PDA

View Full Version : Frameset Advice

nroche31
09-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am looking for some advice. I would like to purchase a new frameset this fall and would like to keep it under $2,000. Would prefer Carbon but open to other options.

Currently reside in Dubuque, Iowa. Very hilly terrain so something that climbs and descends well is a must. Would prefer a framset that would allow at least 25mm tires as well.

Was looking at a new 2014 Cervelo R3 but would like to know if there are better options for the money.

Thanks,
Nick

FlashUNC
09-23-2014, 11:48 AM
If you're looking for bang for your buck, I've had buddies who've got either Fuji or Diamondback's latest carbon framesets and been very happy with them.

AngryScientist
09-23-2014, 11:54 AM
fit is the most important.

if you own a bike and ride now, you probably have a pretty good idea of what your ideal fit would be. each of the manufacturers have their own quirks with regard to geometry, best to decide on what you're looking for in a fit (virtual top tube, head tube length, angles...) and then check the geometry charts for several of the bikes you are considering. most of the big names right now are making phenomenal bikes, if you get one that fits, you really cant go wrong.

Ken Robb
09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Also consider how tires wider than 700x23 will fit. Many riders have found that they like riding 700x28 tires and lots of modern frames won't allow that. Heck, some can't even fit 700x25. Once I find frames that let me achieve a comfortable position tire clearance would probably be the deciding factor for me.

tumbler
09-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Also consider how tires wider than 700x23 will fit. Many riders have found that they like riding 700x28 tires and lots of modern frames won't allow that. Heck, some can't even fit 700x25. Once I find frames that let me achieve a comfortable position tire clearance would probably be the deciding factor for me.

+1. I spend a lot of time the last 6 months or so contemplating frames. This was an important factor for me since I like to run 25s/28s. There are a lot of frame makers who incorporate this into their design, and others who can't fathom why anyone would want to run anything larger than a 23.

bargainguy
09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
If you aren't opposed to the big three, the Cannondale Synapse and Trek Domane both have new technologies in frame design and isolation decoupling, and I think they're within your price point.

That having been said, if he hadn't passed recently, I'd recommend Tom E. Teesdale (TET Cycles), a custom framebuilder from your fair state.

fiamme red
09-23-2014, 01:46 PM

palincss
09-23-2014, 02:16 PM
+1. I spend a lot of time the last 6 months or so contemplating frames. This was an important factor for me since I like to run 25s/28s. There are a lot of frame makers who incorporate this into their design, and others who can't fathom why anyone would want to run anything larger than a 23.

And isn't Cervelo famously one of those that won't fit > 23mm?

fa63
09-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Older ones, yes. The newer ones are claimed to accommodate at least 25 mm.

RedRider
09-23-2014, 02:36 PM
If you are looking for a complete new bicycle for around $2000 I would suggest an aluminum frame with a carbon fork. At that price point, you can get a good quality aluminum frame that will perform well. The carbon spec'd at that level is low quality and, having tested a few, has a "dead" feel. The latest aluminum manufacturing process allows the frames to be light, stiff and yet reasonably comfortable.

scho74
09-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Get some high quality steel. Great price as well.

http://wraithfabrication.com/collections/bicycles/products/the-hustle

shovelhd
09-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Felt Fc, which is now the F1. This is definitely not a beginners frame. Pro quality.

josephr
09-23-2014, 02:50 PM
If you are looking for a complete new bicycle for around $2000 I would suggest an aluminum frame with a carbon fork. At that price point, you can get a good quality aluminum frame that will perform well. The carbon spec'd at that level is low quality and, having tested a few, has a "dead" feel. The latest aluminum manufacturing process allows the frames to be light, stiff and yet reasonably comfortable.

doubt thats's true with the R3 but I've had friends get the entry level CF bikes (one is a Trek Domane the other is a Jamis Endura) only to find they weigh as much as aluminum bikes once they're all decked out in entry level parts. I love my Cannondale Synapse (aluminum) --- the 2015s are out have 11 speed Shimano 105 for $1500 and spend the rest on a nice wheelset and still have a pretty decent back-up wheelset.
Joe

josephr
09-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Get some high quality steel. Great price as well.

http://wraithfabrication.com/collections/bicycles/products/the-hustle

ouch...that price is steep....the website says $460 but then the drop-down menu says $1350...

nroche31
09-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all replies so far. RedRider, I am just looking for a frameset at this price point. I have a 2007 Specialized TriCross Expert with a Dura-ace groupset that I plan on switching over.

I am also considering the Hampsten Maglia Rosa il Carbonio. They currently reduced the price from 2600 to 2100 and it sounds like a pretty nice frameset. It is made from Columbus Tubi's Genius Carbon. Any experience with this frame or perhaps another bike that utilizes the genius carbon?

Thanks again!

RedRider
09-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all replies so far. RedRider, I am just looking for a frameset at this price point. I have a 2007 Specialized TriCross Expert with a Dura-ace groupset that I plan on switching over.

I am also considering the Hampsten Maglia Rosa il Carbonio. They currently reduced the price from 2600 to 2100 and it sounds like a pretty nice frameset. It is made from Columbus Tubi's Genius Carbon. Any experience with this frame or perhaps another bike that utilizes the genius carbon?

Thanks again!

I still think you should look at aluminum or steel. There are some very good stock frames available and high end custom steel starts at about $2500. No carbon frame can compete at that price level.

nroche31
09-23-2014, 03:55 PM
any builders that you are fond of that would be within that price point? I know those new Lemond steel frames are priced at 1800 and come with an ENVE fork and Chris King headset. I believe they are manufactured in North America as well.

RMcRee
09-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Hmm. I think its the opposite--at your price point if you don't need a custom frame then a mass-produced carbon frame will beat any aluminum or steel production frame. But if you want custom carbon then, yeah, you need bigger bucks. But the production carbon frames from Cannondale, Trek, etc are good.

Just my two cents.

Randy

RMcRee
09-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Not sure if that Hampsten is produced to the same quality as Cannondale or Trek, :p but, wow, it looks nice

http://www.hampsten.com/maglia-rosa-il-carbonario/

I would go for something other than gray paint!

Given Hampsten's reputation I doubt that you can go wrong.

tumbler
09-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Hmm. I think its the opposite--at your price point if you don't need a custom frame then a mass-produced carbon frame will beat any aluminum or steel production frame. But if you want custom carbon then, yeah, you need bigger bucks. But the production carbon frames from Cannondale, Trek, etc are good.

Just my two cents.

Randy

I agree. I don't think he'll be disappointed with a $2k carbon frameset from Trek, Giant, Bianchi, Cannondale, BMC, Specialized, etc. Unless you're specifically looking to throw unnecessary thousand$ at a frame because people on the internet like it, I would look at the offerings from these guys and then head out for some test rides. You might as well try to take a spin on something steel or Ti while you're at it.

bikinchris
09-23-2014, 04:23 PM
A steel crown jewel frame and fork is $2295.00 from your local Independent Fabrication outlet. That's a top notch custom frame that is not heavy and rides awesome. One with a carbon fork is not a whole lot more.

ceolwulf
09-23-2014, 04:27 PM
$2k carbon frameset from ..., BMC

Can't be done unfortunately as BMC only sell their top-range frames as framesets and those start at $alot.

However I would seriously consider buying complete in this price range, I suspect you end up with better value usually, unless you already have a build kit. And in that case the SLR02 would be worth a close look. (As would others of course like Scott Addict etc.)

scho74
09-23-2014, 05:32 PM
ouch...that price is steep....the website says $460 but then the drop-down menu says $1350...

$460 is the deposit price, and that's part of the $1350 total. Great price for Columbus Life frame and full carbon fork!

shovelhd
09-23-2014, 05:34 PM
No way the frame in an $1800 carbon bike is anywhere near as good as an $1800 carbon frameset from the same manufacturer. Not in my experience.

ceolwulf
09-23-2014, 06:14 PM
No way the frame in an $1800 carbon bike is anywhere near as good as an $1800 carbon frameset from the same manufacturer. Not in my experience.

If you are referring to what I said I hope that wasn't how it was understood. I had in mind that getting a complete for $3k or $4k would get you a better value than a $2k frame and buying everything separately. Just to be clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cornfed
09-23-2014, 06:15 PM

+2. I grew up in your area, so I know how bad the roads are there. Bigger tires will make a world of difference when it comes to surviving cracks, rumble strips, expansion joints, and railroad tracks.

And I would look local and used. A lot of folks buy new bikes for RAGBRAI, then sell them afterward. I would probably trust a used steel bike more than a used carbon bike, but now is a good time to find some deals back there.

Good luck!

RMcRee
09-23-2014, 07:31 PM
More free advice: if going used you can't beat a titanium frame. They will last forever. My current bike is an old Litespeed classic, still going strong.

My carbon bike was destroyed by a car, but I'm looking for another...

Randy

Netdewt
09-23-2014, 07:41 PM
I still think you should look at aluminum or steel. There are some very good stock frames available and high end custom steel starts at about $2500. No carbon frame can compete at that price level.

Rock Lobster and Curtlo (just to name a few) are well under $2k if I remember correctly.

one60
09-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Trek's tier 2 carbon frame made from their 500 series carbon is going for $1450. You should be able to test ride a bike built up around this frame at a Trek shop to decide if its what you are looking for.The one I saw looked like it should fit 25c no problem & probably 28c tires

oliver1850
09-24-2014, 01:09 AM
If you're looking for bang for your buck, I've had buddies who've got either Fuji or Diamondback's latest carbon framesets and been very happy with them.

Funny Joe should mention DB as the first thing I thought of was my Podium 6.

If the OP can ride a 59 square, I'd be happy to let him test ride it.

Highpowernut
09-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Make sure you have fit and function first, I went thru this last winter and spring. I wanted a "good " road bike as my tri bike was great.

I wanted durability, light, comfortable. I decided I wanted a Ti frame. Searched and finally found a legend ti in my size. Used parts build up at first, finally upgraded and couldn't be happier.

Long story but the better you define what you want, the answer will be there.

Good luck

lhuerta
09-25-2014, 11:10 AM
...it is going to be hard to beat the new Cervelo R3 frame @ $2K price point. It has all the trickle-down tech of the flagship RCa (including new aero tubes and future proof cable inserts) but with slightly different layup. And yes, the new frames are designed for 25c and wider tires. Cervelo geo is fairly neutral but a good fitting will determine whether it suits you.Lou