issues eith a low overhead 'hobby' type biz compared to a storefront. And my point that QBP aren't being 'jerks' if they want a competitive to other locale business.

bikinchris
09-26-2014, 07:49 PM
So anyone who has paid off their building should not be considered an IBD? if only how much overhead they have is considered, then that would be a problem right? After enough years, the building is paid and amortized and only a few bills remain. What if a bike shop has very low rent? Should QBP open them? There was a shop that recently closed. The brothers who owned it got a free shop. The shop had been paid off by their father about the time they were born. They paid 0 for their rent and property taxes were low.

I pay a van note every month, I pay insurance based on revenue like any brick and mortar bike shop. I have a resale permit with the state. I collect sales tax and pay it to the state, parish and city. I pay a business permit and my phone lines cost as much as any shop. I pay property tax on everything the "shop" owns. The state and federal government certainly think I am a bike shop. I pay taxes on my business to the IRS and they also think I am a business.

I do not discount work to anyone. I have often done work for other shops. Seems like few can build wheels anymore. I went through the trouble of taking a Barnett's course and I have 37 years experience.
I was told to jump through hoops to open an account with QBP and to go through Excel to open an account with SBS. In the end, I was lead on and lied to.

buddybikes
09-26-2014, 08:26 PM
where in a dense city like Boston, NY, San Fran can one stop a van - setup a workstand and work on a bike? Was in Boston today - 1 parking spot came open and like a fist fight for who jumped into it.

weather is another factor

people work during the day

parts - how many versions of things are there today

Sure this may be a pet project for someone who doesn't need much money to live but real business, I doubt it.

nicrump
09-27-2014, 03:53 PM
That was my stumbling block.

I needed: yellow pages ad, pic of storefront, etc etc

M

i started my home "garage" repair shop with pick up and drop off service back in '95 and the only dist that wouldn't talk was QBP and i wasn't interested in cost plus 10 anyways. i even got my shimano account back then.

i think in 2014 it is just as easy. you just have to present it to them right. doesn't hurt to have good credit and industry refs.

kinda like this.

I pay a van note every month, I pay insurance based on revenue like any brick and mortar bike shop. I have a resale permit with the state. I collect sales tax and pay it to the state, parish and city. I pay a business permit and my phone lines cost as much as any shop. I pay property tax on everything the "shop" owns. The state and federal government certainly think I am a bike shop. I pay taxes on my business to the IRS and they also think I am a business.

I do not discount work to anyone. I have often done work for other shops. Seems like few can build wheels anymore. .

nicrump
09-27-2014, 03:57 PM
dup, delete

bikinchris
09-27-2014, 07:01 PM
i started my home "garage" repair shop with pick up and drop off service back in '95 and the only dist that wouldn't talk was QBP and i wasn't interested in cost plus 10 anyways. i even got my shimano account back then.

i think in 2014 it is just as easy. you just have to present it to them right. doesn't hurt to have good credit and industry refs.

kinda like this.

Yep, I tried that. I also got extra points for working as a cycling instructor and being active in local advocacy and club activities. But it didn't sway them enough.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Yep, I tried that. I also got extra points for working as a cycling instructor and being active in local advocacy and club activities. But it didn't sway them enough.

Is your biggest complaint with QBP? There are many others around that stock, ship and price as well. Hawley, Security, Trek(for P&E), any of the new shimano distributors, KHS..even J&B..with the QBP behemoth they are hungry to take some biz from QBP..have you called them? Particularly Hawley.