PDA

View Full Version : Jens Voigt's hour wheels

Dr Luxurious
09-23-2014, 10:28 AM
It just occurred to me that his wheels were flat, no dimples.

Hey Zipp... did you notice that??? :p

Auk
09-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Pretty par for the course when it comes to track disc.

nooneline
09-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Those are PRO track disc wheels. Like many track discs, they are lenticular: lens shaped, rather than a flat 'disc' shape. The carbon goes outward from the rim down to the 'hub flanges' instead of straight down from the rim to the hub.

Zipp, the only maker of dimpled rims and wheels, doesn't make a lenticular disc.

Lenticular gives you a much stronger wheel (even Zipp says that). That's important when you have guys who can put out over 2000 watts sprinting through 43-degree turns.

Dr Luxurious
09-24-2014, 12:10 AM
I went back & looked and yep, lenticular. Those giant stopwatch decals do a little trompe l'oeil.
Still, Zipp may want to reconsider their "fastest wheel ever" ad copy. Maybe in a low-speed wind tunnel under certain controlled conditions but...

bicycletricycle
09-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Maybe jeans could have set a real hour record if he had dimples

rnhood
09-24-2014, 04:10 AM
You need to realize that Zipp makes wheels for real world road use, which happens to be a much larger market than the indoor track time trial market. So they use wind tunnel data to simulate real world conditions in an outside environment when a rider is moving down the road. There exists the possibility that winds can be shifty and come from different directions. You don't have shifting and cross winds on an indoor track. In fact the only wind there is apparent (self generated from forward motion).

I suspect Zipp knows a thing or two about wheels.

Dr Luxurious
09-24-2014, 10:25 AM
I suspect Zipp knows a thing or two about wheels.

and marketing