PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Gravel Clinchers for Iron Cross wheels

layneo59
09-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Recently purchased a Salsa Warbird 2 with Stan's Iron Cross tubeless wheels and Clement USH 35 tires. I would like to change out the tires to clinchers that are a little less "nubby" because the bike will be used 60% road/40% gravel. The challenge is the wheels have max pressure of 45 psi. Most of the tires I'm looking at have minimum pressures above 45 psi. I looked on the Stan's website and they list many clinchers, but most have minimum pressures above 45. Also looked on other forums and saw several "corporate responses" from Stan's--shoulbn't go over 45.

Any recommendations on tires and/or the wheels?

eBAUMANN
09-22-2014, 03:53 PM
keep in mind that the larger you go with tire size, the lower you can go with pressure while still maintaining the same firmness you would have experienced on a smaller tire with a higher PSI....that was a mouth(finger?)ful ;)

for example, IMO, 30-35psi on a 40c tire feels kinda like 35-40psi on a 33c tire.

rider weight, terrain, and riding style also becomes a factor, obviously.

if you want to run tubeless though, everything I've read suggests deviating from tubeless specific rims and tires is asking from trouble so maybe try the stans with your new tires first before looking elsewhere?

also, I've found that the min/max tire pressures labeled on tires are not absolutes...just recommendations for "optimum" performance.
any 32-38c tire should be fine at 45psi...i would HOPE, otherwise someone is doing something wrong at the R&D lab.

vqdriver
09-22-2014, 06:47 PM
If clincher I'd go with a file tread. I went with the clement las for mine but there's a handful out there.

http://clementcycling.com/las-clincher

kramnnim
09-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Stans used to say you could run higher pressures with tubes..

guido
09-23-2014, 06:39 AM
If you use a tube the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme in 32c or 35c are quite nice and work well at 55-65 lbs for me on Hed Belgium+ rims at 185 lbs rider weight...

jr59
09-23-2014, 07:19 AM
If you use a tube the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme in 32c or 35c are quite nice and work well at 55-65 lbs...

doesn't that depend on the riders weight?

danielpack22@ma
09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Have a look at this article.
http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

I've found that the pressures listed in the chart work well for me.

guido
09-23-2014, 08:01 AM
doesn't that depend on the riders weight?

Agreed. Updated with full info...

layneo59
09-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Thanks for everyone's recommendations.

I realize weight will affect the recommended tire pressure, but the chart/graph is very helpful.

Regarding Stan's "company response" it's interesting because up until about a year ago there are several posts from the company about using pressures in the 65-75psi range with these wheels. Sometime between then and now it looks like the attorneys got involved and the company now only recommends pressure up to 45.

I'm thinking that as long as I stay within the tire recommendations listed on the Stan's web, I should able to use higher pressures--not those of road tires, but in the 50-75 psi range.

Likes2ridefar
09-23-2014, 09:15 AM
If you use a tube the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme in 32c or 35c are quite nice and work well at 55-65 lbs for me on Hed Belgium+ rims at 185 lbs rider weight...

I've had the marathon plus version down to 15 or so psi before I finally decided it needed some air.

they are very heavy and slow rolling compared to a typical road bike tire but much faster/smoother than a knobby. you'll not get a flat and they work great on any terrain I've visited from single track to commuting in the debris covered NYC streets.